Scythe Gentle Typhoon First impressions (pics added 8.8.09)

Control: management of fans, temp/rpm monitoring via soft/hardware

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Newk Yuler

6 Gentle Typhoon fans

Post by Newk Yuler » Tue Sep 01, 2009 7:31 pm

Updating. - I put 5 of the Gentle Typhoon 120mm 1150s and one 92mm 1700 in an Antec 902 case. That's one of Antec's gamer cases with a 200mm fan in the top. I pulled all of the Antec fans, closed the top and modded a sealed port for a push-pull on a Scythe Mugen 2 heat sink to vent out the top of the case. I'm running two Asus EAH4770 in Crossfire (GPU on newest 40nm fabrication). The good news is the system runs virtually quiet when idling against ambient room noise. I'm very happy with the Gentle Typhoon fans. Unbelievably smooth fans!

The Gentle Typhoon fans need a formal SPCR review.

- Rand

RoGuE

Post by RoGuE » Tue Sep 01, 2009 7:37 pm

pics or it didn't happen...

Newk Yuler

Post by Newk Yuler » Wed Sep 02, 2009 12:37 am

RoGuE wrote:pics or it didn't happen...
You talkin' to me?

I'm not boasting my toy but showing is no big deal. I took a bunch of pix along the build for later reference. These are in reverse order. It's not finished by the last image. One of the 120mm 1150s is mounted in the front of the case.

The forum is giving me a problem with the link because I haven't made 3 posts. You'll have to figure it out...

s858.photobucket.

com/albums/ab143/Newk-Yuler/

- Rand

JazzJackRabbit

Post by JazzJackRabbit » Wed Sep 02, 2009 4:21 am

Heh, seems like a lot of good feedback on this fan. My Nexus exhaust fan is nearing its life, it has trouble starting at low voltages and hub noise is increasing, when I touch it I can feel lubrication is gone.

Only problem is I've tried so many fans that I think this might be just another "flavor of the month". I've tried panaflo, silenx, nexus, papst, noctua, various scythe fans, they all sound more or less the same, some are more disappointing than others.

Anyway, on a brighter note, can anyone tell me what kind of RPM do you get around 7 volts with 1150 model? Thanks!

RoGuE

Post by RoGuE » Wed Sep 02, 2009 6:22 am

http://s858.photobucket.com/albums/ab143/Newk-Yuler/

i fixed the link for u.

Cool pictures

DrCR

Post by DrCR » Wed Sep 02, 2009 1:11 pm

Pics or you don't exist.

... couldn't resist. ;)

silence

Post by silence » Thu Oct 01, 2009 8:30 am

Just wanted to share an observation about the composition of the frame of the Gentle Typhoon fans. I bought one of the 500RPM models a few months ago to use in the top exhaust position of my P183.

Because the corners of this fan are "semi-closed" I had to remove material from two of the corners to use with the clip-style mounting of this fan position (why oh why didn't Antec change this??). When clipping the material away with tin snips, I found that the corners of the fan frame started to crack, as if the composition of the frame is more of a fiberglass than the usual plastic of, say, the S-Flex fans.

I'm not sure what relationship this has to the observations thejamppa made about vibrations, but it would begin to explain them. If anyone else needs to remove material from one of these fans, you would be much better served by a Dremel or file rather than tin snips or clippers.

coreyography

Post by coreyography » Tue Oct 06, 2009 8:38 pm

I'm using the 1850 rpm model as one of my front intake fans on an Antec P183. I find the noise character to be quite pleasing, just a slight woosh of air, at full RPM. My "handemometer" doesn't think it pushes quite as much air as my S-Flex SFF21G, but it is close and is much quieter at full speed (it doesn't have the "propeller" noise the S-Flex has above around 1300 rpm).

I want some more of them, but good luck finding them right now. Everyone's out of stock.

Dezeer

Post by Dezeer » Sat Oct 17, 2009 10:00 am

Hi

Have anybody tried the 1850rpm version @7V and what it would be compared to a 1450rpm or 1150rpm @12V?
JamieG wrote:Sounds like an SPCR review is definitely in order.
I hope it too.

JazzJackRabbit

Post by JazzJackRabbit » Thu Oct 29, 2009 6:20 am

Got two 1150 versions. Very very low airflow noise, almost none actually, I think very aggressive fan blade shape is what's responsible here. Unfortunately both fans exhibit a very nasty bearing noise. It is quiet, but the noise character is very annoying in a quiet room, like a quiet screech. Real pity considering lack of airflow noise. I've sort of gotten used to it, but I'm looking at different fans now to replace Typhoons.

sxr71

Post by sxr71 » Tue Mar 16, 2010 1:10 am

Newk Yuler wrote:
You talkin' to me?

I'm not boasting my toy but showing is no big deal. I took a bunch of pix along the build for later reference. These are in reverse order. It's not finished by the last image. One of the 120mm 1150s is mounted in the front of the case.

The forum is giving me a problem with the link because I haven't made 3 posts. You'll have to figure it out...

s858.photobucket.

com/albums/ab143/Newk-Yuler/

- Rand
Very, very nice. You've got the exact foam surround that I had in mind for my next build. It looks great.

On a pedantic note, that's 2 fans in series. Push-Pull is 2 fans on opposite sides of the sink. One pushing and one pulling. Nothing wrong with that at all - it provides higher static pressure just the same.

sxr71

Post by sxr71 » Tue Mar 16, 2010 1:12 am

Dezeer wrote:Hi

Have anybody tried the 1850rpm version @7V and what it would be compared to a 1450rpm or 1150rpm @12V?
JamieG wrote:Sounds like an SPCR review is definitely in order.
I hope it too.
I'd like to try this as well. To have reserve power available. I've generally had really good luck undervolting faster fans.

ces

Post by ces » Tue Mar 16, 2010 5:36 am

Check this info on the Gentle Typhoons. Compare the 1850 running at 5 volts with the other versions of the fan at 5 volts:

http://www.xbitlabs.com/misc/picture/?s ... ig.png&1=1

http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/cooler ... up_18.html

b3nbranch
*Lifetime Patron*

Gentle Typhoon 1150 rpm

Post by b3nbranch » Tue Mar 16, 2010 10:41 am

Another observation point. I have two 1150rpm Gentle Typhoons in a new build, inside an SG05 mini-ITX case, one replacing the front fan, and one blowing down through a Coolermaster Geminii S. Both are undervolted though Zalman fanmate, but the BIOS is reporting flaky RPMs (at full speed they're doing 6100 RPM? I don't think so.)

They are generally quiet, but do have a tone, but the tone does disappear. On the first two days I was concerned, but now I don't even notice it until I turn the computer off. Any other noise in the room -- my wife's Apple Time Capsule firing up, the heat-pump/AC starting up -- and it's as good as silent.

Telstar

Re: Gentle Typhoon 1150 rpm

Post by Telstar » Sun Jun 26, 2011 3:04 am

Still no review? :)

GuyClinch

Re: Scythe Gentle Typhoon First impressions (pics added 8.8.

Post by GuyClinch » Sun Jun 26, 2011 12:39 pm

GT's are some of the best fans out there - maybe the best. But in fairness they need to spin faster to move as much air. The large center means that there is more of dead spot - and thus the blades need to go faster to move the same air. This doesn't mean they are a bad fan - on the contrary its possible to use them at speeds that would be horrible for a regular 120mm fan.

The only downside is all but the very fast 30 and 31 seem to be unavailable..

ces

Post by ces » Sun Jun 26, 2011 1:56 pm

GuyClinch wrote:the blades need to go faster to move the same air.
The higher speeds are to a large extent a result of the lower attack angles of the fan blade... but these are what contributes to their high static pressure performance. So it looks to me that it is an intentional design trade off. You can't get one without the other.

It does appear that their use of real ball bearings may contribute to higher sample variance than other types of designs. I was told by an engineer with some experience in the matter that fans with real ball bearings can be more easily damaged in shipping. And it seems like there are a fair number of online complaints that seem to be attributable to this.

Still they are great fans. I don't think any other fan can compare with them if you are talking about low dB / high static pressure performance. At the same high static pressure environment, they should deliver more CFM with lower noise than other fans. Don't forget that in high static pressure situations, increases in static pressure increase noise, even if you are able to hold the speed constant (sort of like the luffing of a sail at a high attack angle)

You just may have to factor in that you may get install a clunker before you get the right one installed.

GuyClinch

Post by GuyClinch » Sun Jun 26, 2011 5:01 pm

I totally agree:

They are great fans - I I found some for a reasonable price I would pick up a bunch. My point is that people are like oh at 1150 its so quiet. Sure. But so are slipstreams at 800. Still a great fan - and the high static pressure make it fantastic for alot of applications.

Telstar

Post by Telstar » Mon Jun 27, 2011 12:59 am

GuyClinch wrote:I totally agree:

They are great fans - I I found some for a reasonable price I would pick up a bunch. My point is that people are like oh at 1150 its so quiet. Sure. But so are slipstreams at 800. Still a great fan - and the high static pressure make it fantastic for alot of applications.
There are a few very good silent fans in the <1000rpm range.
It's in the upper range of the 1850 where the GT show their best virtues imo. CFM/noise ratio is second to none (esp @10-11v).

ces

Re:

Post by ces » Mon Jun 27, 2011 4:26 am

JazzJackRabbit wrote:Heh, seems like a lot of good feedback on this fan. My Nexus exhaust fan is nearing its life, it has trouble starting at low voltages and hub noise is increasing, when I touch it I can feel lubrication is gone.
Read this: Oiling an old fan
viewtopic.php?p=541788#p541788

GuyClinch

Post by GuyClinch » Mon Jun 27, 2011 11:16 pm

I am on the fence if I should get some of these for my PC or go with noise blocker black silent pros. The NBs are bit more but come with sleeved cables (and two different cable lengths) and also have PWM version..

ces

Post by ces » Tue Jun 28, 2011 4:06 am

GuyClinch wrote:I am on the fence if I should get some of these for my PC or go with noise blocker black silent pros. The NBs are bit more but come with sleeved cables (and two different cable lengths) and also have PWM version..
Either route will be a good decision.

Darth Santa Fe

Post by Darth Santa Fe » Tue Jun 28, 2011 8:28 pm

I use both a GT and a NoiseBlocker Multiframe (which I assume has similar acoustic quality to the Black Silent). Up close, the GT has a smoother and less noticable sound, but the NB is also so quiet I can't hear it over the rest of the computer. I usually keep both running at around 900 RPM. I should note that the GT has a ringing tone at some speeds, and the NB is quiet at all speeds. I would recommend either fan as a good option.