Sandy Bridge mini ITX system

Info & chat about quiet prebuilt, small form factor and barebones systems, people's experiences with vendors thereof, etc.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

agashka

Sandy Bridge mini ITX system

Post by agashka » Sun Jan 30, 2011 2:25 pm

Hi, about 3-4 years ago I bough a Shuttle computer, which I still use today just because it's form factor make it so convenient to me. The problem is, it's loud, it heats too much and most of all, it's getting outdated.

As for my new build, my top priorities are proper cooling and noise. On the hardware side, I've found the following:

Zotac ZOTAC H67ITX-A-E Socket 1155
Intel Core i5-2400S Sandy Bridge 2.5GHz
OCZ Vertex 2 OCZSSD2-2VTX80G 2.5" 80GB
G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3 1333
(onboard videocard for now)

As for the case , power supply and cooling equipment, I'm still not sure, so I figured I should ask the experts here at SPCR.

My first choice was the Lian Li Q07 + pico psu + XIGMATEK 120mm.
Yesterday I found the SilverStone Sugo SG05 and so my second choice was the Sugo + H50

With the Lian Li, I am limited by the lack of space for a videocard and limited power from the pico psu
With the SilverStone case the cost goes up by quite a bit and I wouldn't want the power supply to be too loud (yes, I've read SPCR's review on the case :D )

So here I ask, could anyone point me out to different combos? Any inputs on the overall system build is greatly appreciated.

ces

Re: Sandy Bridge mini ITX system

Post by ces » Sun Jan 30, 2011 3:08 pm

1. 1st of all, you have good taste.

2. The 2500K has twice the video horsepower as the 2400S (12 video processing units instead of 6). This makes it equivalent to the Radion 5450.

3. The actual power consumption of the 2400S in actual use isn't any better than the 2400. A 2500K without an external video card should easily use less energy than a 2400S with a card.

See:
http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/cpu/di ... html#sect0

4. I suspect that SilverStone Sugo SG05 is going to be slightly larger than the Shuttle, and the Q07 slightly smaller, why not go with the Q07?

5. Without using an internal PSU in the Q07, you should be able to fit in a thermalright HR-02 or the new Noctua downdraft cpu cooler. You might be able to get away without using any fans... or perhaps using one or two 500rpm fans. (seems like the new generation of cpu coolers are better designed to fit into the space constraints of the 1155 CPU position).

agashka

Post by agashka » Sun Jan 30, 2011 3:45 pm

Great! I just updated my wish list with the 2500K inside instead of the 2400S. The video performance seems to be more than enough for me. Another draw-back with the Q07 + picoPSU, is that I get to have another brick under my desk, which I would like to avoid if it's possible. I don't understand that between a full ATX power supply and the picoPSU, there aren't really much other options for different sized power supply. Just too bad.
4. I suspect that SilverStone Sugo SG05 is going to be slightly larger than the Shuttle, and the Q07 slightly smaller, why not go with the Q07?
In fact, both the Q07 and the Sugo have a ~5% difference in sized compared to the shuttle!

ces

Post by ces » Sun Jan 30, 2011 5:43 pm

Why not use a regular sized PSU (Seasonic?). Put the PSU fan facing external in the Q07. Then use the Prolimatech Samual 17 or a Big Shuriken CPU heatsink?

quest_for_silence

Post by quest_for_silence » Mon Jan 31, 2011 2:40 am

agashka wrote:Great! I just updated my wish list with the 2500K inside instead of the 2400S. The video performance seems to be more than enough for me.
Not just to contraddict our co-forumer ces, but if the Intel HD3000 is enough for you, then you shouldn't need it, IMO.
The smaller brother HD2000 - which you find in not-K processors - is identical except for 3D gaming performance (far lower): but an HD5450-class performance - as the HD3000 one - is fairly inadequate for 3D gaming, so it should be pointless going for it, shouldn't it?
If you do heavy transconding might be another variable.

At anyway, if the answer to my question were yes, then maybe a regular Core i5 2300 or 2400 might be the way to go.
While, with a properly sized Pico-style PSU and the right brick, you will may add even a more capable HD5670 near in the future (if needed).

zzai123

Post by zzai123 » Fri Mar 04, 2011 6:53 am

Both Lian Li and Silver Stone cases are designed for regular sized PSU and large video card, therefore the case is not as small as the brand-name computer.

Perhaps you could try Silver Stone FT-03, It is higher but doesn't take to much space, HR-02 can be used in this case.

I'm using HR-02 in FT-02, it's OK for 73-95W TDP CPU.

vitaminc

Post by vitaminc » Sat Jul 16, 2011 9:54 am

Hows the new rig working for you? From newegg it seems like the zotac board is pure aids. And support in zotac forums are flat dead...

shorty

Post by shorty » Tue Sep 27, 2011 7:56 am

The new Shuttle SH67H3 Sandy Bridge model is very quiet, especially with an SSD. I have one and can hardly tell it's
running. I put in the Crucial M4 SATA III 64GB SSD, installed Win 7 Pro and boots in 7 seconds to the desktop.
Shuttle has improved the noise level considerably the last couple years. It supports any Sandy Bridge i3, i5 or i7 processor.
I haven't had any heat issues either, even with a graphics card installed.