fans

Control: management of fans, temp/rpm monitoring via soft/hardware

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

karatedebili

fans

Post by karatedebili » Fri Jan 27, 2012 4:07 am

Hi all, i'm in the process of finishing my new build intended mostly for audio/video editing (with linux software for both tasks). I'm not sure if that's such a good idea at all as audio editing requires a silent machine, but video needs a hot graphic card which while actively cooled will never be silent - or could I get an aftermarket cooler which when not under load, doesn't spin the fans?

Further, my case (Silverstone LC17) can use 3x80mm case fans and 2x92mm intake fans. So far I keep the system cool with a single Noctua 92mm fan and a single Noctua exhaust 80mm fan, the CPU heatsink uses the same Noctua 92mm, all three connect thru the LowNoise adapters and under normal use, non of the components gets warmer then 53˚C (although i still use a passive cooled/fan-less GPU which will be replaced soon, or could I add more powerful one and switch between them at boot?). Now I want to add all other fans to ensure good airflow and am confused about which fans are a better option, the Noctua fans I use don't have PWM control, so if the system would get too hot i would need to remove the LowNoise adapters, and therefor power off the system. I would appreciate to have some kind of a fan controller at the back in one of the PCI slots so i can turn up the fans if needed but have no idea what kind of fans can be controlled this way.

The last thing i want to do is change my PSU as my corsair HX620 seems to be the loudest component of my system, I would like to try the corsair AX850 which keeps the fan switched off until under higher load - would I gain some lower noise with this?

all suggestions are welcome.

karatedebili

Re: fans

Post by karatedebili » Sat Jan 28, 2012 8:16 am

sorry if I didn't formulate my questions correctly, I'm new to the forum.

Anybody any advice please?

thanks

CA_Steve

Post by CA_Steve » Sat Jan 28, 2012 9:26 am

Rather than replacing the PSU, consider doing a fan swap. It's pretty easy to do.

Regarding video editing and needing a new graphics card....what program(s) are you using, and have you looked for benchmarks to determine how much gpu horsepower you need? Some OpenCL programs need a lot/some don't. It can make a big difference on your cooling needs/if you need more fans/controllers, etc.

What's your cpu/mobo?

Is your DAW use in an open mic environment?

ces

Post by ces » Sat Jan 28, 2012 4:24 pm

If you decide to change PSUs, get a Seasonic PSU. See the SPCR PSU ratings.
http://www.silentpcreview.com/Recommended_PSUs

You can get them fully passive, or with a fan that just turns on when you need it. The passive ones and the ones with fans are essentially the same unit, with and without a fan.
Last edited by ces on Sat Jan 28, 2012 4:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ces

Post by ces » Sat Jan 28, 2012 4:27 pm

karatedebili wrote:non of the components gets warmer then 53˚C

Why would you add more fans? It doesn't look like you need them... unless you want extras in the case of unnoticed catastrophic failure.

More fans will only add more noise. If you are going to add fans, the Noctuas are good if you run them slowly. Small 92 and 80 mm fans from Nexus and Noiseblockers are good as well.

karatedebili

Post by karatedebili » Mon Jan 30, 2012 3:52 am

Thanks guys. the Seasonic X-650 looks great too, I'll see for how much I can sell my hx620 to get the seasonic instead, If it wont sell for a good price I'll go with the fan swap recommendend, thanks CA_Steve. My CPU is the i7 2600K on a Asus p8z68 deluxe. well you're probably right with the gpu usage by video editing; as long as I'm still not using Blender for 3d, I guess my passive-cooled videocard should be sufficient. The workstation is placed in a controllroom outsie of the recording room so the noise is not that criticall, but still a silent workstation is something i'm after.
Why would you add more fans? It doesn't look like you need them...
well I was thinking to add one intake and one exhaust fan, the noctua one probably with a ultra-low noise adapter again.. because i think two fans with lownoise adapters are still better then one without an adapter (noise-level-wise), I might be wrong though.. and I still haven't tested the temperatures in the machine under long, havy load..

What are your ideas on accoustic insulation inside the case? and soft mounting of hdd's? Is that as easy as puting some rubber washers/rings between the hdd and the mounting cage? I'm also starting to think about using a Silentmaxx HD Silencer Rev. 2.0 for my 7200rpm hdd as the seek noise of my WD caviar black is soo loud!

CA_Steve

Post by CA_Steve » Mon Jan 30, 2012 7:28 am

Why not take incremental steps? Fix the PSU and HDD, then see what you can hear.

HDD: - seek noise -> Sure, stuff it in a can.
- soft rubber mounts -> if you have vibration you can hear transmitting to the drive cage/case.

Temps and fans: stress the system and see what the temps go to. You can always add another fan or two.

karatedebili

Post by karatedebili » Mon Jan 30, 2012 2:26 pm

Why not take incremental steps? Fix the PSU and HDD, then see what you can hear.
you're right :)

ces

Post by ces » Mon Jan 30, 2012 8:34 pm

karatedebili wrote:because i think two fans with lownoise adapters are still better then one without an adapter (noise-level-wise), I might be wrong though..
You are right.

ces

Post by ces » Mon Jan 30, 2012 8:44 pm

karatedebili wrote:What are your ideas on accoustic insulation inside the case? and soft mounting of hdd's? Is that as easy as puting some rubber washers/rings between the hdd and the mounting cage? I'm also starting to think about using a Silentmaxx HD Silencer Rev. 2.0 for my 7200rpm hdd as the seek noise of my WD caviar black is soo loud!
See:
Preventing Hard Drive Vibration
viewtopic.php?p=539359#p539359
Foam And Sound Absorbing Materials
viewtopic.php?p=539399#p539399

karatedebili

Post by karatedebili » Mon Jun 04, 2012 11:27 pm

hello there again :) for info, I've replaced my PSU with a Seasonic x760 hybrid psu, when not under hevy load, the fans keep turned off. I've covered my hdd with a Silentmaxx HD-Silencer. and I got a new GPU, the Palit GeForce GTX 560 Ti Twin Light Turbo 1 GB which appeared to be the quietest 560 card, without the need of an aftermarket cooler... Now I'd like to ask again - it looks like the card uses a ZEROtherm CoolMaxx 4000, that one uses 2 Power logic fans, 80mm (model PLA08015S12H), and they rpm ranges from 1300 to 2700. these seem to me still noisy, even when spinning at 30% which seems to be the minimum rpm possible for that card. as if I would hear some whining or whisteling, it also varries every 5 minutes, maybe it's been damaged in transport - I've bought it second hand (not a good idea i know, but my budget is limited). Now I'd like to replace the fans with the most quiet ones i can find(any recomendations? the noctua ones I use for my case have a square casing around them, I don't know if I just can remove that and put them under the cooler). Is this as easy as unscrewing the heatpipe, replace fans with similar ones, clean the cooler and reattach it with new cooler pasete back to the videocard? should i worry about the rpm of the new fans? thank you