Dissapointed with asus maximus ivgene- z-gen 3 fan support

All about them.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

mattyc

Dissapointed with asus maximus ivgene- z-gen 3 fan support

Post by mattyc » Wed Feb 08, 2012 11:43 pm

Just wanted to share my dissapointment! I overclock but also like silence and convienence so using onboard fan headers is sufficient for me. I did some research and went for this board as it had 5 controllable fans. I am pretty dissapointed however, yes, all 5 fans are controllable and it will control 3 pin fans even on 4 pin headers BUT you can only control 2 speeds independently in speedfan although 3 speeds are detected in speedfan and all 5 fan speeds are shown also. 1 speed controls 2 fans the cpu fans and 1 speed controls the other 3 chassis fans. This is not what i expected and wondering if you guys have this problem also? Its a pretty old and established motherboard but this is the gen 3 version. Wondering if others have the same problem?
I basically wanted and expected 5 independently controllable headers.
Thanks in advance.

lodestar

Re: Dissapointed with asus maximus ivgene- z-gen 3 fan supp

Post by lodestar » Thu Feb 09, 2012 1:11 am

The Asus spec for this board seems fairly clear. There are two groups of controllable fans, the first group includes the CPU and OPT_CPU and the second group three chassis fans. So five controllable fans, but in two groups. I can't see anything from Asus that suggests that each fan is controllable independently. Bearing in mind that up to five PWM fans could be used, the Asus arrangement is something of an advance on using a PWM fan chain and the associated cost of a PWM splitter cable. And the BIOS controls in my opinion are pretty good by any standard, and can be supplemented by Fan Xpert if required.

If you wanted to control an individual PWM fan I suspect it could be done with a Zalman PWM Mate or a PWM resistor cable.

mattyc

Re: Dissapointed with asus maximus ivgene- z-gen 3 fan supp

Post by mattyc » Thu Feb 09, 2012 1:55 am

lodestar wrote:The Asus spec for this board seems fairly clear. There are two groups of controllable fans, the first group includes the CPU and OPT_CPU and the second group three chassis fans. So five controllable fans, but in two groups. I can't see anything from Asus that suggests that each fan is controllable independently. Bearing in mind that up to five PWM fans could be used, the Asus arrangement is something of an advance on using a PWM fan chain and the associated cost of a PWM splitter cable. And the BIOS controls in my opinion are pretty good by any standard, and can be supplemented by Fan Xpert if required.

If you wanted to control an individual PWM fan I suspect it could be done with a Zalman PWM Mate or a PWM resistor cable.
My last motherboard was ALOT cheaper than this motherboard, i had a DFI x58. This had 6 fan headers and 5 were independently controllable. I have always had this with previous motherboards and all my previous asus motherboards had all independent fan control.
I think this is actually abit lame by asus to be honest and a step in the wrong direction compared to the past.