Thermal right axp 140 on Asus p8h67 I deluxe

All about them.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

mykez69

Post by mykez69 » Fri Jan 06, 2012 6:34 pm

Hi trying to install Thermal right axp 140 on Asus p8h67 I deluxe motherboard. But the 1155 back plate appears to touch the tiny black squares on the back of the motherboard so the backing plate doesn't sit fully flush.

Is this going to cause a problem with the backing plate touching these small black plastic cube things?

ntavlas

Re: Thermal right axp 140 on Asus p8h67 I deluxe

Post by ntavlas » Fri Jan 06, 2012 7:54 pm

I see a couple of problems with this. First, there is a risk of crushing the capacitors/mosfets, whatever these little squares are. The other issue is that you risk an uneven distribution of forces on the cpu resulting in sub par cooling. One solution would be to hack the backplate otherwise you would be better off trying a different motherboard or cooler. Mind you, most mini itx motherboards do have this issue as there`s simply not enough space to mount all the parts in one side. The Asrock Z68 seems to have the cleanest backside of them all (Newegg has pictures of the backside of each board).

Arbutus

Post by Arbutus » Fri Jan 06, 2012 8:11 pm

mykez69 wrote:Is this going to cause a problem with the backing plate touching these small black plastic cube things?
YES, the backing plate should not be crushing any components. It's bad enough that some heat sinks bend the mainboard excessively and endanger component integrity. Adding spacers to lift the backplate off the mainboard won't work with this model heat sink. You should check out your return options.

Abula

Post by Abula » Fri Jan 06, 2012 9:14 pm

There is a old mounting system for the AXP 140 that might work for you, in case you can find it (but cross check it fits 1155)

mykez69

Post by mykez69 » Sat Jan 07, 2012 2:54 am

Hi. I have those mounting parts in the box. But I think it's for socket 775.

Is there no way to convert it to a push down lock type cooler so it can remove the backing plate

mykez69

Post by mykez69 » Sat Jan 07, 2012 3:08 am

What about 4 washers on each corner of backing plate?

Abula

Post by Abula » Sat Jan 07, 2012 10:53 am

I tried to search for reviews on it to see the plastic thing, but very few only found one pic of the back of your mobos, the only thing that i see is at the bottom of the pic

I had a similar issue when i was building MiniMi, but was very little what touched, so little that the bracket still sat down just it touch it, i gamble with it and still installed it, and working fine, but that was my risk to take, this is up to you, probably best to return it and get another cooler,

There is a 3rd mounting bracket for the AXP 140 thats its only 1156 (same as 1155), im guessing if you are right about the top one being 775, when 1156 was released they also released this mounting bracket so old AXP140 owners could move to 1156, im not sure if its still available, but you can check with your dealer, AXP-140 1156 Bolt-Thru-Kit, from the description on thermalright webpage,
For Socket 1156 motherboards

For Thermalright AXP-140 and COGAGE MST-140. Also compatible with Thermalright Ultra Series, Venomous Series, Silver Arrow, Archon.

The one that came with my 2x HR02 and AXP 140 were, Venomous BTK

In my bracket, you need to set the screws in 2nd slot for it to install on 1155, the 3rd is for 1366, therefore leaving some space on the metal bracket till it finishes, depending on how much you could dremell it if it doesn't compromise the bracket, or use your washers but that will recess it to the inside of the case.... might even touch the back of the mobo (i would be careful with metal washers as it might short something), but maybe plastic washers... But if you can return it i would go that route and get another cooler, for me was not an option, returning it would be even more expensive than the heatsink itself. Or another option would be to return the mobo and go with one that could fit the AXP 140.

mykez69

Post by mykez69 » Sun Jan 08, 2012 3:32 am

Might have a look for different heat sink then one that doesn't use a backing plate. Don't see the point in the backing plate anyway.

I need a heat sink that fits like the intel one that comes with the i3 where there is no backing plate just a push down click into place

Abula

Post by Abula » Sun Jan 08, 2012 7:39 am

mykez69 wrote:Might have a look for different heat sink then one that doesn't use a backing plate. Don't see the point in the backing plate anyway.

I need a heat sink that fits like the intel one that comes with the i3 where there is no backing plate just a push down click into place
The problem is most other custom heatsinks might block the PCIe slot, if you are not planning to use it then it should be fine, check low profile coolers for its mounting mechanism, like Scythe Kozuti, Scythe Big Shuriken, Prolimatech Samuel 17, Coolermaster Gemni SII.

The other option is to dremell the backplate, the farthest holes are for 1366 socket, and its already being discontinued by intel so i doubt it will have any use in the future, as long as you can still mount it as 1155 (the middle holes) it should be fine. It would be great if you could take some pictures the back of the mobo with the backplate positioned to see how much is overlapping, maybe one from the top and one from the side.

If you dont find any coolers that will not block the PCIe slot and you dont want to mod the backplate, then another choice is to change the mobo and go for something that has already been built, for example, check josephclemente's Lian Li PC-Q11B + Suck hole-cooled HD 6850, he built around the ASRock H67M-ITX and he was able to mount fine the AXP 140 on the Q11 and still use a dedicated GPU, send him a PM and ask him if had any trouble mounting the AXP 140.