Help me find a case Please!

New to PC silencing? Read & post your questions here. Dedicated to rosy_toes.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Abula

Re: Quiet, small performance build

Post by Abula » Mon Dec 26, 2011 11:00 am

mykez69 wrote:If im building a micro atx will everything fit in the mini atx case?
No, Micro ATX is bigger than Mini ITX. A mini ITX motherboard will fit on micro ATX case, but not the other way around. Thats why i suggested all the mini ITX mobos, but you apparently change your mind and went with Micro ATX.

A new case that its just coming out for micro atx that its very nice, similar to my TJ08-E but better imo as it comes with standard 120mm fans on front instead of the noisy 180mm is the Silverstone PS07 mATX

mykez69

Post by mykez69 » Mon Dec 26, 2011 11:05 am

going to go back to mini atx. micro is too big.

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showprodu ... ubcat=2071

going to order this instead and send the micro one back

mykez69

Post by mykez69 » Mon Dec 26, 2011 11:07 am

Abula wrote:
mykez69 wrote:If im building a micro atx will everything fit in the mini atx case?
No, Micro ATX is bigger than Mini ITX. A mini ITX motherboard will fit on micro ATX case, but not the other way around. Thats why i suggested all the mini ITX mobos, but you apparently change your mind and went with Micro ATX.

A new case that its just coming out for micro atx that its very nice, similar to my TJ08-E but better imo as it comes with standard 120mm fans on front instead of the noisy 180mm is the Silverstone PS07 mATX
Sorry, I got all confused, I thought mini was micro lol

now ive ordered the wrong mobo

Abula

Post by Abula » Mon Dec 26, 2011 11:10 am

mykez69 wrote:going to go back to mini atx. micro is too big.

Now remember that if you go with picoPSU i did recommed to go with a mobo that has the PSU connector away from the memory slots, this one you chosing has it right next to it, but if you go with standard ATX PSU you should be fine, this is just if you are going for picoPSU.

mykez69

Post by mykez69 » Mon Dec 26, 2011 11:14 am

Abula wrote:
mykez69 wrote:going to go back to mini atx. micro is too big.

Now remember that if you go with picoPSU i did recommed to go with a mobo that has the PSU connector away from the memory slots, this one you chosing has it right next to it, but if you go with standard ATX PSU you should be fine, this is just if you are going for picoPSU.
I get it now lol silly me.

Thanks so much, I just bought the micro motherboard but will send it back when it arrives

mykez69

Post by mykez69 » Mon Dec 26, 2011 11:23 am

will this

ASUS P8H67-I DELUXE (REV 3.0) LGA 1155 Intel H67 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 Mini ITX Intel Motherboard

deliver the same HD quality etc as same as this one?

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showprodu ... =MB-452-AS

mykez69

Post by mykez69 » Mon Dec 26, 2011 11:24 am

I guess i ordered the wrong ram too. Urgh

Abula

Post by Abula » Mon Dec 26, 2011 11:32 am

mykez69 wrote:will this

ASUS P8H67-I DELUXE (REV 3.0) LGA 1155 Intel H67 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 Mini ITX Intel Motherboard

deliver the same HD quality etc as same as this one?

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showprodu ... =MB-452-AS
Yes thats a mini ITX motherboard with the PSU socket not in front of the memory, it should be as capable as the micro atx you ordred, just smaller.

But take your time and read on it, here is a SPCR review of it, Asus P8H67-I Deluxe Mini-ITX Motherboard. Check this motherboard and the other i suggested, and any other you are considering before ordering, check the placement of the PSU socket, check that has the outputs you need for your dual display, for example this mobo has VGA, DVI and HDMI, other motherboards can come with dual DVI or with even Display port, chose according to your needs and dont rush it.

mykez69

Post by mykez69 » Mon Dec 26, 2011 11:38 am

Ok, I will go for the asus one you recommended.

What ram do i need for this?

mykez69

Post by mykez69 » Mon Dec 26, 2011 11:45 am

204 pin SO DIM?

Abula

Post by Abula » Mon Dec 26, 2011 12:02 pm

mykez69 wrote:Ok, I will go for the asus one you recommended.

What ram do i need for this?
Again dont rush this, read on it, but if you are sure you think this is the right mobo for you,

According to newegg details, 2×204pin SO-DIMM
According to SPCR Review on the mobo, 2 x Small Outline DIMM, Max. 16 GB, DDR3 1333/1066 Non-ECC, Un-buffered Memory, Dual Channel memory architecture
According to Asus webpage, 2 x SO-DIMM, Max. 16GB, DDR3 1333/1066 Hz Non-ECC, Un-buffered Memory, Dual Channel Memory Architecture
* Refer to http://www.asus.com or user manual for the Memory QVL (Qualified Vendors Lists).

Go to Memory/Device Support and download the P8H67-I Deluxe QVL List, in there you will see the approve memories for it, including the model numbers so you can get memory that should run fine on it. Checking the list for 1333mhz memory and searching on amazon uk i found the following (up to you to crosscheck that its the right one),
Corsair CMSO4GX3M1A1333C9 4GB DDR3 Laptop Memory
G.Skill SQ Series - Memory - 4 GB - SO DIMM 204-pin - DDR3 - 1333 MHz / PC3-10666 - CL9 - unbuffered - non-ECC
GEIL 4 GB DDR3-1333 memory module - PC3-10660 CL9 (GS34GB1333C9SC)

I found the mobo on amazon uk (idk where you are from but seems all you posting are on pounds) so in case its useful you, ASUS 1155 P8H67-I DELUXE M-ITX and also in stock the Intel i3-2120 Sandybridge Core i3 Quad-Core Processor 3.30GHz, 3MB Cache, Socket 1155, 3 Year Warranty, Retail Boxed or the Intel Core i3 2125 3.3 GHz Processor with Socket 1155, L3 3Mb, Sandy Bridge, 32nm in case you want the Intel HD3000 iGPU.

On the PSU, idk any Europe vendors for picoPSU, googling found 12V 150W PicoPSU-150-XT, but they dont have the FSP 12V 150W AC Adapter 2.5mm Jack until january 13th (the brick is needed to power the PC), again idk any europe vendors at all, so maybe there are others.... Or if you want a fanless standard ATX PSU, Seasonic X-400FL Fanless.

mykez69

Post by mykez69 » Tue Dec 27, 2011 2:33 am

I'm on my phone at the moment so will have another read of all the links posted.

The Asus motherboard is pretty much the same as the one I first ordered so it will do the job lovely.

I was looking at going for hd 3000 with the 2025 i3 processor. Is there
No quad core processors that support hd3000?

Thanks for all your help. Your a credit to this site

I am in the uk by the way.

Abula

Post by Abula » Tue Dec 27, 2011 3:31 am

mykez69 wrote:No quad core processors that support hd3000?
There are quads that have Intel HD3000 iGPU, here are the four that i know,

Intel Core i5-2405S Sandy Bridge 2.5GHz (3.3GHz Turbo Boost) LGA 1155 65W Quad-Core Desktop Processor Intel HD Graphics 3000
Intel Core i5-2500K Sandy Bridge 3.3GHz (3.7GHz Turbo Boost) LGA 1155 95W Quad-Core Desktop Processor Intel HD Graphics 3000
Intel Core i7-2600K Sandy Bridge 3.4GHz (3.8GHz Turbo Boost) LGA 1155 95W Quad-Core Desktop Processor Intel HD Graphics 3000
Intel Core i7-2700K Sandy Bridge 3.5GHz (3.9GHz Turbo Boost) LGA 1155 95W Quad-Core Desktop Processor Intel HD Graphics 3000

Check the motherboard if it will support higher TDP CPUs as 3/4 i posted are 95W, only the 2405s is 65W TDP. These quads will be much more capable cpus but also more expensive, will draw more power and will have slightly higher temps, its up to you if you need/want it.

Remember check all the options you have and dont rush it, chose careful the motherboard, specially for having the connections you need, if it will support your dual displays, if it will support the CPU you want/need.

mykez69

Post by mykez69 » Tue Dec 27, 2011 4:09 am

Ok.

I have ordered the p8h67-i Deluxe with the corsair 8gb ram package.

Quad core is nearly double the price, I don't think I will really benefit from it so im sticking to the i3 2025 hd3000 which supports dual display.

I'm going for the sea sonic fanless PSU for the simple fact if I choose to add a GPU at a later date I will have more than enough power.

I have seen IDE - sata converters which I will need for my storage drive or I can convert it to usb drive until I get new hard drives. I can live without my storage drive until I order a new one.

Too many cases to choose from now though lol

I'm quite pleased with how much this build is costing, it's going to be a great hd playback multimedia machine, i can't wait.

I can't thank you enough for all your help.

Abula

Post by Abula » Tue Dec 27, 2011 5:37 am

mykez69 wrote:Too many cases to choose from now though lol
There are lots of option for building on mini ITX, but for trying to keep a small factor size while still using a standard ATX PSU (like the seasonic) and to keep open the option of a dedicated GPU, check Lian Li - Mini ITX PC Case - Aluminum - USB 3.0 - PC-Q11B - Black, its a mini ITX case that can fit a standard ATX PSU and its cooled by a single 140mm fan, can hold 2x 3.5 hdds (on the bottom) and has a 5.25 slot (on the top) for your optical drive, it should also be able to fit a dedicated GPU in the future if you wish to upgrade (up to 240mm i believe). Here is a video in case you want to see more, Lian Li PC-Q11B Mini-ITX Cube black unboxing. Check also Hardforum New Lian Li PC- Q11 itx case : Specification & Feature for more info, a lot of builds are posted there, a lot are using Thermalright AXP-140 on it without a fan (probably the frontal fan is enough to cool it with such a big heatsink), and some are using dedicated GPUs.

The good thing about the AXP-140 is the way its design with the pipes, you can also check my server build on my sig, with the CPU right next to PCI bracket the cooler will not interfere with it (very close though), but this is what allows to still use dedicated gpus on all those builds. One thing note is that its going to be very crowded case with a standard ATX PSU, so go for fully modular, as you will have very limited space for fitting cables. I personally didnt like the frontal fan on my Q08, so if you dont there are quieter options out there, like Noiseblocker NB-BlackSilentPro PK-1 or Scythe KAMA-FLEX SA1325FDB12L.

Before you go the AXP-140 route, crosscheck that it will clear the Corsair CMSO4GX3M1A1333C9 4GB DDR3 Laptop Memory (i believe its a little taller), my guess is it should be fine, as in my case there was enough clearance for taller memory, but this is important to crosscheck it before buying.

If you wish to use the internal USB3 header of your mobo, instead of routing the cables outside, consider Silverstone CP09 External to Internal 19-Pin USB 3.0 Adapter Cable : SST-CP09, this will allow you to connect the cables inside the case to the mobo usb3 header and end up with 4x usb3, 2 on the back 2 on the front.

Btw the above are just suggestions down the road, try all the stock stuff first see how you like it in terms of noise/temperature, and then decide if you wish to upgrade anything.

mykez69

Post by mykez69 » Tue Dec 27, 2011 9:19 am

Thanks. Will have a look at all that properly when I get my turn on the pc lol

Shall I make a build thread on here?

mykez69

Post by mykez69 » Tue Dec 27, 2011 9:28 am

Just found the i3 2125 for 110 pounds delivered on dabs.com

Not bad

Abula

Post by Abula » Tue Dec 27, 2011 10:04 am

mykez69 wrote:Shall I make a build thread on here?
I would use the Gallery section for posting your build once you have finish it. But if you have any questions still or problems you can continue here.
mykez69 wrote:Just found the i3 2125 for 110 pounds delivered on dabs.com

Not bad
Remember if you want to save some money while still going for the HD3000, the lowest CPU you can get with it is the i3 2105, the only difference with the i3 2125 is 200mhz on cpu clock speed, up to you if the price diference is worth it or not.

mykez69

Post by mykez69 » Tue Dec 27, 2011 12:27 pm

I will go for the 2125 i3, probably won't need the extra mhz but its not that much dearer really.

I'm going to use artic cooling 5 thermal paste, how much do I need?

Thanks for all the links to the products, im looking through them now.

mykez69

Post by mykez69 » Tue Dec 27, 2011 12:29 pm

I have just come across this ITX case.

I love it!

http://www.istorya.net/forums/fine-upgr ... lable.html

Abula

Post by Abula » Tue Dec 27, 2011 1:51 pm

mykez69 wrote:I'm going to use artic cooling 5 thermal paste, how much do I need?
Intel Stock cooler will come with preaplied paste, the one that they use is good enough not to bother to change it, read Intel Stock Thermal Compound Review | Hardware Secrets. Until you go with a after market cooler or you reinstall the intel cooler there is no need to buy paste, and most of the time the after market cooler will come with some paste, the amount you need is very small, size is like a rice or bean, Arctic Cooling MX-4 - Thermal paste is a good thermal compound, easy to apply and take off.

Since this seems to be your first time building, its best for you to check some videos into how to apply it, i personally like the bean/rice on the middle and let the pressure of the heatsink spread it ( I usually waste a couple of tries intentionally to get the amount right, like testing a little drop and see if the pressure of the heatsink covers the cpu, clean it and re do it, most of the time 2 or 3 times is good enough for me to conclude how much would i apply to get a full cpu with the paste by pressure), others do a thin coat spreading with a credit card... there is no prefect way of doing, i just prefer the simple one. When you install the intel cooler, just dont play to much with it, place on the cpu socket and apply force to the feet/latches for them to pass through the mobo and secure the cooler, is that simple, maybe 30sec tops. On the after market read on the manufacturers manual, some requiere the mobo to be taken out to install the mounting bracket. Here a video of remove and applying thermal compound/paste, Installing Thermal Compound (NCIX Tech Tips #11)
mykez69 wrote:I have just come across this ITX case.

I love it!

http://www.istorya.net/forums/fine-upgr ... lable.html
Remember for quiet system go with the least amount of fans as possible, and big fans are preferable as they will move more air at less RPMs, get big heatsinks that will fully utilize the low airflow your creating by having the fans spin down, use quiet components like SPCR approved hdds like green hdd for storage and ssd, all of this efforts can be run with a a small fan, most of the time a small fan has to spin very fast to move air making it noisy, but really depends on each case, but most of the time i avoid small fans like on the acrylic case, but again here is up to you, its your money, its your computer, only one person has to be happy with it, and thats you, so all i can try is to give suggestions, you are the one that has to take the decisions.

mykez69

Post by mykez69 » Tue Dec 27, 2011 4:58 pm

I take it both these rthermaltake coolers are the same. The top 2 just one comes with a fan and one without

http://www.google.co.uk/m/products?sour ... ht+axp-140+

I have built a pc before but the compound already came on the CPU etc. I was just making sure I thought of everything so nothing would get in the way of the day I assemble

Abula

Post by Abula » Tue Dec 27, 2011 9:58 pm

mykez69 wrote:I take it both these rthermaltake coolers are the same. The top 2 just one comes with a fan and one without

http://www.google.co.uk/m/products?sour ... ht+axp-140+
I think so, form the picture seems one with a fan other without, but best to contact the store/seller/site to know for sure as pictures sometimes don't match products. Don't buy it until you know what case your going as it might fit in some and not in others, i just pointed out out of many using it on the Q11, but there are other options like noctua NH-C14 or coolermaster Gemeni IIS, Scythe Big Shuriken, Prolimatech Samuels 17, etc. First chose the case, specially one that you like (size, design, cooling, etc), this PC is for you so you have to like it, and then research what cooler might work better for it.

I was browsing the Hardforum Q11 thread, and found some other info, some builds you should check, josephclemente's Lian Li PC-Q11B + Suck hole-cooled HD 6850, he is using a Seasonic X-560 which is the same size as X-400, so you know it fits, but its very tight on space, you will have to work a lot your cable management, check his build so you can get an idea into what your getting into. He also is using a fan on AXP-140, but not standard 120x25mm, he is using the fan that comes with Scythe Shuriken, 125x12mm, this fan is not available without the heatsink but there are options, like Scythe - Case Fan - 19 CFM - 800 RPM - Slip Stream Slim - SY1212SL12SL, this is not to say you need the fan, just pointing out that you can use one in case you want/need one.

Another build worth checking is [Sammelthread] Lian Li PC-Q11, he is using AMD but with Laptop memory and he measures where you can tell the height of it, seems like 35mm, from the thermalright AXP-140 specs, it can fit memory close to 40mm, so from here you can conclude that you can use the laptop memory below the axp140. He uses a Scythe Big Shuriken + Scythe Slip Stream PWM, probably in the P8H67-I Deluxe might block the pcie slot, but worth to check the thread, a lot of photos and ideas you can grab, also what to expect in terms of cable management.

Remember a small case its going to be hard to work with, when i did my Q08 build, was the hardest i have ever done, there is very little space to get your hands in, and you have to be patient and plan well ahead, specially cable management is very hard as there is no space to work with, but overall this comes with the form factor, if you want to build small you will have suffer... :), remember to search for other cases, one that you like and fits what your looking in terms of size, looks and performance.

Good luck,

mykez69

Post by mykez69 » Wed Dec 28, 2011 1:25 pm

HI.

Still struggling on cases :(

The q11 looks pretty big still though.

I think this is cute

http://www.dabs.com/products/antec-isk- ... itx&src=16

mykez69

Re: Help me find a case Please!

Post by mykez69 » Wed Dec 28, 2011 1:43 pm

which is smaller between the q08 and q11? i can't really find a difference.

mykez69

Post by mykez69 » Wed Dec 28, 2011 2:07 pm

q11 seems smaller, and campring to this mid atx case im sat in front is pretty tiny!

Think I have made my decision.

mykez69

Post by mykez69 » Wed Dec 28, 2011 3:02 pm

I gave up looking.

I have ordered the q11 in black.

Seasonic x400 fanless

and the i3 2125 CPu.