Looking for a good dehumidifer

Our "pub" where you can post about things completely Off Topic or about non-silent PC issues.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

aristide1
*Lifetime Patron*

Looking for a good dehumidifer

Post by aristide1 » Wed Sep 14, 2011 5:48 pm

I may be asking for too much, I'd like

For it to work
Not too loud
Last more than 1 year

The last item is in question these days, but such are the results of "global competition" who duty is apparently to fill our landfills with garbage from all over the world. Given my globalist economics professor the finger as I say all of this.

I really would like to buy this locally from a mom and pop store, but frankly the number of units that fail in less than a year makes me consider a large store with a hassle free return policy and an extended warranty.

New units have almost no replaceable parts, repairs are not an option. Line breaks that lose coolant seem common, some refuse to drain via an attached hose, and some despite having humidstats for the cooling section, leave the fan running 24/7.

I won't even inquire about a US made one, Amamas are "assembled in the US", which is a fancy way of saying "same chintzy parts as all the others."

So give me some good news.
Thanks.

xan_user
*Lifetime Patron*

Re: Looking for a good dehumidifer

Post by xan_user » Thu Sep 15, 2011 6:39 am

this looks pretty sweet! (on paper) http://www.solarventi.co.uk/

These guys make some great units... http://www.ideal-air.com/products/dehum ... fiers.aspx but ive not heard one that would qualify for SPCR seal of approval and still get the job done

Klusu

Post by Klusu » Thu Sep 15, 2011 11:43 am

aristide1 wrote: For it to work
What do you want it to do? Give some numbers.
A bad thing for your economics. For me a DH makes sense only a couple of weeks in autumn, before the heating season.
Noise like from a fridge + noise from the fan. The latter can be almost inaudible, if you reduce rpm; efficiency may even increase (up to a point).
A fridge lasts perhaps 50 years. A DH might do the same...

aristide1
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by aristide1 » Thu Sep 15, 2011 12:43 pm

50+ pints, humidstat for turning on and off, including the fan. (Some run fans 24/7, not acceptable.)

aristide1
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by aristide1 » Sat Sep 24, 2011 6:49 am

What a fiasco trying to find a "quality" humidifier. Seems they are all built to the lowest price point, unless you want to pay several thousand dollars for a pro unit. I refused to buy by mail order, seems they get damaged in shipping frequently.

After much research I purchased a GE 65 pint unit. Many of the others never turn their fans off, even when the compressor isn't running, who designs this stuff anyways? The fan on the GE stops after a while the compressor stops. The unit also is fully ready to run an external hose to a drain. Some others have all kinds of nosense to buy and set up, even additional built in pumps, again who designs this stuff? The GE setup is brilliant by other humidifer standards. A built in handle and wheels, whoda thunk?

The fan is a bit loud, but only a little louder than when the compressor is running. The humidstat is not super accurate, call it "in the ball park" range. The unit also resumes operation and remembers its setting after a power outage. Again, why would other units not do this? But they don't. And it's not too ugly for a box.

Too many of these things break within a year, so I actually opted for the extended warranty.