Building htcp with amd a8 3870k. help with cpu cooler please

Cooling Processors quietly

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

mattyc

Building htcp with amd a8 3870k. help with cpu cooler please

Post by mattyc » Sat Jan 14, 2012 10:05 am

Hi, i am building a htcp with a very small case. I will be using a asus mini itx motherboard with limited room and have ordered a amd a8 3870kprocessor. I wont be overclocking or anything and am wondering how the stock heatsink and fan will perform and more importantly, sound. If required i can find £25 to upgrade cooler if neccesary but has to be low profile and very small! Cannot find any info about stock cooler or aftermarket coolers.
Thanks.

mattyc

Re: Building htcp with amd a8 3870k. help with cpu cooler pl

Post by mattyc » Wed Jan 18, 2012 4:54 am

i still cant.find anything. The.cpu is rated at 100 watts or whatever they are rated at and it needs to be less than 7cm high. May just have to keep stock cooler

kuzzia
Friend of SPCR

Post by kuzzia » Wed Jan 18, 2012 7:59 am

Take a look at the Scythe Shuriken or the Scythe Kozuti. If your computer is usually run at idle, then you could consider the budget (10-15 USD) solution Arctic Cooling Alpine.

http://www.silentpcreview.com/scythe-kozuti
http://www.silentpcreview.com/article964-page8.html
http://www.silentpcreview.com/article801-page3.html

mkk

Post by mkk » Wed Jan 18, 2012 8:44 am

I haven't seen the cooler that comes with the precise 3870K model, but the 3850 comes with a underperforming pure aluminium block and a very high speed fan that makes horrible noises above idle. I'm currently using my 3850 with the stock cooler that AMD ships/shipped its Phenoms with, one that at least sports a few heatpipes and it's better. I'm going to try a Samurai ZZ one day but it seems too tall for you. I'd also look towards some Arctic Cooling model. The Scythe Shuriken that I happen to have is a little too wide for my mini-ITX setup and might be so for quite a few I guess. With the slimmer Kozuti model you should have room to put a normal fan on top of instead of using the relatively noisy slim model that comes with the cooler, or experiment with dual fans.

mattyc

Post by mattyc » Wed Jan 18, 2012 12:03 pm

Thanks guys, some good tips and things to look at. Just put it together tonight and it sounds awful! Deffo need to go aftermarket. I dont want to block the pci-e so needs to be no bigger than a 80mm fan. Also thinking arctic cooling may be ok. Should be better than stock!