CPU: Intel Core i7-2600K
MEMORY: G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 16GB @1600
GPU: EVGA GTX 260
CPU Cooler: Stock Intel
FANS: 3x Scythe SY1225SL12LM-P
SSD: Intel 510 120 GB
HDD: Western Digital Caviar Green WD30EZRX
OPTICAL: LG WH12LS30 Blue-ray writer with Lightscribe

Goal is to stay below 30db when not gaming. Target met (except for power supply!!!) No pics yet due to power supply issue.

Factual Design Mini is a nice case and better than the Antec P180 mini of the computer it replaces. Sides are the heaviest parts but seem to do the job. The back of the mainboard has a decent amount of room to run cables – more than some reviews indicate. I had no problem putting the cover on eve with the big 24pin PSU connector routed behind (thickest cable one should have back there).

The Scythe fans seem good and quite enough. The ASUS software is used to ramp the speed a bit when gaming. One fan in front intake, one on the side for the video and one output by the CPU (top covered, bottoms not used).

Went with the Intel 510 SSD as I wanted stability over speed, I’ll take a few MB deduction for not having to play computer tech at home (that’s what my job is and there I get paid!). The WD 3TB drive is one I got earlier in the year for $150, now at $250…

Power supply: Well yeah not what I would call a quite one but it is temporary and better then the Corsair AX I got. Got the Corsair AX due to haing flat cables but now that I see the space is not an issue behind the case I wish I had not gotten it. The Corsair AX while working and quite to start makes an annoying buzz when the mouse moved or going to 3D mode. The Thermaltake TR2-600 is a temporary one I keep on hand at the office for bench testing and “oh s***” moments. So having had a Seasonic 650 blow with sparks last Christmas Eve, and the Corsair buzzing I need to do some research for a replacement. Enermax or Kingwin seem to be the target now.

To-do: Replace the video card with an ASUS DCII 570 or maybe a 6950 if Nvida can’t sort out their TDR driver mess. Replace the stock cooler with a Corsair H80 (stock Intel doing a fair job for now). Probably set to pull air in over the radiator and exhaust out the top.

EDIT BY ADMIN - Subject line corrected: Quite does not equal Quiet.

Lsv

Re: Quite Gamer (Factual Design Mini)

Post by Lsv » Wed Dec 21, 2011 2:11 pm

mttcrlsn wrote:CASE: Factual Design Mini
PSU: Thermaltake TR2-600
MOBO: ASUS Maximus IV Gene-Z
CPU: Intel Core i7-2600K
MEMORY: G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 16GB @1600
GPU: EVGA GTX 260
CPU Cooler: Stock Intel
FANS: 3x Scythe SY1225SL12LM-P
SSD: Intel 510 120 GB
HDD: Western Digital Caviar Green WD30EZRX
OPTICAL: LG WH12LS30 Blue-ray writer with Lightscribe

Goal is to stay below 30db when not gaming. Target met (except for power supply!!!) No pics yet due to power supply issue.

Factual Design Mini is a nice case and better than the Antec P180 mini of the computer it replaces. Sides are the heaviest parts but seem to do the job. The back of the mainboard has a decent amount of room to run cables – more than some reviews indicate. I had no problem putting the cover on eve with the big 24pin PSU connector routed behind (thickest cable one should have back there).

The Scythe fans seem good and quite enough. The ASUS software is used to ramp the speed a bit when gaming. One fan in front intake, one on the side for the video and one output by the CPU (top covered, bottoms not used).

Went with the Intel 510 SSD as I wanted stability over speed, I’ll take a few MB deduction for not having to play computer tech at home (that’s what my job is and there I get paid!). The WD 3TB drive is one I got earlier in the year for $150, now at $250…

Power supply: Well yeah not what I would call a quite one but it is temporary and better then the Corsair AX I got. Got the Corsair AX due to haing flat cables but now that I see the space is not an issue behind the case I wish I had not gotten it. The Corsair AX while working and quite to start makes an annoying buzz when the mouse moved or going to 3D mode. The Thermaltake TR2-600 is a temporary one I keep on hand at the office for bench testing and “oh s***” moments. So having had a Seasonic 650 blow with sparks last Christmas Eve, and the Corsair buzzing I need to do some research for a replacement. Enermax or Kingwin seem to be the target now.

To-do: Replace the video card with an ASUS DCII 570 or maybe a 6950 if Nvida can’t sort out their TDR driver mess. Replace the stock cooler with a Corsair H80 (stock Intel doing a fair job for now). Probably set to pull air in over the radiator and exhaust out the top.
Good stuff, pics?!

Abula

Post by Abula » Wed Dec 21, 2011 5:40 pm

mttcrlsn wrote:To-do: Replace the video card with an ASUS DCII 570 or maybe a 6950 if Nvida can’t sort out their TDR driver mess.
Whats TDR?
mttcrlsn wrote:Replace the stock cooler with a Corsair H80 (stock Intel doing a fair job for now). Probably set to pull air in over the radiator and exhaust out the top.
I would avoid the H80, a tower cooler with good fan should be good enough, since you already going with lots of slipstreams, and if you like them, i would go with Scythe Mugen 3, also comes with one slipstream PWM.

Btw just wondering, there were issues with another GeneZ user and slipstreams using Case Fan Headers, he couldn't lower then below 1000RPM, i know the bios restricts the case fan headers to 60%, but this shoudl be around 780rpms, but i seen other use AI SUITE / Fan Xpert and lower below that... but just wondering since you have full PWM Slipstreams what speeds is your setup allowing.

ace_uk

Post by ace_uk » Fri Dec 23, 2011 10:46 am

Minor nitpick. It's Fractal Design, not Factual Design!

N7SC
Location: Sunny Florida, where dead people vote 3 times in a county they never even lived in!

Re: Quiet Gamer (Factual Design Mini)

Post by N7SC » Fri Dec 23, 2011 3:36 pm

mttcrlsn wrote:EDIT BY ADMIN - Subject line corrected: Quite does not equal Quiet.
Thank you to whomever the Administrator is who pointed this out. This misspelling is becoming alarmingly common on the web these days.