Serenity Mini, SPCR Edition by Puget Computers

Want to talk about one of the articles in SPCR? Here's the forum for you.
MikeC
Site Admin

Serenity Mini, SPCR Edition by Puget Computers

Post by MikeC » Thu Oct 20, 2011 1:49 pm

Enzo_FX

Re: Serenity Mini, SPCR Edition by Puget Computers

Post by Enzo_FX » Thu Oct 20, 2011 5:02 pm

Looks like a great system. The mini p180 is a proven design, just wish you it was still available, I'd probably still pick it over that sweet new Silverstone mATX case. They did exactly what I'd do too, cover the top, add a fan for the graphics card =).

Jambe

Post by Jambe » Thu Oct 20, 2011 6:21 pm

Nice! Some bigger pics, especially of their custom work, would've been appreciated, but it was a nice write-up, anyway!

Puget seem like top chaps in addition to building quality PCs.

quest_for_silence

Post by quest_for_silence » Fri Oct 21, 2011 1:01 am

Hi MikeC,

do you know why Puget insists on the Gelid Tranquillo as the CPU heatsink of choice, which is a relatively inexpensive good performer but, maybe due to its tight fin spacing and not exceptional base finish, which isn't more probably that not the best option available: for some bucks more (30$? 50$?) I think that there are several alternatives around.

deruberhanyok

Post by deruberhanyok » Fri Oct 21, 2011 4:59 am

It's not really "mini", is it? I was expecting something mini-ITX from the name. :(

That aside, very impressive noise levels for a production system!

quest_for_silence

Post by quest_for_silence » Fri Oct 21, 2011 5:12 am

deruberhanyok wrote:I was expecting something mini-ITX from the name.

You'll see, if they are really smart, they would show some field-workstation using a Lian-Li TU200A. :wink:

lodestar

Post by lodestar » Fri Oct 21, 2011 7:07 am

The cooler fitted to this particular Puget is in fact the rev 2 version of the Tranquillo. If you look closely you can see 'Rev 2' in small green lettering on the top plastic fitting. Rev 2 has the heat pipes angled further back towards the exhaust port (for improved memory clearance) and a larger base heatsink. Here in the UK certainly the Tranquillo Rev 2 sells for only about 10% more than the bargain basement Coolermaster Hyper 212 Plus, which makes it economic to fit alternative fans such as the Scythe Slipstream PWM models. A frequently overlooked point about the Tranquillo is that it is only 153mm high, so it can help in situations where a 159/160mm height cooler is a very tight fit.

MikeC
Site Admin

Post by MikeC » Fri Oct 21, 2011 8:19 am

quest_for_silence wrote:Hi MikeC,

do you know why Puget insists on the Gelid Tranquillo as the CPU heatsink of choice, which is a relatively inexpensive good performer but, maybe due to its tight fin spacing and not exceptional base finish, which isn't more probably that not the best option available: for some bucks more (30$? 50$?) I think that there are several alternatives around.
Yes.

One key criteria for Puget is survival in transit via UPS, which has a reputation. Large heatsinks become wrecking balls inside PCs if they get loose. I'm told that during extreme physical system drop testing to simulate a fall off a receiving dock, the Gelid was the only one of half a dozen tower heatsinks that did not even twist or move, never mind loosen, from the CPU mount. From their point of view, the cooling performance is good enough, the transit survivability is the best, and the low price is just gravy. I think I'd make the same decision given their business requirements, but I'm sure they keep a sharp eye out for new heatsinks that meet the transit survival requirement and might perform better.

CA_Steve

Post by CA_Steve » Fri Oct 21, 2011 12:40 pm

Very pretty.

Silent1

Post by Silent1 » Sat Nov 05, 2011 4:17 am

Great review,

If I wasn't so much enjoying assembling a Silent PC myself a would buy one from Pugets.
Big compliments to Puget.

:)

Zakharov

Post by Zakharov » Sat Nov 12, 2011 8:50 pm

I bought this system, it will arrive Tuesday... will let you know what I think.

Hope it comes with the same SPCR badge that my old certified endpcnoise system had, very slick...

vatan007

Post by vatan007 » Fri Dec 16, 2011 6:13 pm

Hi all. I like the Puget Serenity Mini, but it is just too expensive for me. Im trying to see whether I can build something like it myself, with a few adjustions. Maybe you can help me getting these questions answered? Any help appreciated!

1. What exactly is that ‘acoustipack’ dampening material? Is it the egg shaped foam? Or is it something else? If it is foam, I know where to get it. However, if it is something specific, I hope you guys know about some alternative since I can’t find any place in the Netherlands to buy it. Any alternatives for the acoustipack, anyone?

2. Looking at the specifications of the serenity mini in the article I see that the mini boasts ‘composite sheets’… is this the same as the acoustipack? Or is this another dampening material? If yes, where can I get it?

3. The motherboard! It’s a nice board, but,… it kinda lacks connectivity? I want to install a wifi receiver pci card in there and a sound card, and a firewire pci as well. This won’t fit. Any nice mobo that could fit it all? I am really a newb when it comes to motherboards supporting 2500k.

4. I really want some more gpu power… a better video card than the rather outdated hd6770 (being a reissue of the 5770, really). I am thinking about the powercolor hd6850. What motherboard will fit this 3slot-high video card in tandum with the gelid tranquilo?

5. Could someone explain to me how the fans are made to run at 800rpm at 5v? How does one connect the fans and what steps does one undertake?

6. The article states ‘Iinstead of relying on the default "Silent" QFAN profile, we have custom tuned the fan ramping curve to provide the lowest noise levels while maintaining good temperatures. We also tuned it to prevent cyclic patterns of the fan ramping up and down. We keep it nice and smooth, and in fact, our full load speed is only 30% higher than our idle speed. We have this VERY well dialed in.’ Does anyone know what they dialed in, and where? In the bios? Also, my system surely will be just a little bit different, so my ramping curve would be different. How would I go about setting up a very quiet curve?

Sorry for the long post, hope someone can chime in!
Regards, V

johnymaimusi

Post by johnymaimusi » Tue Dec 20, 2011 9:36 am

After that accomplishment at the beginning of the year, could Puget Computers make any more splashes in 2011? Well, they're trying, ...

MikeC
Site Admin

Post by MikeC » Tue Dec 20, 2011 9:53 am

vatan007 --

1. http://www.acoustiproducts.com/en/products.asp Looks like the company has shifted from its original role as a quiet components supplier to quiet rack case supplier. But that page shows the acoustipack product, which is sold by quietpc.com It is generally about the best of its class.

2. "the mini boasts ‘composite sheets’… is this the same as the acoustipack? " No, this is the multilayer sides, front and top panels that the case is made of. Like the other cases in the P180 series.

3. There are bazillions of boards that support the Intel 2500k. Just look in any online store for socket 1155 boards.

4. "I am thinking about the powercolor hd6850. What motherboard will fit this 3slot-high video card in tandum with the gelid tranquilo?" Just about any, as the HS extends downwards, not above into the CPU area.

5. "Could someone explain to me how the fans are made to run at 800rpm at 5v? How does one connect the fans and what steps does one undertake? " There are umpteen ways to do this, including a motherboards' internal fan controls, if they are good. Simplest way is to add a speed controller like the Zalman fanmate between the fan and the power source but there are many others, including a multi-fan controller. Read up under fans and fan control on the main site & the forums.

6. The article states ‘Iinstead of relying on the default "Silent" QFAN profile, we have custom tuned the fan ramping curve to provide the lowest noise levels while maintaining good temperatures. We also tuned it to prevent cyclic patterns of the fan ramping up and down. We keep it nice and smooth, and in fact, our full load speed is only 30% higher than our idle speed. We have this VERY well dialed in.’ Does anyone know what they dialed in, and where? In the bios? Also, my system surely will be just a little bit different, so my ramping curve would be different. How would I go about setting up a very quiet curve? Yes, in the ASUS board BIOS. The phrase "dialed in" is slang, meaning they set it just right. It's easy enough to use and set when the system is in front of you and you can tweak, try and tweak some more. It's too motherboard-dependent to detail such a process.

Tibors
Patron of SPCR

Post by Tibors » Tue Dec 20, 2011 11:23 am

vatan007 wrote:1. What exactly is that ‘acoustipack’ dampening material? Is it the egg shaped foam? Or is it something else? If it is foam, I know where to get it. However, if it is something specific, I hope you guys know about some alternative since I can’t find any place in the Netherlands to buy it. Any alternatives for the acoustipack, anyone?
It's heavy bituminous material with a foam layer on top. You can get something like it in the Netherlands e.g. here:
http://www.ikbenstil.nl/PC-Demping/Case ... 8_168.html

MikeC
Site Admin

Post by MikeC » Tue Dec 20, 2011 11:40 am

Tibors wrote:It's heavy bituminous material with a foam layer on top. You can get something like it in the Netherlands e.g. here:
http://www.ikbenstil.nl/PC-Demping/Case ... 8_168.html
afaik, there is no bitumen in the acoutipack. At least there isn't in any of the samples I reviewed (years ago) or have seen in the stuff used on recent Puget builds.

You're probably thinking of the damping used on first gen Fractal Design cases. That stuff smelled, did not seem at all healthy. Not sure if they are still using bitumen in any of the recent cases, I suspect not, as we were very negative in our review about the use of this stuff. (Yeah, it's on your roof, in roads etc -- but doesn't mean tar is healthy to have inside our homes, especially a hot PC.)

Tibors
Patron of SPCR

Post by Tibors » Tue Dec 20, 2011 1:06 pm

I must be getting old. Then again 2003 is a long time ago, when silencing your PC was still a craft, in stead of picking the right components. In case vatan007 still wants to know what it is (at least was): http://www.silentpcreview.com/AcoustiPack_delux.

lodestar

Post by lodestar » Tue Dec 20, 2011 10:38 pm

Tibors wrote:In case vatan007 still wants to know what it is (at least was): http://www.silentpcreview.com/AcoustiPack_delux.
Yes, the modern AcoustiPack is lighter and thinner (4mm, 7mm and 12mm) than it was in 2003 so may be somewhat easier to fit than for example the former 19mm product. Despite the loss in thickness the current range is claimed to have improved performance. There is one holdover from the old range, the foam blocks to fill empty drive bays.