PSU for my small+quiet PC (Antec NSK3480)

Got a shopping cart of parts that you want opinions on? Get advice from members on your planned or existing system (or upgrade).

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Passa

PSU for my small+quiet PC (Antec NSK3480)

Post by Passa » Mon Jul 18, 2011 7:55 pm

Hi guys,

I've had an in-progress build for a while now. Currently my specs are as follows:
  • i5-760 (stock clocks)
    Corsair H50 water cooler
    2x2GB DDR3-1333 RAM
    Corsair m4 64GB SSD
    1TB Samsung F3
    GeForce GTX 285 1GB
    Coolermaster eXtreme Power 650w
    Antec NSK3480 case
The CM PSU is awfully loud and despite being normal ATX size, prevents me from plugging in all the cables for my optical drive (the NSK3480 is really cramped). After some research, I found the Nexus NX-5000 to be a viable replacement, though it needs to be imported from overseas (I'm an Australian) and will cost me around $150.

My question is, will a 530w PSU power my current specs? What about when I upgrade my GTX 285 to a GTX 560 Ti? Nvidia recommends a 500w for the 560 Ti, but I've got my eyes on the MSI Hawk model, which has a huge factory overclock and uses a tonne more power.

Does anyone have a better PSU suggestion? Keeping in mind my size requirements - has to be 150mm x 140mm at most (standard), preferably smaller. A modular 150x140 would be nice but I haven't found one. Or perhaps an NSK3480 with suggestions? :)

Thanks!

Passa

Re: PSU for my small+quiet PC (Antec NSK3480)

Post by Passa » Tue Jul 19, 2011 9:17 pm

I've done some more research, if the Nexus is a no go (530w not being enough power), what about the Enermax NAXN 600W 80+? Does anyone have experience with this PSU? I can't find any decent reviews online. I can get it for around ~$60 cheaper (including shipping) than the Nexus:

http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?mai ... s_id=16693

The disadvantage is it isn't 80 Bronze (only 80 standard) and is a normal 150mm X 140mm. But the manufacturer claims it is quiet. If the Nexus is definitely enough power, I suppose I'd still prefer it to this Enermax (I haven't even heard of them before..)

kater

Post by kater » Wed Jul 20, 2011 9:47 am

A decent 430W will pull you rig w/o problems. Be it 285 or 560 or some such. Even when/if you start OCing you CPU. I guess you may just hit 300W load at the wall if you crank the CPU. Perhaps 350W if you go wild. That means that you'll be pulling some 15% less energy from the PSU, which in turn puts you in a very safe territory. A 500W PSU is sill reasonable, and 600W is overkill. Of course, these days gold certificates are easiest to find on 600W and larger units, so you may just for one like that. Provided it is small enough to fit.
Bottom point - even a 400-430 watter is a v safe choice for you rig.

For VGA power consumption number I like to go to TechPowerUp
http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/MSI/ ... _Frozr_II/

See for yourself. Tops 220W for the card, tops 150W for the rest of the PC. And that's not while gaming, but under unrealistic stress, such as LinX + 3DMark or some such.

As for brands, Enermax is top tier PSU maker. Just brows SPCRs PSU review section. Nexus is also a trustworthy maker, and its Value PSU is v quiet. I'd consider all Enermaxes to be quiet enough for just about anybody, but the most hardcore silencers. Do you have access to Seasonic, Antecs or Corsair units?

And of course you have read SCPRs PSU review section, haven't you?

Passa

Post by Passa » Wed Jul 20, 2011 1:51 pm

Wow, great reply! Yes, I have access to Antec, Seasonic, Corsair etc. The problem is their higher quality and quiet PSUs are too large to fit in my case. For example, the entire Neo Eco range is actually 150mm X 150mm.

Yep, read the review section, which is how I got onto the Nexus NX-5000. :) I may go for the Enermax given the ~$60 less that I'll be paying. From the comments I've read online, it's most efficient when not drawing near its 600w rating so it may be fairly suitable for me.

kater

Post by kater » Wed Jul 20, 2011 10:13 pm

Just checked you PC vendor site - you got some nice selection down under, we'll pick sth, worry not.

S12II-430 / 520 Bronze non-modular are 150 x 140 x 86. I've the 430 and it sure is small. A capable and v quiet unit. My main system (moderately OCed CPU & GPU) draws about 280W at the wall during Stalker. By this time the stock VGA cooler is so loud all other noise is not a problem. Point is - if your system draws a similar amount of power or more, your CPU and GPU fans will most likely drown out the PSU. And in idle the S12 is drowned out by my HDD (coolers & fans being v v quiet in idle). Sure, it's not super quiet and won't stop its fan like the newer SS do, but it's a budget unit, duh.

Check other Seasonics for size:
http://www.seasonic.com/product/pc_retail.jsp

Also, Antec EarthWatts EA500 is 150 x 140 x 86 - it's only 80Plus, but perhaps you can live with that. Also, it has a back mounted 80 mm fan, which I assume may get slightly louder under load - but gain, once you really load your PC, other fans will chime in and the PSU may not be a noise factor anymore.

The NAXN 500W is a small unit, but I haven't read any reviews on it. Still, Enermaxes are generally v quiet, so mebbe worth a try?

Personally, I'd go with one of the S12 - I've had SS PSU since I discovered the site in 2005. I'm sold to SS for life ;)

Passa

Post by Passa » Thu Jul 21, 2011 3:31 am

Wow, thanks! That was incredibly helpful! I don't know how I missed that the S12II series was 140mm on the long side.

From your advice, I just ordered a 520w S12II and a GTX 560 Ti Hawk. :) Can't wait! I shall post some pictures of my build in the relevant section of this forum once it's all set up. Thanks again.