Heatsink performance - direct mounted fan vs case fan proxy

Cooling Processors quietly

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Jordan

Heatsink performance - direct mounted fan vs case fan proxy

Post by Jordan » Thu Jun 23, 2011 3:59 am

I've just purchased some upgrades, including a TRUE 120 Rev.C based on SPCR finding it to perform the best of all current heatsinks with a Nexus RS 120mm @ 5v strapped on. Obviously the 1/2C difference between it and its closest competitors is probably close enough to be within the margin of error.

However, I won't be running it with a fan strapped on @ 5v, I'll be running it alongside a rear case fan (Nexus RS 120mm) which is temperature controlled by the Mobo. Currently I have this configuration with a Scythe Ninja and half the time the rear fan doesn't even come on so it's passive half of the time and the for the rest it's cooled by proxy, so to speak.

The thing about the TRUE, though, is it goes against the theory that sparse fins are best for very low airflow, which I've always felt was the reason the Ninja has been exceptional in my set-up. So my question is - is the Nexus RS @ 5v directly mounted different enough from a case fan, a few cm behind and offset a little, to give quite different results? Would the TRUE still be on top?

I've always wondered whether it would be worthwhile for Mike and the guys to cover this during heatsink reviews, or if it's at least been tested? I know reviews are time consuming enough without adding more tasks on top.

Jordan

Re: Heatsink performance - direct mounted fan vs case fan pr

Post by Jordan » Fri Jun 24, 2011 3:05 pm

I suspect it's a case of TL;DR :(

ame

Post by ame » Fri Jun 24, 2011 8:41 pm

I'm guessing - due to tight spacing of the fins on TRUE revC its better to have a fan mounted. Noise wise it shouldn't be a big deal, but for someone running passive Ninja for a few years I can see how mounting a fan can be a hard sell (psychologically).
I have TRUE rev1 with a fixed low RPM (~500) fan mounted on it. I also (like you) have the exhaust fan temp controlled 600-800 RPM. I'm not obsessed with having no fans, or near passive setup. This is quiet and can handle anything I do while keeping it very cool so that components last longer.

ces

Post by ces » Sun Jun 26, 2011 4:13 am

Jordan wrote:However, I won't be running it with a fan strapped on @ 5v, I'll be running it alongside a rear case fan (Nexus RS 120mm) which is temperature controlled by the Mobo. Currently I have this configuration with a Scythe Ninja and half the time the rear fan doesn't even come on so it's passive half of the time and the for the rest it's cooled by proxy, so to speak.
The best CPU cooler for such a setup is the HR-01 Plus with the thermalright fan duct
http://www.thermalright.com/new_a_page/ ... _duct.html

The thermalright HR-01 seems to outperform pretty much every other cpu cooler at pure passive, even the larger HR-02 and Orochi coolers. With the related duct it works well with a case fan.

Jordan

Post by Jordan » Tue Jun 28, 2011 11:23 am

The HR-01, TRUE etc. don't fit LGA 1155/1156, and the bracket that was made for it seems to have been pulled as I can't get it anywhere. The sceptic in my is thinking Thermalright have pulled this, forcing people to upgrade.

Looks like the HR-02 might be my best bet then, thanks. Wonder if SPCR have a review coming up...

SevenFour

Post by SevenFour » Tue Jun 28, 2011 11:41 am

Jordan wrote:Looks like the HR-02 might be my best bet then, thanks. Wonder if SPCR have a review coming up...
Not likely, MikeC wrote the following:
MikeC wrote:
systemlayers wrote:Mike do you plan to review the HR-02? Or only if someone happens to donate one to you for review?
We actually have had one in the lab... but we found it is not quite as good as the HR01 for truly fanless cooling, this is no surprise given the tighter spacing of the fins... and Thermalright asked us not to post our findings. It is very good with a fan at low speed or with a peripheral fan nearby, like so many quality TR heatsinks, but as I've mentioned many times in the last few years, I would not recommend a fanless system except for unusual, exceptional circumstances. Just a wee bit of forced airflow improves cooling so dramatically... (typically >10C for either CPU w/ half decent HS or HDD) and possibly doubles VRM life. Inaudible = silent in 99% of conditions, and a quiet enough fan (or 2 or 3) is inaudible.
Taken from the following thread:
I do not want to hear this system...

Jordan

Post by Jordan » Wed Jun 29, 2011 12:27 pm

Thanks for all the replies everyone :)

Does anyone know the actual fin spacing on the HR-02? SPCR seem to be the only place that ever reference them, and of course they didn't post the review...

Tephras

Post by Tephras » Wed Jun 29, 2011 10:59 pm