question to p280 owners

Enclosures and acoustic damping to help quiet them.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Devonavar

TigerUK

question to p280 owners

Post by TigerUK » Wed Feb 01, 2012 4:22 pm

I've got my p280 delivered and sitting in my room.

I bought it with a be quiet silencing mats, i bought a large pack but unfortunately the large pack wasn't enough to cover everything. I only managed to cover the side panels front and half the floor. I know that it;s going to be tricky to install the mats in the ceiling after I mount the pc, so I'm holding off from mounting it until I get my new pack of silencing mats. Though, I should have followed the instructions and started with the innards first. At least that way I could have assembled my pc inside the case, and then pad out the side panels when the next order of mats arrives. Oh well.

One thing that got me thinking

Has antec really cheapened out with the front door foams?
I can't tell how effective these are going to be. my guess is not much because, the front door foam are really thin, only 4mm thick I think. I'm already thinking about replacing them witch some after market foam which have better sound damping properties. Can any p280 owners confirm/deny whether the stock foam are effective or not?.

NachoV

Re: question to p280 owners

Post by NachoV » Wed Mar 07, 2012 3:27 am

I've just received mine and have moved the top fans to the front. I've also blocked the top fan placement with a piece of copopren (acoustic insulator, 40mm thick, 80kg x m3, you have more info in this link (sorry, it's in spanish): http://www.isolplus.es/files/PDF-Fichas ... aredes.pdf) and a piece of thin plywood (4mm) holding it from beneath, and this bolted where the top fans would. I bolted it tight, so the acoustic insulator is compressed about 1 cm.

I don't have any noise measuring device other than a cheap analog sound level meter, useless in this case. However, when I close the front door the perceived noise comes from the back of the case, not the front, so I guess it's not that bad.

It may also be that the back fan (hard mounted and with the case grill so close) is making more noise and covering the noise from the front ones. Just a guess. Anyhow, the case is really open at the back, and it seems to me that it's through there that is leaking all the inside noise.

As the case is so new, I don't feel like cutting the back grill (at least not yet) to check if that improves the noise from the back fan. Regards,

Nacho