Looking for opinions on case for HTPC

Enclosures and acoustic damping to help quiet them.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Devonavar

Abula

Looking for opinions on case for HTPC

Post by Abula » Sun Nov 20, 2011 11:23 pm

I have some spare parts from previous builds that i want to put in use in HTPC,

CPU: Intel Core i3-2120
CPU Cooler: Scythe Mugen 3
MOBO: Intel DQ67SWB3
GPU: Sparkle GeForce GTS 450
HDD: Crucial M4 64GB
Memory: G.SKILL ECO Series 4GB
Fans: Scythe Kama FLEX PWM 120 SA1225FDB12H-P (i have 8 that didnt use on the server)

On the PSU im stil deciding between Seasonic X-560 or Seasonic X-400, probably dont need the 560W but both are at the same price.

I game a lot but on my desktop, i dont plan to play on the HTPC but on a rare ocasion with friends over i might. This HTPC is going to be mostly used for 1080p playback, probably madVR.

Now where i need opinions is the case, the problem is that i want to use Mugen 3 and the Sparkle GPU, but with both i think it rules out most of the HTPC horizontal cases, although im open for one if you know it will fit a 158mm height cooler. I dont mind it to be a vertical tower so im looking into those atm, i would like it to be as quiet as possible, this is what im looking atm but im open for suggestion,

Antec Mini P180 Case
Like a lot the looks specially black interior, its micro atx but seems big, i would dump both hdds cages for dual frontal fans (spinning at 300rpm), seems wide enough to fit the mugen 3 and has sound dampening on the side panels, easy to access fan filters. Worried a little about the top 200mm fan if its going to be quiet or noticeable on low.

Antec Sonata Series SOLO II
Wasn't planning on considering ATX cases, but seems this case is materialistic and with dual fan on front, seems to have good cooling and very low obstruction for the fans, like the looks although not a big fan of glossy finishes. The fan filters seems semi easy to access as you need to take out the side panel to push the ledges, but after that seems very easy to remove. Not a big fan of top PSU mounted cases, but seems it helps to keep the gpus cool with fans oriented there. Don't like the lack of CM holes, but i guess its not that bad either.

SilverStone FT03B
Micro ATX, like the design, but not sure if it would be a quiet case, i might not be able to use the intake cpu case fan cause of the orientation and the mugen3. Like a lot its a mate finish and the cables stay fully hidden with the design of the PSU. Not sure how would compare on cooling with the other two.

Thanks for taking the time on reading, looking forward to your opinions and im open for other case suggestion.

Arbutus

Re: Looking for opinions on case for HTPC

Post by Arbutus » Mon Nov 21, 2011 12:56 pm

I would go with the Solo II with a positive pressure system using 2 fans on the front of the chassis and a fan on the CPU heat sink. I would replace the solid slot covers with vented slot covers. The air will exit out all the unblocked holes on the back of the chassis. Those Scythe fans don't use very much power and you can safely run 3 of them from the CPU fan header using the PWM Y-splitters.

Abula

Post by Abula » Mon Nov 21, 2011 1:17 pm

Arbutus wrote:I would go with the Solo II with a positive pressure system using 2 fans on the front of the chassis and a fan on the CPU heat sink. I would replace the solid slot covers with vented slot covers. The air will exit out all the unblocked holes on the back of the chassis. Those Scythe fans don't use very much power and you can safely run 3 of them from the CPU fan header using the PWM Y-splitters.
Thanks fro the reply, so solo II + X400 it is, going to be adding at least 4 of the kamaflex, the intel mobo runs them at 300-400rpm virtually inaudible, will post pics in a month or so, as the case/psu is coming by boat.

Arbutus

Post by Arbutus » Tue Nov 22, 2011 7:20 am

Some air flow through the x400 will be needed and so you might have to partially block the rear chassis fan position so that the PS gets some of the air flow. Or, you could save some money and get a PS with a fan.

Abula

Post by Abula » Tue Nov 22, 2011 7:30 am

Arbutus wrote:Some air flow through the x400 will be needed and so you might have to partially block the rear chassis fan position so that the PS gets some of the air flow. Or, you could save some money and get a PS with a fan.
Well i could have gotten the X560 which has a fan for the same price, but im kinda curious for the X400, and the idle might be low enough that the fan wont start on the X560, so i though would be better to have one that its fully design for being fanless.

I'm going to use 2 intake fans and only 1 outtake fan (all the same fans working at the same rpms), so im assuming some air will be forced through the PSU (or the top vent) because of the relation 2:1. Im thinking more of using the PSU facing up though, and allowing the normal rule that heat rises and let it exit throught the top vent of the Solo II, but im not totally sure.

Arbutus

Post by Arbutus » Tue Nov 22, 2011 7:53 am

OOPS, I forgot about the top vent on the Solo II.

I don't think that you need a fan on the back if you use 2 fans on the front as the air has no choice but to exit where you allow.