Quiet Power Supply

PSUs: The source of DC power for all components in the PC & often a big noise source.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee, Devonavar

arsenal009

Quiet Power Supply

Post by arsenal009 » Sat Dec 24, 2011 5:09 pm

Hey guys, I am having issues with the noise level of my machine. I decided to unplug everything & the only things I had left plugged in were power supply & motherboard.

My Thermaltake Silent Purepower W0011 power supply:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6817153010

My ASUS P5QL/EPU motherboard:
http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.as ... 6813131393

I realized then that most of the noise is coming from either my power supply or motherboard. The thing is, my motherboard only has heat sinks, no fans, so I am assuming it's the power supply that's making the noise. Do u guys think this is safe to assume?

The power supply has a manual controller for the fans. When I turn the knob all the way up, u can really hear it. However, when I turn the knob anywhere between all the way down to half way, the noise level is the same. This is why I believe there is a humming noise coming from some other part of the power supply that overrides the fan noise. Any ideas what it could be & also if I can buy a power supply that will be much quieter.

Thanks

Abula

Re: Quiet Power Supply

Post by Abula » Sat Dec 24, 2011 5:31 pm

arsenal009 wrote:Any ideas what it could be & also if I can buy a power supply that will be much quieter.
Its best for you to post your complete specs of your PC so we can suggest a PSU in the case thats problem, but i think you should start stopping components and identify whats causing the noise. Open your case to have less risk of something overheating, if the noise is present at idle, do not load the pc, just let it sit and start stopping fans for brief periods, the best would be to stay minimal like only CPU fan and the PSU fan and stop either briefly and see if you can pin point the noise, it could even be bad caps or coil noise, sometimes is hard to point the noise, but with a little patience you might be able to. My bet is on the PSU, specially with dual small fans, but you never know.

If its the PSU, check SPCR list of recommended PSUs, brands that you should look for are Seasonic X series (although some have reported buzz on them, i haven't had a single issues with mine), Kingwin Striker and Platinum, Enermax 87+, Corsair AX series.

arsenal009

Post by arsenal009 » Sat Dec 24, 2011 6:01 pm

Abula wrote:
arsenal009 wrote:If its the PSU, check SPCR list of recommended PSUs, brands that you should look for are Seasonic X series (although some have reported buzz on them, i haven't had a single issues with mine), Kingwin Striker and Platinum, Enermax 87+, Corsair AX series.
Where can I find this list?

Also, as mentioned earlier, I turned off everything except the motherboard & the power supply, so it has to be one of those.

Abula

Post by Abula » Sat Dec 24, 2011 7:05 pm

arsenal009 wrote:Where can I find this list?
SPCR Recommended Power Supplies
arsenal009 wrote:Also, as mentioned earlier, I turned off everything except the motherboard & the power supply, so it has to be one of those.
Well if you know its either, you could take out the PSU, and just short the a couple of connectors on the PSU to turn on without a mobo, here is a couple of videos, Turn on a Power Supply without a Motherboard and/or How To / Turn ON PC Power Supply WithOut MotherBoard, just be careful into not plugging the paper clip while its connected and to know that the paper clip wont be touching any other things.

arsenal009

Post by arsenal009 » Sun Dec 25, 2011 8:07 pm

Hey Abula, I tried ur trick & found out it's the power supply that's making the noise.

I also posted a new topic with my specs. Can u pls check it out & give me a recommendation: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=63641

Thanks!