Lull in CPU Market?

All about them.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

echo

Lull in CPU Market?

Post by echo » Mon Jun 20, 2011 9:04 pm

Hey all, I am looking to build a new machine before the start of the 2011-2012 school year for my master's research. I have finally given up on fans and am looking to build an "eerily" silent workstation. My plan is to have a fanless, completely solid state workstation sitting on my desk. The only mechanical thing in the entire system will be an optical drive.

For this, I was thinking about using the i7-2600K in a Mini-ITX motherboard. The only issue, is that while shopping around on the major online retailers, I've noticed that the product selection is dwindling. It seems as if there is a lull in the market in anticipation for a new platform. I thought Ivy Bridge wasn't due until the end of 2011, so I am not sure if this lull is a misinterpretation on my end, or if there is something I am unaware of.

Have any of you noticed the same thing or am I completely off my rocker? Should I wait for something or is upgrading from my current i7-920 worth it?

Anatorax

Re: Lull in CPU Market?

Post by Anatorax » Thu Jun 23, 2011 2:24 am

1) Why do you want to upgrade from i7-920? Even if you are doing some super CPU-intensive tasks for your master's degree, your CPU is perfectly fine. Getting a new mobo and CPU and getting rid of the old ones will cost you money and time. Personally, I don't think that the difference in productivity is that large to justify all this.

2) Don't try to build a fanless system. Adding a slow fan adds a lot to cooling potential, but very little to the noise. Good 120mm fans are impossible to hear on 500rpm. Otherwise, you will have to install a HUGE heatsink to cool an i7 CPU and constantly keep the temps in mind.

atmartens

Post by atmartens » Sat Jul 02, 2011 11:03 am

We're probably 5 years away from ubiquitous fanless systems in people's desktops.

Abula

Post by Abula » Sat Jul 02, 2011 11:38 am

Personally im still sticking with i7 920, while the 2600K is faster, i dont need that kind of cpu power yet, i would consider it if i did much more encoding/editing, but for now the 920 is fine, i was waiting for Sandy Bridge E 6xcore cpu, but seems intel delayed their new 2011 socket platform for early 2012, now here get more complicated for me, as Ivy Bridge is planned for March/April.... so i might just skip it and wait for the Ivy Bridge i7 3600K (im making up the name), rumors say that Ivy Bridge will run 20% faster with 38% less enegy consumption, probably will run cooler, i still dont think it will be able to run fanless.

ces

Post by ces » Sat Jul 02, 2011 11:54 am

atmartens wrote:We're probably 5 years away from ubiquitous fanless systems in people's desktops.
That is what I thought when the first Apple Mac came out. Seems like the need for speed always drove things in the opposite direction... except for this last generation of Clarkdale chips. Maybe this time it is only five years away.... it sure is looking like it... but I have thought that before.