Lian Li Q25 ITX HTPC build: some issues

Cooling Processors quietly

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

riplix

Lian Li Q25 ITX HTPC build: some issues

Post by riplix » Mon Sep 26, 2011 7:39 am

Hi,

I'm just sitting in front of the parts which are supposed to go in this gorgeous case:

ASRock I-Z68 Z68M-ITX/HT
Intel Core i3 2100 2x 3.10GHz
Silverstone SST-NT01-E Fanless
2000GB Western Digital Caviar Green WD20EARS
350W Enermax Eco80+ 8
64GB A-Data S599 AS599S-64GM-C 2.5" (
1024MB Sapphire Radeon HD 6670 Ultimate Passive (there are some gaming needs)

I know I was taking a risk with the Silverstone SST-NT01-E, it almost fitted in there but no matter in which direction it is oriented, it collides with the PSU. I thought I had a chance since the Enermax is only 14 cm deep but no luck.

The issues I'm running into are mainly due to the dedicated GPU since I can't seem to find a suitable heat sink that...
a) ...is less that 9.5 cm in height (this is about distance between CPU and PSU, it's hard to measure)
b) ...doesn't block the GPU slot (this excludes all 11cm+ width heatsinks such as Big Shuriken)
c) ... doesn't collide with RAM

I've attached a pic of the board with the boxed cooler (6cm height, 9.5 width) to give you an idea about the dimensions.
Scythe Samurai ZZ (height 9.5 cm) may just fit but the fan will directly sit on top of the PSU fan competing for air... good idea?

Any thoughts are welcome! :D

Many thanks
riplix
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Abula

Re: Lian Li Q25 ITX HTPC build: some issues

Post by Abula » Mon Sep 26, 2011 8:49 am

Im not familiar with the Q25, but looks very similar to the Q08 (in dimensions, but cross check it), if its the same, one of the best low profile heatsinks you can fit on the Q08 with a standard ATX PSU and standard memory and a gpu is the Thermalright AXP 140, if you wish to see pics here is a thread of a build that might be helpful, Mini ITX H67 Silent Gaming System, one thing im not certain is that the asrock mobo has the exact same placement of the CPU socket, but its fairly similar in most mobos, up to you to cross check it.

Mats

Post by Mats » Mon Sep 26, 2011 1:56 pm

The HS in the pic has a 47.5 mm radius, and the AXP-140 is 54.35 mm from the center to the closest edge, so I'm not sure it'll fit.
I saw the pics in the other forum, but it looks like there's a bit more distance to the slot on the Gigabyte board.
http://thermalright.com/products/?act=d ... &cat_id=27

Abula

Post by Abula » Mon Sep 26, 2011 2:25 pm

Mats wrote:The HS in the pic has a 47.5 mm radius, and the AXP-140 is 54.35 mm from the center to the closest edge, so I'm not sure it'll fit.
I saw the pics in the other forum, but it looks like there's a bit more distance to the slot on the Gigabyte board.
http://thermalright.com/products/?act=d ... &cat_id=27
This is up to OP to crosscheck, but as i said, a lot of the mini itx board have very similar layout, i google a little for pictures, and found a picture of his AsRock and of the Gigabyte (of the thread above).

Here is some pics from the thread above with it already mounted on the Gigabyte board,

My personal guess, is it will fit, the boards layout seem very similar, but there is always the chance of some mm not allowing it, but i think it will, again up to the OP to crosscheck if it will.

Mats

Post by Mats » Mon Sep 26, 2011 3:08 pm

There isn't 7 mm of free space between the Intel cooler and the slot in the first pic, that's why I don't think it will fit.
Well unless the size specs are wrong.

Abula

Post by Abula » Mon Sep 26, 2011 3:17 pm

Mats wrote:There isn't 7 mm of free space between the Intel cooler and the slot in the first pic, that's why I don't think it will fit.
Well unless the size specs are wrong.
Upon checking the original pic, the board seems very similar to the one i posted, but there is a difference, the THX publicity is next to the ram on his pic and on mine is on the bottom, so it might be a different mobo.... or a revision.. idk, but i guess it could be different.

riplix

Post by riplix » Thu Sep 29, 2011 7:29 am

Been busy for a couple of days, sorry for the late reply. Many thanks for your comments!

The AXP-140 looks sweet but likely blocks the PCIe slot but still may be worth a try.

I've completed the build now with the stock and it runs at ~55° C after 30 min of Prime95 (case open). The CPU temp sensor seems faulty - I can't get a proper value out of it with software unless I check the BIOs...

All in all I'm pretty happy with the case :)

riplix

Post by riplix » Sat Oct 08, 2011 4:01 am

Just to complete this: I got an AXP-140 and it does fit! Many thanks for the hint. There is less than 1 mm to the GPU on the one side and the drivecage on the other so it's ultra close...

However getting it in there is a massive pain. Due to the drive cage, it's not possible fit the MB mounting plate through the back with this HS on. So eventually you need to fix the mounting plate and then fiddle the MB on it afterwards.