Water & Wood (GTX 580 tri-SLI)

Show off your quiet rig.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

miahallen

Water & Wood (GTX 580 tri-SLI)

Post by miahallen » Sat Oct 08, 2011 5:30 am

I just finished my build "Water & Wood". You can see all the details in my worklog.

I'm very pleased with the result, a very powerful and peacefully quite gaming rig :)

frenchie
Friend of SPCR

Re: Water & Wood (GTX 580 tri-SLI)

Post by frenchie » Sat Oct 08, 2011 5:33 pm

My jaw just fell on the floor :shock:

ickarumba1

Post by ickarumba1 » Thu Oct 13, 2011 9:02 pm

WOW, just wow. Great job.

KadazanPL

Post by KadazanPL » Fri Oct 14, 2011 1:23 am

I bet your power company loves you :) Out of curiosity: which games require this much computing power? :)

And... how quiet is the rig with those, what... 13 fans? :shock:

Mats

Post by Mats » Fri Oct 14, 2011 4:03 am

Awesome job Mr Allen!

miahallen

Post by miahallen » Mon Oct 24, 2011 2:56 am

Thanks all :)
KadazanPL wrote:I bet your power company loves you :) Out of curiosity: which games require this much computing power? :)

And... how quiet is the rig with those, what... 13 fans? :shock:
Once I get the other two monitors hooked up, many of my games will appreciate the power ;)
Here is a video I shot after first hooking up the fans tot he PWM controller.
At minimum setting, they run at about 600RPM and are virtually silent. I usually run them at about 30% PWM which puts them at about 1000RPM and they are barely audible (just a gental whoosh). Its the pump which is too noisey, and I'm not too happy with it :(

bonestonne

Post by bonestonne » Wed Oct 26, 2011 6:10 am

If that's not something to be jealous of, I don't know what is.

You've certainly made sure no one can steal it easily, but I do love that desk, easily one of the cleanest ones I've ever seen.

I see you're running G-Skill RAM, I guess that makes me a little curious, I swear by it in my workstation, but I rarely see it in other peoples computers...

I think the only thing I'm not a fan of is the red cathode by that window in the desk...I'd rather a white, or something that wasn't so harsh, that or your camera just can't handle it (cell phone pictures?).

I guess to me, it just looks to be a pain whenever adding a new device to the mix.

Mats

Post by Mats » Wed Oct 26, 2011 6:16 am

bonestonne wrote:I guess to me, it just looks to be a pain whenever adding a new device to the mix.
No.
http://www.techreaction.net/forums/show ... stcount=17

bonestonne

Post by bonestonne » Wed Oct 26, 2011 6:27 am

I saw that, but unless there's a USB hub on the monitor, plugging something in could be a hassle, unless there's something not visible from the pictures.

Going by what's on the desk, i see mouse/keyboard/webcam and one other device plugged in (joystick?)..but nothing else that stands out...

Mats

Post by Mats » Wed Oct 26, 2011 6:32 am

I thought that thing to the left was a hub.

CXZB

Post by CXZB » Wed Oct 26, 2011 10:31 am

Wow, what a machine! I love the build into the desk. What do you end up with in terms of dB of sound from such a powerful machine? Great job!

miahallen

Post by miahallen » Sat Oct 29, 2011 11:29 pm

@ CXZB, check the link from my previous post ;)
bonestonne wrote:If that's not something to be jealous of, I don't know what is.

You've certainly made sure no one can steal it easily, but I do love that desk, easily one of the cleanest ones I've ever seen.

I see you're running G-Skill RAM, I guess that makes me a little curious, I swear by it in my workstation, but I rarely see it in other peoples computers...

I think the only thing I'm not a fan of is the red cathode by that window in the desk...I'd rather a white, or something that wasn't so harsh, that or your camera just can't handle it (cell phone pictures?).

I guess to me, it just looks to be a pain whenever adding a new device to the mix.
I'm planning to try out a set of blue LEDs to see if I like them better than the red, but since they're out of my line of sight when I'm using the rig, they're not obnoxious to me at all. If they were, I would need an on/off switch or dimmer because I would not like them either.

No, I'm not taking pictures with a cell phone (that'd be one nice cell phone camera if you ask me)...but it's not a high end SLR either...just an Panasonic P&S.