Under-desk noise reflection?

New to PC silencing? Read & post your questions here. Dedicated to rosy_toes.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Momo

Under-desk noise reflection?

Post by Momo » Thu Jan 19, 2012 6:49 pm

Hey all, longtime lurker here on the forum, swear i registered at some point ...

anyhow, i've got a corsair obsidian 800d, with a radiator (2x120mm) in the top. Fans are cougar cfv12hp in push/pull, and a noctua nh12p alongside them as additional intake.

So... the computer sits under my desk, the underside of which is smooth particleboard/MDF/whatever the stuff is called. 1" thick, really solid.

I'd like to know if putting some 1/2" 'pyramid' foam under there would help cut some of the high frequency noise coming from the top of the system, especially when gaming and the stock HD5850 cooler (reference) spins up to ~%50.

There is ~2.5-3.0" of clearance between the top of the 800d and the bottom of the desk.

The 800d is stock, I've just recently learned that removing the honeycomb metal and using round wire grills can reduce noise significantly, so that's on my list as well. The foam is WAY easier to install though, and i'd put it there even after the case-mod, if indeed it will help.

Thanks folks!

Arbutus

Re: Under-desk noise reflection?

Post by Arbutus » Fri Jan 20, 2012 6:30 am

Momo wrote:The foam is WAY easier to install though, and i'd put it there even after the case-mod, if indeed it will help.
The lighter the weight of the foam the more useless it is. Go to your local home improvement store and look for things like HEAVY FOAM backed carpet tile.
Momo wrote:...the case-mod...
To ensure adequate air flow with the least noise some measure of science is prudent.

Generally you should:
-1- test your system and record the results
-2- make a change
-3- retest and compare the results

These are good tools:

CPUBurn - processor stress software x4 for your quad core CPU
FurMark - to stress the GPU
GPU-Z - to monitor GPU temperature and fan speed
ASUS PC Probe - to monitor CPU temperature and fan speeds

Have fun...

Momo

Post by Momo » Fri Jan 20, 2012 4:12 pm

i'd generally agree with you, but i do beleive that this article has done all the research i need to know that i should have a reduction in 'tone' if not straight DB:

http://www.pugetsystems.com/labs/articl ... -Noise-107

Momo

Post by Momo » Mon Jan 23, 2012 2:43 pm

There seems to be a schwack of different manufacturers of carpet tile.
Looks like i'll have to go to a local 'floor coverings' store. http://pacificcoastfloors.ca/flooring_products.html

Arbutus, have you used carpet tile for a similar situation? Did it help? which product exactly did you use?