Intel DH67CF not compatible with heatsink backplates

All about them.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

matt_garman
*Lifetime Patron*

Intel DH67CF not compatible with heatsink backplates

Post by matt_garman » Thu Aug 04, 2011 5:03 am

I've been working on a Sandy Bridge mini-ITX HTPC. Originally I wanted to use the Intel DH67CF (aka BOXDH67CFB3) motherboard, given its reputation for lower power consumption. As I posted in this thread, with stock fan, 2x4GB RAM, SSD, 140mm case fan, and picoPSU 160, i5-2500k, I got 22 Watts AC idle power consumption. Not bad!

But last night I received the heatsink I really want to use - a Thermalright AXP-140 RT. First installation step was to mount the backplate. But that wasn't possible, as there's a huge integrated circuit (IC) on the back of the motherboard, right next to the stock steel socket plate. It's easy to see if you look at Newegg's picture: select the picture of the back of the board, and you can see that huge IC above the socket plate, left of center. It's right next to the heatsink mounting hole. That IC is actually a millimeter or two thicker than the steel plate.

At least with the AXP-140's backplate, I felt it would put a lot of awkward pressure on that IC.

There's probably some ways to work around this. But as I said in that other thread, I wanted to compare the power consumption of this board to the Asrock H67M-ITX, and now I feel I have a compelling reason. :)

nutball
*Lifetime Patron*

Re: Intel DH67CF not compatible with heatsink backplates

Post by nutball » Thu Aug 04, 2011 5:18 am

Yes this is a pain. I have the same combo (DH67CF + AXP140), I got it to fit using a backplate from another heatsink IIRC.

Abula

Post by Abula » Thu Aug 04, 2011 7:44 am

Seems over time the AXP 140 has change or upgrade brackets, here a pic from one,

Image Image

I think now it ships with the Venom bracket,

matt_garman
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by matt_garman » Thu Aug 04, 2011 7:49 am

I definitely have the "Venom" bracket, i.e. what's in the last picture.

The earlier backplate might have actually worked. Hard to say for sure without having one, of course. :) But the "arms" of the X look to be much thinner, and they might just clear that obnoxious IC on the back of the DH67CF.

IanM

Post by IanM » Sun Aug 07, 2011 9:51 am

Thanks for the warning Matt, I was going to order two of these boards with Thermalright coolers for someone else. The issue is very frustrating, but you've saved me some potential embarrassment. As you say the IC is 1-2mm thicker than the metal adjacent plate it may be possible to add some plastic shims or washers around the holes, but only if there is still enough thread on the screw for it to attach safely and tighten adequately.

I grabbed a screenshot of the image anyway and saved this cropped version so it's see the issue without having to try and fid the image on Newegg: