AMD A4/A6 FM1 coolers....what is quiet and cheap?

Cooling Processors quietly

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Audiophiliac

AMD A4/A6 FM1 coolers....what is quiet and cheap?

Post by Audiophiliac » Fri Feb 03, 2012 11:53 pm

I have not been around here much since my last build. I suppose that is a good thing? It has been quiet and reliable for 6 years or so. Time for an update.

What are the current "cream of the crop" coolers for the newer socket FM1 AMD CPUs? I think they might use the same mounting as AM3/3+ so compatibility should not be a problem. I just noticed the database of recommended coolers is a little out of date and nothing tested too recently.

I am trying to stick to somewhat of a budget so I do not want to throw $60 or $80 at a cooler. Just something quiet.

Thanks in advance.

kuzzia
Friend of SPCR

Re: AMD A4/A6 FM1 coolers....what is quiet and cheap?

Post by kuzzia » Sat Feb 04, 2012 3:04 am

First, I have some questions

Which CPU do you use?
Do you usually push it much?
Do you care about noise level when you're pushing the CPU?
Which case do you use (how tall can the CPU heatsink be?)

The Scythe Mugen 3 is a decent cooler. Costs Approx 40 US$, has a decent mounting system and GREAT stock fan (can be run at ~300 rpm = practically silent). You can't really go wrong with this cooler. Also the Thermalright HR-02 Macho which has great thermal performance for its price, though I don't know much about its fan. It's also quiet tall (162 mm, more than a Fractal Design Define R3 can take), so that's also a concern.

If you want to spend a bit less money which might be possible if you don't need the thermal performance of the Scythe Mugen 3, then you could consider the Scythe Katana 3. Of course, there are many other heatsinks. I simply prefer the great stock fans from Scythe that can be run virtually silently with good PWM-control

Audiophiliac

Post by Audiophiliac » Sat Feb 04, 2012 11:19 am

A6-3500 3 core is what I am looking at. It will not be pushed hard at all. I will not be overclocking it. I am mainly concerned with fan noise at this point. Case for now is a full ATX Silverstone tower. But I would like to go to a smaller case soon. So a lower profile heatsink might be ideal if I want to reuse it in the new case.

I am using a thermalright 120 on my socket 939 CPU with a Nexus 92mm fan running at 12V. Even with the 2 120mm Nexus case fans AND the PSU fan in the Corsair 520, it is quiet enough I do not notice it unless it is completely silent in the house and I am sitting in the office within 3' of it.

I just remember paying big $$ for that cooler back then and on my previous build as well. Not wanting to go over $40 if I can help it. If I can get away with using one of my existing 92 or 120mm fans, even better. But I will likely replace the case fans anyway.

kuzzia
Friend of SPCR

Post by kuzzia » Sat Feb 04, 2012 11:55 am

Reuse the fans you say? The 92 mm could be used for a Cooler Master Hyper TX3 since its stock fan isn't that good. For low profile heatsinks, perhaps a Scythe Shuriken, for an ultra low heatsink, the Scythe Kozuti. Those solutions are almost as "expensive" as the Scythe Mugen 3, at least where I live. For a budget solution (10-15 USD), you could consider coolers from the Arctic Cooling Alpine series. Ultra cheap, same thermal performance as stock coolers, but way quieter fans. Subjectively silent, I'd say though I haven't experienced them myself. But 500 rpm via PWM-control for a <90 mm fan seems really quiet. The SPCR has also reviewed a number of fans from that serie. I'd probably try the AC Alpine first. If it's not for you then the 10-15 USD will not be a big loss.

mkk

Post by mkk » Sat Feb 04, 2012 12:32 pm

Something like the Scythe Samurai ZZ could be a good alternative, it's an affordable smallish top-down cooler that fits many smaller mATX cases. Even some mini-ITX cases can fit it if not using the optical drive slot that often sits right above the CPU. Easily cools something like the A6-3500 or even the higher Llano models without much overclocking.

(For the record HR-02 Macho does fit in Define R3 cases, its PWM fan doesn't go as low as Scythe fans though)

kuzzia
Friend of SPCR

Post by kuzzia » Sat Feb 04, 2012 2:09 pm

mkk wrote:
(For the record HR-02 Macho does fit in Define R3 cases, its PWM fan doesn't go as low as Scythe fans though)
Interesting. This doesn't correlate with the specs from Fractal Design and Thermalright.
http://www.thermalright.com/products/?act=data&id=178

But in reality, it could easily be possible. I trust your words on that. :)

khaakon

Post by khaakon » Tue Feb 07, 2012 9:39 am

Fractal Design: ~165mm
Specifications, line 8

Thermalright: 162mm
162.05mm to be exact

3mm clearance specwise :wink: