Upgrading from a 2007 build (Antec Solo)

Enclosures and acoustic damping to help quiet them.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Devonavar

borisg

Upgrading from a 2007 build (Antec Solo)

Post by borisg » Sun Dec 18, 2011 4:07 pm

Hello everybody,

I'm upgrading my old build from 2007, and wanted to ask for some advice as to the case. The old build was nested inside an Antec Solo, which I was very happy with - until both the power-up and restart buttons broke during the last year. It's not the end of the world - I can stick in a finger [a pinky for restarting, bent at a rather queer angle :P] - but not very convenient either.

Thing is, the rest of the case is as good as it was 4 years ago, and as I intend to keep the PSU and fans, one option would be just to keep the old case, never minding the broken buttons. But if I decide to get a new one, which one would you recommend? (Solo II is not available in Israel yet, so that's not an option. I could get another Solo I, though I'd be basically paying $100 for two plastic buttons, which is a bit silly.) Size is of no issue, btw - I don't mind going bigger than the Solo - as long as it has a solid build and good acoustics.

Thanks in advance - any suggestions/thoughts will be much appreciated.

Pappnaas

Re: Upgrading from a 2007 build (Antec Solo)

Post by Pappnaas » Mon Dec 19, 2011 4:38 am

http://store.antec.com/Category/accesso ... parts.aspx

you might contact them via mail to inquire if there are any spare parts for your case.

kuzzia
Friend of SPCR

Post by kuzzia » Mon Dec 19, 2011 5:46 am

Well, will your new system be more demanding than your current system? If not, I see no reason to upgrade the case, unless you want to try something new.

Now which cases to recommend?

NZXT H2
Fractal Design R3

At least that's the ones I can remember..

borisg

Post by borisg » Mon Dec 19, 2011 1:36 pm

That's a brilliant idea, Pappnaas - will try that.

Kuzzia, thanks for the the reply - you ask the right question. No, the next system won't be any more demanding, and I'm not in any particular need to try something new; so if I can get spare power-up buttons, I think the case is solved :)

kuzzia
Friend of SPCR

Post by kuzzia » Mon Dec 19, 2011 2:32 pm

That sounds swell. :) I hope Antec have the necessary spare parts. They should have many in stock since many Antec Solo power buttons have broken over time.

borisg

Post by borisg » Wed Dec 21, 2011 4:05 am

Just got a reply from Antec. They can't sell the buttons by themselves, only the full front panel - and not from the Solo, but from the Sonata, which they claim is completely compatible, with the difference being only in the color of the frame (Image - garish, but I don't mind it too much, the case sits under the desk anyway).

But the price... 35 Euros for the thing (~$46), shipping included. Do you guys think it's worth it?

kuzzia
Friend of SPCR

Post by kuzzia » Wed Dec 21, 2011 11:49 am

I think it's worth it. The Solo seems like a good case, and if you intend to replace it with something similar, it would cost three times that price.

Pappnaas

Post by Pappnaas » Thu Dec 22, 2011 12:48 pm

But the price... 35 Euros for the thing (~$46), shipping included. Do you guys think it's worth it?
In germany there's no case in the range of 40€ that would come even close to Solo/Sonata. Coming in close, but probably needing some modifications up to swapping fans would be

http://www.nzxt.com/new/products/classi ... _210_elite
http://www.bitfenix.com/global/en/produ ... is/outlaw/
http://www.bitfenix.com/global/en/produ ... merc-alpha

You might even find a NSK4000 around this price range.

CA_Steve

Post by CA_Steve » Thu Dec 22, 2011 2:59 pm

Since you'd be replacing the front panel assembly anyway...have you tried using superglue to re-attach the broken plastic reset and power buttons? I got another year out of my front panel doing this.

borisg

Post by borisg » Thu Dec 22, 2011 4:50 pm

Thanks for the advice, guys. I too feel that it's worth it - I'm completely happy with the rest of the case, and if I can get another 4-5 years out of it for €35, it's good value for money.

Steve, I'm afraid I've thrown the buttons away a few months ago, when they broke. The connection point seemed so thin that I didn't even think of gluing the back (probably was worth a try, but, well.)

So, I guess case is solved :)

CA_Steve

Post by CA_Steve » Thu Dec 22, 2011 7:45 pm

Oh man. With a pun like that, it better be your last post. :D

thegrommit

Post by thegrommit » Sun Dec 25, 2011 6:36 am

borisg wrote:Thanks for the advice, guys. I too feel that it's worth it - I'm completely happy with the rest of the case, and if I can get another 4-5 years out of it for €35, it's good value for money.

Steve, I'm afraid I've thrown the buttons away a few months ago, when they broke. The connection point seemed so thin that I didn't even think of gluing the back (probably was worth a try, but, well.)

So, I guess case is solved :)
To avoid this happening again, see if there is a BIOS setting that will allow the keyboard to wake the system. That removes the need to use the power button on a daily basis.

Pappnaas

Post by Pappnaas » Mon Dec 26, 2011 2:17 am

thegrommit wrote: To avoid this happening again, see if there is a BIOS setting that will allow the keyboard to wake the system. That removes the need to use the power button on a daily basis.
Had this configured once, but forgot to tell my cat.