Llano mini-ITX build

Got a shopping cart of parts that you want opinions on? Get advice from members on your planned or existing system (or upgrade).

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

jensend

Llano mini-ITX build

Post by jensend » Sat Jul 16, 2011 5:43 pm

Though the Llano chip SPCR and most reviewers got (A8-3850) doesn't seem to be optimal for building a silent system, I was impressed enough by the 65W TDP A8-3800 (see http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/cpu/di ... 00_21.html) that I'm planning on building a system using either that or the A6-3600 when they hit retail (should be next month). A few mini-ITX FM1 boards have been announced (Gigabyte GA-A75N-USB3, Asus F1A75-I, ASRock A75M-ITX), and I'm guessing they'll hit the market around the same time.

I've already purchased a 96GB SSD and memory (2x4GB of 1.5V DDR3-1866 was on a really good sale) and paid the Microsoft tax, and I have a DVD burner I should be able to repurpose for it. So mostly it's down to case/power/cooling, and here I really could use some advice.

I'm looking for the smallest, quietest, and least expensive mini-ITX case I can find, subject to two restrictions:
  • I want the PCIE slot to at least be usable with low-profile cards in case of future expansion needs (so, for instance, the Antec ISK-100 is a no)
  • I think I'll need at least a 90W PSU (so all the 65W gear that has been used for Atom/Brazos mini-ITX setups won't work)
About the 90W estimate: though xbit's test using a full ATX board drew only 65W under CPU or GPU burn, they didn't have an optical drive, were using 4GB rather than 8GB RAM, and didn't look at CPU+GPU burn. So I think I'd want 90W available to be safe.

The best idea I've come up with so far has been to get an Antec ISK 300-65 and either see if the included DC-DC PSU will do 90W with a better power brick (viewtopic.php?p=488638#p488638) or just toss the included PSU in favor of a picoPSU-90-XLP. Better ideas, anyone?

Abula

Re: Llano mini-ITX build

Post by Abula » Sat Jul 16, 2011 11:09 pm

For a case, since you are looking for a cheap mini itx setup, maybe consider [urlhttp://www.amazon.com/MI-008-Tower-Black-Chass ... 363&sr=8-1]Apex MI-008[/url] (sometimes it drops to $39), its been reviewed here also, SPCR Apex MI-008: A Cheap Quiet mini-ITX Case?, i seen people even fit normal size PCI card, i even seen moded for dual slot big gpus. In case you want to see the case and a build, check

HTPC Build July 21, 2009 (Parts Overview)
HTPC Build Pt.2 (July 25, 2009)
HTPC Build Pt.3 (Final Product)

For PSU, seems interesting the PWR-PICOPSU-90-XLP you mentioned, as long as you are fine with 90W. Replacing the PSU on the MI-008 will free you some room on the top of the mobo, might allow you to use a better cpu cooler (depending on how deep you optical drives goes).

jensend

Post by jensend » Wed Jul 20, 2011 4:42 pm

I'll keep tabs on the MI-008 and its Apex kin in case of a sale sometime between now and when the processors come out. If I have to replace the PSU, at $45 it's an OK deal but not a slam dunk. Since even the stock HSF for Llano is 5cm (http://forums.hexus.net/hexus-hardware/ ... ost2103458) I think having to replace the PSU is pretty much inevitable.

I wonder whether any of the other closely related Apex cases might be free of PSU HSF height clearance problems. Other models include the MI-100, 105, 110, and a couple of Rosewill-branded cases which apparently must be sourced from the same supplier because they look identical to Apex ones e.g. the RS-MI-01. Any other suggestions? I'm willing to spend somewhat more than the $45 esp. for gear which includes a PSU I won't have to /really want to replace...

By the by, I'm seeing things which claim that some DVD burners require preposterous amounts of power on spinup, which could be a problem if I end up trying to use a picoPSU. How have people dealt with this? I'd rather use an internal if possible and AFAIK slimlines are often expensive and (depending on the case) problematic to mount.

merlin
Friend of SPCR

Post by merlin » Wed Jul 20, 2011 11:09 pm

Btw the ISK-300 was confirmed to be able to handle a 90w power brick and possibly even more. It's actually the option I'm taking...but only assuming the 65w doesn't work. I'm building a core i3-2100 htpc and hoping it'll stay within power parameters. (Almost done too!)
Important to note, the ISK-300 only takes slim dvd burners.