AC Accelero Mono Plus

They make noise, too.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Tzupy
*Lifetime Patron*

AC Accelero Mono Plus

Post by Tzupy » Mon Oct 17, 2011 12:22 pm

It seems AC got 'creative' by (sort of) cutting in two the Accelero Twin Turbo 6990.
Still, if the price is right, it may sell very well. Link to product page:
http://www.arctic.ac/en/p/detail/index/ ... egory/2182

tanassi

Re: AC Accelero Mono Plus

Post by tanassi » Tue Oct 18, 2011 2:30 am

I am actually thinking about mounting this on a 580GTX, if it fits (which I believe it does).

Tzupy
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by Tzupy » Tue Oct 18, 2011 3:18 am

I believe it would be a bad idea. Official specs say upto 200W, so 6950 / 560Ti is about the maximum reliable cooling capability.
For a GTX 580, IMO you should get either the AC Xtreme Plus II, the TR Shaman or the AF Peter (DC Dracula).

quest_for_silence

Post by quest_for_silence » Tue Oct 18, 2011 3:39 am

Tzupy wrote:so 6950 / 560Ti is about the maximum reliable cooling capability

IMHO over that maximum, with OC and/or FurMark (currently up to 220/230W).

tanassi

Post by tanassi » Wed Oct 19, 2011 4:32 am

Tzupy wrote:I believe it would be a bad idea. Official specs say upto 200W, so 6950 / 560Ti is about the maximum reliable cooling capability.
For a GTX 580, IMO you should get either the AC Xtreme Plus II, the TR Shaman or the AF Peter (DC Dracula).
I have an AC Xtreme Plus II pre-fitted on a KFA2 Anarchy. The problem is the fanmanagement. I flashed the card a while ago to minimun fanspeed 10%. But somehow (and I cant reverse it) it has a 20% minimum fanspeed. And its annoying as it used to be dead quiet at idle.

I am currently looking for fix by downvolting. But I cant find the right plugs or adaptors. there for a I need a new custom cooler. I am not very good at soldering :(

The good part is that the KFA2 Anarchy has excellent VRM coolers and a nice backplate so I only have the change the GPU fan. The AF Peter and the Thermalright Shaman's are good choices, but they are too high block the PCI slot for my soundcard (which gives a much better sound than the supposedly excellent onboard crap).

The mono plus is not too high or heavy, and I have excellent airflow in my case so a good silent single 120mm fan should be enough. A 580GTX is hardly ever maxxed out on most games, so I dont hit 200+W often.

doveman

Post by doveman » Sun Oct 23, 2011 2:34 pm

tanassi wrote:I have an AC Xtreme Plus II pre-fitted on a KFA2 Anarchy. The problem is the fanmanagement. I flashed the card a while ago to minimun fanspeed 10%. But somehow (and I cant reverse it) it has a 20% minimum fanspeed. And its annoying as it used to be dead quiet at idle.
Sorry, are you saying that you find the AXPII fans intrusive at 20%? Because I just fitted one to my 6950 and run it at a constant 50% and can't hear a thing, and I'm extremely sensitive to noise (and my PC's currently spread out on a bench, i.e not in a case)

tanassi

Post by tanassi » Sun Oct 23, 2011 3:17 pm

Yes I realise that, because it's prefitted the 20% equals an rpm that is way too loud. My dad's gonna help me to do some soldering now.

Thanks for letting me know though.

edit: it's running at about 2000rpm now. How bout yours?
And how did you connect it? To the vidcard header?

doveman

Post by doveman » Mon Oct 24, 2011 3:56 am

There's no way to read the RPM on mine unfortunately, I assume it's about 50% of whatever the maximum RPM is though, which would be 1000RPM. It's just plugged in to the card's 3-pin header.

tanassi

Post by tanassi » Mon Oct 24, 2011 9:40 am

doveman wrote:There's no way to read the RPM on mine unfortunately, I assume it's about 50% of whatever the maximum RPM is though, which would be 1000RPM. It's just plugged in to the card's 3-pin header.
Ok, thats halve of my idle speed. Figures :)

Thanks for the update. I would actually need a 3pin to vga converter like this on my card: http://www.caseking.de/shop/catalog/Kab ... 14590.html

tanassi

Post by tanassi » Sat Oct 29, 2011 7:05 am

doveman wrote:There's no way to read the RPM on mine unfortunately, I assume it's about 50% of whatever the maximum RPM is though, which would be 1000RPM. It's just plugged in to the card's 3-pin header.
But how is the fan running? On a fixed speed? No matter how hard I search there is never a conclusive answer to the question: how does the fan management work with an aftermarket cooler. You just let it run at a fixed speed which covers load temps too? Can you still use MSI Afterburner?

I just does my head in, I ca'n't figure out how it works, totally stuck and hate it. Annoying the hell out of me. Even more annoyed with Nvidia and there 40% minimum fanspeed. Complete and utter madness.

So please someone help me out here.

doveman

Post by doveman » Sun Oct 30, 2011 6:12 am

tanassi wrote: But how is the fan running? On a fixed speed? No matter how hard I search there is never a conclusive answer to the question: how does the fan management work with an aftermarket cooler. You just let it run at a fixed speed which covers load temps too? Can you still use MSI Afterburner?

I just does my head in, I ca'n't figure out how it works, totally stuck and hate it. Annoying the hell out of me. Even more annoyed with Nvidia and there 40% minimum fanspeed. Complete and utter madness.
Yeah, it's running at a constant 50%, which I set in Afterburner, although I could use CCC or various other utils.

Don't really see what the problem is. I thought you said the AC Xtreme Plus II pre-fitted on your KFA2 Anarchy was running at 20%, now you say that it's minimum is 40%. Even 40% should be silent unless you've got a faulty AXPII.

tanassi

Post by tanassi » Sun Oct 30, 2011 10:33 pm

How could it be faulty?

I flashed it to10%, which was silent. 20% (which is has set too now for some unclear reason) is too loud, 40 is horrible.

What power source is the cooler connected to? To the card or a spare 12 volt?

doveman

Post by doveman » Mon Oct 31, 2011 12:13 am

tanassi wrote:How could it be faulty?

I flashed it to10%, which was silent. 20% (which is has set too now for some unclear reason) is too loud, 40 is horrible.

What power source is the cooler connected to? To the card or a spare 12 volt?
I've already told you I've got it plugged in to the card. There's no way that 40% on an AXPII should be "horrible" or 20% should be "too loud".

tanassi

Post by tanassi » Tue Nov 01, 2011 7:18 am

Ok I understand the confusion now. I thought your card ran at a constant speed as you had the fan connected to a regular 12v feed.

Did your cooler come with a connected to the small 4 pin socket? :?: :?:

While I was quite happy with the card I am now quite sure the KAF2 en Galaxy cards come with bogus Arctic Cooling fans. First I will try the soldering (its the yellow one) a downvolt. If that wont work a brand spanking new one.

Thanks for the help.

doveman

Post by doveman » Tue Nov 01, 2011 9:19 am

Yeah, my AXPII has a 4-pin and a 3-pin connector. My card only has a 3-pin header, so I assume it's just controlled by voltage, rather than PWM. If full-speed is 12v, I guess 50% would be around 6v, so it might be worth trying connecting your fans to the 5v line on a Molex.

quest_for_silence

Post by quest_for_silence » Tue Nov 01, 2011 11:00 am

If I'm not wrong, probably the most important difference between you is the BIOS: you're talking of two very different card, and it may be likely that the AC fans are differently driven.

I think it's more suspicious that you are not able to set the minmum speed as before, rather than worry about bogus fans.

tanassi

Post by tanassi » Wed Nov 02, 2011 10:32 am

quest_for_silence wrote:If I'm not wrong, probably the most important difference between you is the BIOS: you're talking of two very different card, and it may be likely that the AC fans are differently driven.

I think it's more suspicious that you are not able to set the minmum speed as before, rather than worry about bogus fans.
It's a flashed bios. Ymmv.

Ive read on another site that someone had the same problem: he put on a real AC and it became a much more quiet GPU. It might just be an rpm thing but I doubt it.