WD My Passport Essential SE 1TB USB 3.0 External HDD

Want to talk about one of the articles in SPCR? Here's the forum for you.
Lawrence Lee
SPCR Reviewer

WD My Passport Essential SE 1TB USB 3.0 External HDD

Post by Lawrence Lee » Tue Jan 10, 2012 2:52 pm

Gxcad
Patron of SPCR

Re: WD My Passport Essential SE 1TB USB 3.0 External HDD

Post by Gxcad » Tue Jan 10, 2012 9:53 pm

Somewhat dissapointingly, I do believe WD JUST released their newer model of this drive, possibly rendering this review less useful. I'm not sure so don't quote me on this, but I think they now have 500gb platters, so the 1TB model is now just 2 platters. As a result, it is thinner than the model reviewed here and (possibly) quieter. Has this review been on a back burner for a while, or am I totally confused here?

Update: I am totally confused here :?

whispercat

Post by whispercat » Thu Jan 12, 2012 9:24 am

I presume this is a 5400 RPM drive?

mastabog

Post by mastabog » Thu Jan 12, 2012 6:26 pm

No details about the drive inside or the actual model number? I am a bit disappointed by this review too ...

You can read the drive's model in Windows or Linux, which could tell us something about the drive inside. You could update the review with this information. For an external drive, I'm not that keen on transfer rates and certainly not on backup software ...

The most useful info for me in this review is the 19 mm thickness which almost surely means older generation 3 platter drive of 12.5 mm inside ... I'll pass. I'm still waiting for the 1TB, 2 platter, 9mm thick USB 3.0 external drives. These are already out as internal drives. I wish they started using them for usb3 external ones already.