Thermalright Archon and Prolimatech SuperMega reviews?

Cooling Processors quietly

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

CougTek

Thermalright Archon and Prolimatech SuperMega reviews?

Post by CougTek » Sat Aug 13, 2011 10:54 am

I've searched the forum for any news on a possible review of those two coolers by SPCR and came up empty. Do you plan to review either of those? Testing the Archon with two TY-140 fans would give a better idea of its potential. I know many places have reviewed it and ranked it very highly, but SPCR has IMHO the best methodology. I don't know if two TY-140 would fit on the Prolimatech SuperMega, but if it does, it would make an awesome combo too.

Also, why don't you use the Thermaright TY-140 as the reference 140mm fan? It's clearly superior acoustically to the Noctua you currently use.

Last thing, you mentionned that the CPU cooler height clearance inside the Temjin TJ-08E should be ~168mm. That's just 2mm too tight for the Archon. Unless you're really sure a 170mm wouldn't fit, in case you get your hands on one, could you please try it inside to confirm that it doesn't fit. Although it's tall, it is relatively tin so it would give additional clearance for the hard drive compared to the Noctua NH-U12P you used in the review. Assuming it fits, it could be the best possible cooler for that enclosure.

Abula

Re: Thermalright Archon and Prolimatech SuperMega reviews?

Post by Abula » Sat Aug 13, 2011 11:50 am

Archon is one of the best coolers out there, and it would have gone in my TJ08E build if it wasnt for the height, 170mm>165mm, but feel free to try, havent seen any that had.

The TJ08E does fit a lot of the big heatsinks, the issues comes with the hdd cage n tall memory, but the TJ08E can allocate 1x 3.5hdd on the bottom (and you can remove the hdd cage) and a 2.5 ssd/laptop hdd below it, so at the end you still can go with a huge cooler as long as only 2 hdds will be in use, here some pics of the biggest and best performer coolers on a TJ-08E,

Thermalright HR02

Thermalright Silver Arrow

Noctua NH-D14

Noctua NH-C14

Prolimatech Megahalems