Alluetia H3-R Fanless Core i5 Media PC

Want to talk about one of the articles in SPCR? Here's the forum for you.
Lawrence Lee
SPCR Reviewer

Alluetia H3-R Fanless Core i5 Media PC

Post by Lawrence Lee » Sun Sep 04, 2011 2:37 pm

Akustyk

Re: Alluetia H3-R Fanless Core i5 Media PC

Post by Akustyk » Mon Sep 05, 2011 4:32 pm

Thanks for the review. It's another piece of evidence that even relatively moderate computing (I consider media transcoding moderate :)) requires some form of active cooling. I've tried several different options for completely passive cooling, and, no, none of them truly work. They do work, to some degree, but, at the end of the day, it is simply not enough. One just can't get around the simple physics of modern Intel Core i-series computing.

However, building a virtually silent HTPC, with some fan cooling is not terribly hard. With proper heatsinks and fans, it is possible. Manufacturers have to embrace the idea and implement it.

murtoz

Post by murtoz » Tue Sep 06, 2011 1:50 am

Nice review but I am missing pics of the internals. Quite curious how it all hangs together. Any chance of some pictures please?

Luke M

Post by Luke M » Tue Sep 06, 2011 3:19 am

Yeah, I read SPCR for the pictures.

Nicias

Post by Nicias » Tue Sep 06, 2011 4:14 am

They previously reviewed a similar machine in the same case. In this review he suggests reading that review if you want pictures.

DAve_M

Post by DAve_M » Tue Sep 06, 2011 8:54 am

Looks to me like the heatsink case is badly designed. Fins are too tightly packed and on the side of the case they are not even pointing the right way. That amount of extruded aluminium looks like it should be able to cool 65W of heat if done properly.

OverZerg

Post by OverZerg » Tue Sep 06, 2011 10:52 am

Akustyk This CPU (and even hotter one) can be passively cooled with Thermalright HR-03 (preferably), Scythe Ninja 3 or something similar.

If someone interested, MB used in this build is Intel DH67CF. With the fact that case available separately, everyone could build similar system with lower price and needed features.

Akustyk

Post by Akustyk » Fri Sep 09, 2011 8:15 am

OverZerg wrote:Akustyk This CPU (and even hotter one) can be passively cooled with Thermalright HR-03 (preferably), Scythe Ninja 3 or something similar.
Thanks. I think you mean HR-02. I actually have it in my system, and yes, it works beautifully for most computing needs, but it is massive in size and won't fit in a slim media PC. My HR-02 requires only 300-400 RPM of a 120mm fan for most of my needs, and stays well below 60C. The problem exists for those small HTPCs. I built a neat little PC for my six-year-old in a mini-ITX InWin case, and it is louder than my 2600K workstation, by far. But the big heatsinks don't fit in such a small case. Even the Scythe BIG Shuriken just barely fits.

kab60

Post by kab60 » Mon Sep 12, 2011 3:45 pm

Hi guys

I'm hoping one of you guys can clear something up for me. I'm really interested in the Aleutia, because it's completely silent, and I like the no moving parts. Other than that I like the small form-factor and none of the glossy plastic that I find most cases are wrapped in. I enjoyed Lawrences review, but I'm not sure what he means, when he writes, that overheating might not be an issue with the i3-cpu. From what I can tell, they're both rated at 35W. Is that simply because they don't have the turbo-boost? Because from what I can tell, you can turn turbo-boost off.

I'd only use the pc for writing, browsing, doing a bit of photoshop and watching movies, so you think heat will be an issue? I'm leaning towards that it won't, but I'd like to hear your opinion.

Thanks alot for any help guys. I really appreciate it.

- Kasper

astromo

Post by astromo » Wed Oct 05, 2011 2:52 am

kab60 wrote:Hi guys

I'm hoping one of you guys can clear something up for me. I'm really interested in the Aleutia, because it's completely silent, and I like the no moving parts. Other than that I like the small form-factor and none of the glossy plastic that I find most cases are wrapped in. I enjoyed Lawrences review, but I'm not sure what he means, when he writes, that overheating might not be an issue with the i3-cpu. From what I can tell, they're both rated at 35W. Is that simply because they don't have the turbo-boost? Because from what I can tell, you can turn turbo-boost off.

I'd only use the pc for writing, browsing, doing a bit of photoshop and watching movies, so you think heat will be an issue? I'm leaning towards that it won't, but I'd like to hear your opinion.

Thanks alot for any help guys. I really appreciate it.

- Kasper
Have you seen the SPCR review of a different H3 fanless case?
http://www.silentpcreview.com/article1201-page4.html
It picked up an Editor's choice award. Price tag might interest you as well.

charonme

Post by charonme » Fri Mar 18, 2016 6:04 am