Looking for quiet cooling for Antec p183, advice appreciated

Cooling Processors quietly

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

jfish26101

Re: Looking for quiet cooling for Antec p183, advice appreci

Post by jfish26101 » Tue Nov 01, 2011 5:23 pm

In the details, it says:
4-Pin Peripheral Adapter Provided
To be versatile, this case fan comes with the 4-pin peripheral adapter.
So I should be good there.

Back to the MB for a second though. That MB has two 4-pin CPU connectors (one will be the CM 212+ correct?), one 4-pin and one 3-pin chases fan connectors, and two 3-pin power connectors. I'm not really sure what that means but I should be good correct? :D

...and I'm not necessarily getting that board, I'm just trying to figure out exactly what I'm reading there. I just randomly picked a board and looked at its manual, I'll spend some time this weekend really looking at the boards I've been shopping and make sure one will work.

Deucal

Post by Deucal » Tue Nov 01, 2011 6:51 pm

All computers can be made more quiet with a little work.
1st, get a nice big heat sink with a quiet fan off the spcr recommended list.
2nd buy Thermalright Shaman gpu cooler for your gfx card. It's big, it's quiet and can be transferred to other cards in the future. Plus the stock gfx cooler will be THE noise maker.
3rd switch out the case fans with proven quiet ones.
4th suspend the WD hdd with fabric rubber bands like shown in many places here on spcr. Not very hard to do.
5th buy a decent fan controller if you can't control all the necessary fans on the mobo.
6th make sure you have decent airflow through the whole case.
7th Profit from a powerful but quiet PC!

All easy to do. And once you get a PC that doesn't sound like a vacuum cleaner, you will finally understand just how fatigued you got from the noise.

jfish26101

Post by jfish26101 » Wed Nov 02, 2011 4:25 am

Deucal wrote:All computers can be made more quiet with a little work.
1st, get a nice big heat sink with a quiet fan off the spcr recommended list.
2nd buy Thermalright Shaman gpu cooler for your gfx card. It's big, it's quiet and can be transferred to other cards in the future. Plus the stock gfx cooler will be THE noise maker.
3rd switch out the case fans with proven quiet ones.
4th suspend the WD hdd with fabric rubber bands like shown in many places here on spcr. Not very hard to do.
5th buy a decent fan controller if you can't control all the necessary fans on the mobo.
6th make sure you have decent airflow through the whole case.
7th Profit from a powerful but quiet PC!

All easy to do. And once you get a PC that doesn't sound like a vacuum cleaner, you will finally understand just how fatigued you got from the noise.
Based off your checklist, Abula, cmh, and kuzzia have me going in the right direction. With the exception of #2 and #4, I should be in good shape.

I tried running a search on Newegg and came up empty but I'll keep looking. I found a site that says it is compatible with the 570, uses 3-pin connector, and is can be controlled with PWM from BIOS (assuming my MB is PWM enabled) correct?

#4 sounds interesting, I'll have to look around and see exactly what you mean.

Thanks.

jfish26101

Post by jfish26101 » Wed Nov 02, 2011 9:24 am

I've done some more digging, is this cooler discontinued? I couldn't find one on any of the websites I typically search for parts.

Abula

Post by Abula » Wed Nov 02, 2011 9:44 am

jfish26101 wrote:I've done some more digging, is this cooler discontinued? I couldn't find one on any of the websites I typically search for parts.
Which cooler?

jfish26101

Post by jfish26101 » Wed Nov 02, 2011 9:47 am

The Thermalright Shaman that Deucal was suggesting.

jfish26101

Post by jfish26101 » Thu Nov 03, 2011 11:56 am

Based on some posts in this thread, I think I will use one of the fans to replace the CM 212+ fan, then replace the two stock fans, and then try to look for a cooling unit for my GPU. I'm still having problems finding a Thermalright Shaman (as Deucal suggested) but I did find a couple of lists with recommendations.

Anyone have any personal recommendations?

Thanks as always.

NotSilentXtrmDeadly

Post by NotSilentXtrmDeadly » Thu Nov 03, 2011 2:21 pm

@jfish26101

I don't get you dude.

1. You post in a forum of a site that's main focus is on silent PCs.
2. You subject your original post about "quiet cooling".
3. You say this is your first computer that was not store bought.

Then... you proceed to provide these comments to people that are giving you advice (that you asked for) without asking for anything in return?
Again, I am far more concerned with performance, then budget, then noise level. As I said in my posts above, I am looking to for a reasonably priced way to cool my computer w/o adding much more noise... I think I was pretty clear with what I was looking for.
Are you really?
Lastly, for the 398952903985092830989 time, being quiet is NOT my main focus.
Please refer to points 1 and 2 above.
If you don't want to help with that, don't bother replying because I am not going to change out new parts (potentially sacrificing performance) when a computer's noise level doesn't affect its performance in any way.
Your logic is flawed on a very basic level... and on other levels as well.
So, again, no I don't take offense to your posts because (1) I don't think anyone should build a computer with the main focus it being as quiet as possible when it doesn't affect performance and (2) I disagree with nearly everything you have said about the build I have begun putting together.
So... you want people (who have actually built computers before) to give you advice, so that you can then tell them you know more than them?

jfish26101

Post by jfish26101 » Thu Nov 03, 2011 6:18 pm

So from reading reviews and searching this website, the ARCTIC Accelero S1 VGA Cooler seems to be the VGA cooler of choice. However, I didn't see the GPU I planned to buy (GTX 570) on its compatibility list.

(1) Am I reading all of this correctly that the Accelero S1 Cooler is not compatible with the 570?

(2) If that is correct, does anyone know of a reasonably priced cooler that does a good job and isn't too loud that would be compatible?

I came across the ARCTIC Accelero XTREME Plus II but there aren't that many reviews, it seems a bit expensive, and a little bit like overkill.

Thanks.

Deucal

Post by Deucal » Fri Nov 04, 2011 1:35 am

http://www.thermalright.com/where_to_buy/

I think it came to the market this year, and has every other aftermarket GPU air cooler beat in every review I've read about it to date.

http://www.thermalright.com/products/in ... =30&id=164

edit:
This is how I did the hdd suspension in my old rig.
http://i891.photobucket.com/albums/ac12 ... Mynd27.jpg

whole project:
viewtopic.php?f=14&t=58961

Deucal

Post by Deucal » Fri Nov 04, 2011 1:51 am

After some extensive search results look up, I found one on ebay sold by a good reputation seller.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Thermalright-Sh ... 035wt_1163

this cooler seems a bit scarce in the US at the moment, just saw sold out signs here and there.

Np finding it in India, Aussieland and UK

edit:
Got mine on super Sale here in Japan, US$38 8)

markanini

Post by markanini » Fri Nov 04, 2011 2:51 am

If prices are any cheaper and you wont use dual SLI consider Gigbayte UD4 to be a solid alternative to Asus for the mobo.

jfish26101

Post by jfish26101 » Fri Nov 04, 2011 4:14 am

Deucal wrote:http://www.thermalright.com/where_to_buy/

I think it came to the market this year, and has every other aftermarket GPU air cooler beat in every review I've read about it to date.

http://www.thermalright.com/products/in ... =30&id=164

edit:
This is how I did the hdd suspension in my old rig.
http://i891.photobucket.com/albums/ac12 ... Mynd27.jpg

whole project:
viewtopic.php?f=14&t=58961
Deucal wrote:After some extensive search results look up, I found one on ebay sold by a good reputation seller.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Thermalright-Sh ... 035wt_1163

this cooler seems a bit scarce in the US at the moment, just saw sold out signs here and there.

Np finding it in India, Aussieland and UK

edit:
Got mine on super Sale here in Japan, US$38 8)
This listing was ended by the seller because the item is no longer available.
I'll keep an eye out for it.

Thanks.

Edit: Read your thread and looked at most of the pictures, looks like that took a ton of time to finish. Hopefully the guy I have working on my computer will be able to do a good job and all of the parts work (which seems to be a problem reading through threads about new builds on multiple websites).
Last edited by jfish26101 on Fri Nov 04, 2011 7:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

jfish26101

Post by jfish26101 » Fri Nov 04, 2011 4:20 am

markanini wrote:If prices are any cheaper and you wont use dual SLI consider Gigbayte UD4 to be a solid alternative to Asus for the mobo.
I will keep that in mind thanks. I may or may not use two cards, definitely wont initially.

Deucal

Post by Deucal » Mon Nov 07, 2011 9:23 am

The time that took on that computer was total about 2,5 day's if I remember correctly, that's with shopping and food brake.
I enjoy this kinda of tinkering :). Plus I cleaned it out and everything. If I had been starting out with all new stuff bought and ready it would take maybe a day, with all the hardware and software installation and testing I do.

Just got a reply from Thermalright support, seems they have stopped production on VGA coolers since the market is too tough at the moment for aftermarket coolers. They're keeping an eye on it and might return when things get more favorable.
So if anyone wants any of their superior VGA coolers get them now if you can find one.

jfish26101

Post by jfish26101 » Tue Nov 08, 2011 6:35 am

Being my first build, would probably take me considerably longer! :D I'm eager to get all the parts and get started.
Deucal wrote:Just got a reply from Thermalright support, seems they have stopped production on VGA coolers since the market is too tough at the moment for aftermarket coolers. They're keeping an eye on it and might return when things get more favorable.

So if anyone wants any of their superior VGA coolers get them now if you can find one.
Well that explains why I couldn't find one anywhere. I even tried calling a couple of places but not luck.

On another site, the MSI GTX 570 Twin Frozr III was recommended. Multiple users said it had less VRM issues and that the VGA cooling unit was more than sufficient so no need to replace it. Any thoughts on that card? I'm thinking that may be the route I go.

quest_for_silence

Post by quest_for_silence » Tue Nov 08, 2011 6:52 am

jfish26101 wrote:Any thoughts on that card?

What a bad luck that I know that card, troll: you have to directly/indirectly read this advice.

IME it's very, very quiet at idle but a completely no-go at load, noise wise (headphones required).
I was referring running the card at its "Silent mode": the "Power mode" is noticeably noisier, even at idle (louder even than the reference design card, I mean).

A similar card, with reference to noise-profile is the "Goes Like Hell" by Gainward: very good at idle, disappointing at load.

At anyway, using Rivatuner/Afterburner you may mitigate the load noise, trading off a bit less noise for higher temps.

jfish26101

Post by jfish26101 » Tue Nov 08, 2011 7:05 am

Well I was told the ASUS DCII was comparable and quieter, but I'm afraid it wont fit due to its size.

Based on the hierarchy chart at Tom's Hardware and the PassMark benchmarks I've seen, I really do want a GTX 570. For price vs. performance, it seems like the best card for my budget. I'll have to do some more reading before I eventually decide on one of them.

More thoughts are of course welcome. Thanks.

quest_for_silence

Post by quest_for_silence » Tue Nov 08, 2011 7:45 am

jfish26101 wrote:Well I was told the ASUS DCII was comparable and quieter, but I'm afraid it wont fit due to its size.

The three-slots DirectCu cooler works very well on AMD/ATI cards, I don't know on Nvidia ones which are, however, hotter cards.

I can add that the two-slots DC-II (seen on the GTX560Ti) is actually slightly louder than the TF-III on the GTX570, so - due to the fact that the GTX570 is fairly hotter than the Ti - I guess that three-slots one shouldn't be really better, noise-wise, than the above mentioned TF-III.

But these are mere speculations.

Eventually, if you have 12" inches spare for the card, you may even think to pick the cheapest (but good) GTX570 and fit it with an aftermarket AC Xtreme Plus, or II (check the relevant SPCR review about the AC Xtreme Plus), the total expense shouldn't go too much higher than a good MSI or ASUS card (but you could gain from 5 to 10dB at load, I think).