Question about a new custom built PC

New to PC silencing? Read & post your questions here. Dedicated to rosy_toes.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

geauxflying

Question about a new custom built PC

Post by geauxflying » Mon Jan 16, 2012 6:23 pm

Hello folks,

This is my first post here. I've been reading here a bit and find the boards helpful, so thought I'd make an account to post a question. I just had a PC custom built at Directron here in Houston. I had selected components based on the reviews on SPCR and other websites. This is the system:

Case: SilverStone TJ08B-E Micro ATX
MB: Asus Maximum IV Gene-z Z68
CPU: i5-2500K
CPU Cooler: Scythe SCMG-3000 (I think this is commonly referred to as "Mugen 3")
Memory: 2x4 GB Patriot G2 1600 Mhz DDR3
GPU: Asus DirectCU 6850
HDD: 1.5TB WD Caviar Green
Case Fan: Scythe Slip Stream 120mm PWM/VR selectable

So I picked out all the stuff and paid $39 bucks for them to put it all together and install Windows. I figured that was well worth the effort I'd spend building it.

As it turns out, the Scythe fan that came with Mugen 3 cooler is considerably louder than the Scythe case fan, and seems to blow at maximum speed all the time. The fan on the cooler is also parallel to the case fan, and blows inward, while the case fan is an exhaust (so they would seem to counteract each other). So here are my questions:

1. Is it incorrect for the cooler fan to be blowing opposite the case fan even though they are only an inch apart? Seems to make more noise, and less airflow than just removing the case fan.
2. Should the fan on the cooler be blowing at maximum speed constantly? I thought it should be variable?
3. I also bought a front panel USB/memory card reader. They installed it by running the USB cable out of the back of the case, and plugging it in that way, rather than plugging into the motherboard. They did mention that the case is a very tight fit, but it would seem they could find room for one more wire on the motherboard.
4. Would it be okay to replace the fan on the cooler with a Scythe slip stream? Or should I replace it with something else?

I've had great experience with Directron in the past, so I don't really want to beat up on them over minutiae. But, I kind of feel like I should bring the computer back, and tell them to change this stuff, but I'm not sure if that's fair. What do you guys think? If anything is going to get changed, I'm going to bring it to them and have them do it. It's a pretty tight case and my experience with these things is limited.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Arbutus

Re: Question about a new custom built PC

Post by Arbutus » Tue Jan 17, 2012 12:24 pm

geauxflying wrote:1. Is it incorrect for the cooler fan to be blowing opposite the case fan even though they are only an inch apart? Seems to make more noise, and less airflow than just removing the case fan.
This is a totally wrong installation of the CPU cooler fan.
geauxflying wrote:2. Should the fan on the cooler be blowing at maximum speed constantly? I thought it should be variable?
It's normal for the fan to be connected to the CPU PWM fan connector and temperature controlled variable fan speed enabled.
geauxflying wrote:3. I also bought a front panel USB/memory card reader. They installed it by running the USB cable out of the back of the case, and plugging it in that way, rather than plugging into the motherboard. They did mention that the case is a very tight fit, but it would seem they could find room for one more wire on the motherboard.
This is variable depends on the options of the case and main board selections.
geauxflying wrote:4. Would it be okay to replace the fan on the cooler with a Scythe slip stream? Or should I replace it with something else?
The fan that came with your CPU cooler will work great for you when properly installed.
geauxflying wrote:I've had great experience with Directron in the past, so I don't really want to beat up on them over minutiae. But, I kind of feel like I should bring the computer back, and tell them to change this stuff, but I'm not sure if that's fair. What do you guys think?
By the time you go to all the trouble of taking the system back to them you might as well fix it yourself by changing the BIOS setting for fan control, except that the fan needs the blow direction changed. If you don't feel up to doing this yourself then talk to a manager at the shop. Please report back to us publicly about how this goes.

kuzzia
Friend of SPCR

Post by kuzzia » Tue Jan 17, 2012 1:44 pm

Try to install ASUS AI Suite in Windows. It doesn't matter whether it's version 1 or 2. In Ai Suite you should be able to find FanXpert. This is a great application where you can easily control the fan speed/temperature curve.

lhopitalified

Post by lhopitalified » Tue Jan 17, 2012 2:02 pm

Arbutus wrote:
geauxflying wrote:4. Would it be okay to replace the fan on the cooler with a Scythe slip stream? Or should I replace it with something else?
The fan that came with your CPU cooler will work great for you when properly installed.
Unless they swapped out the default fan that comes with the Mugen-3 with something else, I think it should be some type of PWM slip stream:
http://www.scythe-usa.com/product/cpu/1 ... UGEN3.html
Fan-Slip Stream PWM

PWM4-pin fan

Model No.:
SY1225SL12LM-P

Fan Dimensions:
120 x120 x 25 mm

Fan Speed:
300 (±30%) - 1600upm (±10%) - regulated by PWM
Though I guess if they mounted the direction wrong, anything's possible (including swapping a non-PWM case fan for the PWM cooler fan)?

Abula

Post by Abula » Tue Jan 17, 2012 2:54 pm

Its very probable that the fan management is not enable or is diabled in the bios, the Gene Z can contol PWM fans, shouldnt have any issues with the CPU headers (sometimes it has issues with case fan headers), first try it with bios, enter the bios and go to fan control and enable it, from what i remember there are presets try each if niether helps go manual and set your min and max rpms, if this doesnt work either then install Asus AI Suite / Fan Xpert and test it under windows, you can create you own personal graph into how you want the fan to ramp up or down depending on the CPU temperature.

Now the slipstream should be very quiet below 800rpm, virtually inaudible below 500rpm, but you need to test how are your temps under your conditions, higher than 1200rpm becomes loud.

geauxflying

Post by geauxflying » Wed Jan 18, 2012 7:29 pm

Wow, thanks so much for all the help guys. Took the computer back to Directron, and just got it back and running. The guy who they had put it together the first time apparently wasn't very experienced. The more experienced tech there took one look at it, said to come back after lunch and it would be right. He said he rewired the whole case. The fan issue is fixed, and no wire hanging out of the back of the case now, fantastic. Will also toy with Asus AI, that sounds interesting. Curious about the Bios also, will play with it too.

Thanks for confirming I wasn't crazy! I'll be around, love the website and the whole quiet PC concept.

lhopitalified

Post by lhopitalified » Thu Jan 19, 2012 2:54 pm

geauxflying wrote:Wow, thanks so much for all the help guys. Took the computer back to Directron, and just got it back and running. The guy who they had put it together the first time apparently wasn't very experienced. The more experienced tech there took one look at it, said to come back after lunch and it would be right. He said he rewired the whole case. The fan issue is fixed, and no wire hanging out of the back of the case now, fantastic. Will also toy with Asus AI, that sounds interesting. Curious about the Bios also, will play with it too.

Thanks for confirming I wasn't crazy! I'll be around, love the website and the whole quiet PC concept.
awesome! glad that you were able to get that worked out without too much hassle. (though a bit curious why they wouldn't have someone experienced do quick QC on everything from an inexperienced system builder...)