OCZ Vertex 2. Reliable yet?

Silencing hard drives, optical drives and other storage devices

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

kuzzia
Friend of SPCR

OCZ Vertex 2. Reliable yet?

Post by kuzzia » Sun Dec 04, 2011 2:59 pm

Hi guys. I am considering to purchase a Vertex 2 since it's among the cheapest SSD's where I live (Denmark)

After the Vertex 2 was released, I recall that it was bugged by some issues. Are those issues solved in current firmware updates?

Thanks in advance.

TheAtl

Re: OCZ Vertex 2. Reliable yet?

Post by TheAtl » Thu Jan 19, 2012 7:14 pm

Min har vist seg å være veldig ustabil. Får opp melding om volumfeil relativt ofte, og noe mindre hyppig, blåskjerm.

Translation: no, it is not reliable yet.

PsychoStreak

Post by PsychoStreak » Sun Jan 22, 2012 8:45 pm

The Vertex 2 line has been reliable for a while now.

I think you may be confusing it with the Vertex 3 line, which had some issues upon release that have only recently been corrected via firmware updates. The most recent firmware seems quite stable - enough so that I've picked up a few for use in my own systems as I continue to phase out regular HD's in all my systems that don't need high storage capacity.

CraigB

Post by CraigB » Sun Jan 22, 2012 9:30 pm

I've had a Vertex 2 and Agility 2 (nearly identical to the Vertex) for several years and both have been reliable and functioned without any problems.

lhopitalified

Post by lhopitalified » Mon Jan 23, 2012 11:24 am

AFAIK, no one is exactly sure what causes the BSOD issues associated with the (newer) sandforce controllers, which has been part of the problem with trying to fix it. I've also read a few isolated comments that people are having issues with the new (Oct 2011) firmware from OCZ, which is why I haven't bothered to update my Vertex 3 (have had only one BSOD since May last year when I built the computer, and it was GPU-related, judging by the crash report log).

Mr Evil

Post by Mr Evil » Mon Jan 23, 2012 12:33 pm

I recently replaced my Vertex 2 because it was having the BSOD problem with S3 sleep. This was supposedly fixed for the Vertex 3, but they haven't managed to fix it for us owners of older drives.

washu

Post by washu » Mon Jan 23, 2012 1:19 pm

I've seen BSODs waking from S3 on both Vertex 2s and Corsair Force drives, both first gen Sandforce. Both had the latest firmware. As long as sleep was not used they ran fine and have been reliable.