router/switch cooling

Offloading HDDs and other functions to remote NAS or servers is increasingly popular
gadgetzilla

router/switch cooling

Post by gadgetzilla » Mon Aug 08, 2011 9:15 am

All,

I'm interested in getting feedback regarding router / switch cooling options.

I have an apple airport extreme dual band router and it is very warm to touch. In reading various forums, it seems that is normal because apple designs the case to act as a heat sink. Given that I want to keep it cool. Same applies to my 8port gigabit switch. It too is extremely warm to touch.

At present, I'm using laptop coolers under both devices but wanted to inquire if there was something else out there - either commercially available or any custom solution that someone may have built.

My initial thoughts are to build/find something like a 3 tier cookie cooling rack (but smaller) with metal mesh so I can mount the fans under it. I also thought of using a metal mesh 'in basket' tray found commonly in staples/office depot.

Thanks,

Abula

Re: router/switch cooling

Post by Abula » Mon Aug 08, 2011 9:32 am

Im in the process of modifying a Dlink DSL Router/Switch, also gets very warm to the touch. What im planning is very simple though, cut a hole on the top, add some copper sinks and a fan.

Here what i bought,
Noiseblocker NB-Multiframe M8-S1 80mm x 25mm Ultra Silent Fan - 1200 RPM - 6 dBA (wanted a 120mm but the Dlink is to small)
80mm Fan Grill
Enzotech Forged Copper VGA Memory Heatsink Multipack - ATI & nVidia (BMR-C1)
Arctic Alumina Adhesive (Premium Ceramic Thermal Epoxy) - 5 Gram set (AATA-5G)
Zalman FAN MATE 2 Variable Speed Fan Controller (FanMate-2)
CG 110v AC to 12v DC Power Supply with 4 Pin Molex (2000mA)

Ill post pics as soon as get some time to install all the stuff.

saurus

Post by saurus » Wed Sep 21, 2011 9:00 pm

on a slight tangent here but if anyone is looking for truely "silent" home /small business wireless router I can recommend the linksys e3200 wireless n router, i have been using it for a few months now and can report it is completely silent and cool. there is no fan noise (no fan at all) and no high pitch whine. it also performs extremely well with no disconnects on my ps3, blackberry, laptops!

this compares with my previous 5 year old dlink wireless b router that used to drive me nuts with the high pitch noises when ever the wireless antenna was turned on

peace

Olaf van der Spek

Post by Olaf van der Spek » Sat Nov 26, 2011 1:15 pm

gadgetzilla wrote:It too is extremely warm to touch.
I know it's hard, but what about not touching it?
Those devices are designed to work as-is.

CA_Steve

Post by CA_Steve » Sat Nov 26, 2011 5:08 pm

You know there are antennas inside the plastic case, right? If your goal is to build a faraday shield to keep the wireless router from actually working, then the best way would be to encase it in metal. :D

This will be your own router version of the iPhone Death Grip.

Jim G

Post by Jim G » Sun Nov 27, 2011 3:44 am

We've had our Apple Airport Extreme operating in a room which regularly gets to 40-45 degrees Celsius for about 4 months of the year and the case is hot above that to touch - it's now about three years old and hasn't missed a beat. I wouldn't worry about it so much.

We've also got a Procurve 24-port gigabit switch and our ADSL modem in the same room and neither have heat issues. I wouldn't worry about cooling them so long as they're in open air.

Vicotnik
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by Vicotnik » Sun Nov 27, 2011 5:35 am

Olaf van der Spek wrote:
gadgetzilla wrote:It too is extremely warm to touch.
I know it's hard, but what about not touching it?
Those devices are designed to work as-is.
They are also designed to fail. ;)

I say rip it open and apply cooing where it's needed. Post pictures. 8)