CPU utils

All about them.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

NoiseFreeGuy

CPU utils

Post by NoiseFreeGuy » Sun Aug 07, 2011 6:04 pm

I have been using Notebook Hardware Control with my Pentium-M desktop computer for years now and it works really nicely (controlling CPU speed etc. auto mode.)

I am in the process of setting up a new installation, WinXP n-lited, and would like to minimize all clutter/extraneous apps add-ons etc. if possible.

I am installing essential apps first very slowly and cautiously.
I wanted to install NHC and when I tried, it stated it needed Microsoft.net 2.0 Framework.

I installed it without thinking too much, but it started to install tons and tons of stuff/drivers/registry entries galore etc.

So my first question about this; can you recommend another CPU util that does essentially what NHC does but doesn't require Microsoft.net 2.0 Framework?

TIA

ces

Re: CPU utils

Post by ces » Sun Aug 07, 2011 7:43 pm

My experience is that anything that requires you to install Microsoft.net 2.0 Framework will be nothing but headaches. Microsoft.net 2.0 Framework may have its uses... but anyone that uses it as a development platform for end user (as opposed to enterprise) software is providing you evidence that they are insensitive morons suffering from some form of autism... who don't really care about the user experience. If you install it you can be highly confident you will get what you deserve.

Just my opinion :)

NoiseFreeGuy

Post by NoiseFreeGuy » Mon Aug 08, 2011 11:01 am

ces wrote:My experience is that anything that requires you to install Microsoft.net 2.0 Framework will be nothing but headaches. ... If you install it you can be highly confident you will get what you deserve.

Just my opinion :)
I am with you! I won't say I got "nothing but headaches", as I've been using NHC/Framework 2.0 for several years now, but I did not like the junk that was being loaded for the Framework 2.0 installation and have since removed it (for my new n-lite XP installation).

So now, does anyone know of a CPU util that will do essentially the same thing that Notebook Hardware Control does?

The best thing I liked about NHC was that I could set it for variable CPU speed.
It stays most of the time at around 600-700 Mhz and whenever it needs more power will bump up to as high as 1600-1800 Mhz. That is really cool, figuratively and literally speaking. :)

BiochemGuy

Post by BiochemGuy » Wed Aug 10, 2011 6:15 pm

RMClock or CPUgenie might be suitable replacements for Notebook Hardware Control.

NoiseFreeGuy

Post by NoiseFreeGuy » Wed Aug 10, 2011 8:33 pm

BiochemGuy wrote:RMClock or CPUgenie might be suitable replacements for Notebook Hardware Control.
Thanks very much!
I'll check them out.