My Second Quiet PC - Antec Solo Build

Show off your quiet rig.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

offroad

My Second Quiet PC - Antec Solo Build

Post by offroad » Tue Dec 27, 2011 10:37 am

My second quiet PC build, after much info learned from SPCR.

I drilled out the rivets on the Solo case that hold the side brace, and using thread cutting screws have it set up so the PSU can be removed without the MB.
The Nexus 120mm CPU & Exhaust and 92mm Intake fans are all under-volted with a Diode Bus (visible on the back of the PSU) and a two speed switch providing 7.2v low and 9.6v high.
All but the fan speed wire was removed from the Nexus fan motherboard connectors, power is via the molex connectors after the fan bus and monitoring is via Speed Fan.

The Zalman VF1000 is probably overkill for for the Radeon HD 4670 but I found one cheap, its quieter than the stock fan unit at 5v and should easily move to another card later.
Have not tried the Antec suspension HD mounting yet, as the thick silicone mounts make my WD 1TB nearly silent with only slight seek noise being audible.
I'm not sure if I even need the (not shown) Nexus 92mm intake fan, as the WD 500GB drive that's not getting any air from it runs as cool as the 1TB drive that is.

Full details at the bottom, comments welcome.

---------------------------------------------------------------------
Antec Solo Case
Corsair CMPSU-450VX PSU
Nexus DF1209-SL3 Intake / D12SL-12 Exhaust Fans
Gigabyte - 1GB Radeon HD 4670 / Zalman VF1000
Gigabyte GA-MA770T-UD3P Motherboard
AMD Phenom II 550 X4 (All Cores Unlocked @3.4ghz)
Megahalems / Nexus D12SL-12 Heatsink and CPU Fan
WD 1TB and 500GB 7200 rpm Sata Drives
2X GSkill 2GB DDR3 1600 Memory
Asus DRW-24B1ST Sata Burner

Lsv

Re: My Second Quiet PC - Antec Solo Build

Post by Lsv » Tue Dec 27, 2011 8:01 pm

Looks great, what are temps like?

Also what's the foam type you used in between the CDR and HD?

offroad

Post by offroad » Wed Dec 28, 2011 6:29 am

Lsv wrote:Looks great, what are temps like?
Thanks, the two hard drives normally run in the low 90's Fahrenheit, HD Tune shows they have never been above 109F and that was probably on the last build during summer.
Using Prime 95 in torture test mode on all four cores, the CPU maxes out at about 115F but its normally much lower.
With FurMark's burn in test I can get the Radeon 4670 GPU up to 127F with the Zalman cooler on low (5V), probably be about 118F or so on high.
Playing UT 2004 for a few rounds it only gets to about 108F, these all seem pretty good to me.

I can't remember where I got the foam, think it was packing out of a box or something.
It was in my last build (Antec SLK3700AMB) so got moved over to this case, not really sure if it does much but can't hurt.
When my 160gb raptor became too small for a primary drive, I bought the WD 1TB drive (before the HD prices increases) and it was so loud I started looking at new cases.
The thick silicone mounts in the Solo do a nice job of quieting it where the small grommets on the old case didn't do much, probably the suspension mounts would help a bit more.
Last edited by offroad on Wed Dec 28, 2011 7:14 am, edited 2 times in total.

Lsv

Post by Lsv » Wed Dec 28, 2011 6:48 am

offroad wrote:
Lsv wrote:Looks great, what are temps like?
Thanks, the two hard drives normally run in the low 90's Fahrenheit, HD Tune shows they have never been above 109F and that was probably on the last build during summer.
Using Prime 95 in torture test mode on all four cores, the CPU maxes out at about 115F but its normally much lower.
With FurMark's burn in test I can get the Radeon 4670 GPU up to 127F with the Zalman cooler on low (5V), probably be about 118F or so on high.
Playing UT 2004 for a few rounds it only gets to about 108F, these all seem pretty good to me.

I can't remember where I got the foam, think it was packing out of a box or something.
It was in my last build (Antec SLK3700AMB) so got moved over to this case, not really sure if it does much but can't hurt.
When my 160gb raptor became too small for a primary drive, I bought the WD 1TB drive (before the HD prices increases) and it was so loud I started looking at new cases.
The thick silicone mounts in the Solo do a nice job of quieting it where the small grommets on the old case didn't do much, probably the suspension mounts would help a bit more.
Nice, I'm sure it helps with noise leaking out the front. It's a great idea and I think I'll be doing the same thing under my CD drive. I have some spare mineral wool I'll try cutting a cube and surrounding it in foam/duct tape for dust.