ASUS E35M1-I temperatures seem high!

All about them.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

mahd

ASUS E35M1-I temperatures seem high!

Post by mahd » Wed Aug 10, 2011 2:15 am

Hi everyone.

I have just setup a HTPC with the above mentioned board and it is 100% silent which I have never experienced. So quiet that I thought it wasn't working when I first turned it on but about 10 minutes later I realised I had forgotten to connect the monitor cable!! For those 10 minutes, I thought it was off heh.

Anyway I have thermal issues and I may have to resort to running a fan but thought I'd ask here first.

Here is the system:
Apex/Aywun MI-008 - http://www.silentpcreview.com/apex-mi008
ASUS E35M1-I
Corsair 4gb
OCZ 60GB Agility 3
Pioneer BD
picoPSU 60 watt

Windows 7 64

I have pulled the default case powersupply out obviously and have a large hole at the back. I will fill this in when I complete this build, but for now it is open and letting heat out of the case. There are no fans in this and the only moving part in the whole system is the BD when a disc is in it.

Temperatures reported by Core Temp 0.99.8:

Right now at idle after a few hours the CPU is sitting at 66C
CPU BURN 25mins + Furmark brings it up to 93C
Last night when I was updating the system, the temp was 75-80C.

I'm worried that these temps are high. The ambient temp in this room is around 12C, however the living room where this will live is closer to 22C. I am concerned that when watching 1080P BD movies that this is going to overheat.

From my limited reading about this mobo, my temps are unusually high. Is it possible that there is a problem with the thermal paste to the heatsink from the factory?

Thanks all for you time.

HFat

Re: ASUS E35M1-I temperatures seem high!

Post by HFat » Wed Aug 10, 2011 7:15 am

People have reported high temps with that board. But yours are very high. That's to be expected.
The problem is not so much CPU temps but the other components on the board. They usually get hotter relative to the CPU without fans.

When you're not using any fans, you need a case which allows convection to work: either a bigger case or a case with lots of fairly large holes through which hot air can rise out of the case. There are exceptions but that's the general idea.

mahd

Re: ASUS E35M1-I temperatures seem high!

Post by mahd » Wed Aug 10, 2011 2:43 pm

Thanks for the reply.

I downloaded the bloated AI suite last night and checked the temps through that thinking that maybe the official ASUS suite would show correct temps. The Core Temp utility shows some very weird numbers for the processor speed so I'm wondering if it doesn't work too well with the Fusion.

Interestingly the AI suite temp reading was 15C lower than Core Temp! In a quick test it idles at 50C where the Core Temp reads 65C and then under CPUBurn and FurMark, AI suite reads 65C and CoreTemp reads 80C.

Last night I tried an (horribly loud and buzzy) old Antec temp controlled 12cm fan I had lying around. I sticky taped that to the case fram about 6cm above the CPU heatsink blowing down onto and that lowered temps by about 20C in quick tests again.

I may put a 60cm fan in the gap left by the power supply to extract the hot air and just keep it moving around a bit. Or I could drill an extra mesh of holes in the top of the case above the CPU area so the heat rises up and out of the case.