It is currently Fri Aug 29, 2014 3:58 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: Kingwin LZP-1000: Platinum Efficiency at a KiloWatt
PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 9:26 am 
Offline
Site Admin

Joined: Sun Aug 11, 2002 3:26 pm
Posts: 11830
Location: Vancouver, BC, Canada
http://www.silentpcreview.com/Kingwin_LZP-1000_PSU

_________________
Mike Chin,
Editor/Publisher, SPCR
Support SPCR with your donations!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Kingwin LZP-1000: Platinum Efficiency at a KiloWatt
PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 11:07 am 
Offline

Joined: Wed Apr 11, 2007 12:06 pm
Posts: 73
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Impressive.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Kingwin LZP-1000: Platinum Efficiency at a KiloWatt
PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2012 5:01 am 
Offline
*Lifetime Patron*

Joined: Tue Sep 02, 2008 10:16 am
Posts: 49
Location: Australia
I'm really liking these Platinum PSUs. Really looking forward to the day where these can be both small and efficient enough to be used as external bricks while allowing 500W+ :D

Just wondering if it were possible to include more detail when using 230VAC to test the efficiency of PSUs in general?

The main reason for asking is this recent review I read of the Antec EarthWatts Platinum 650W where the efficiency was much less at lower loads on 230VAC compared to 115VAC:

http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/Ante ... num/5.html


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Kingwin LZP-1000: Platinum Efficiency at a KiloWatt
PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2012 6:12 am 
Offline
Site Admin

Joined: Sun Aug 11, 2002 3:26 pm
Posts: 11830
Location: Vancouver, BC, Canada
Kriz wrote:
I'm really liking these Platinum PSUs. Really looking forward to the day where these can be both small and efficient enough to be used as external bricks while allowing 500W+ :D

Yeah, that'd be cool.
Kriz wrote:
Just wondering if it were possible to include more detail when using 230VAC to test the efficiency of PSUs in general?

The main reason for asking is this recent review I read of the Antec EarthWatts Platinum 650W where the efficiency was much less at lower loads on 230VAC compared to 115VAC: http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/Ante ... num/5.html

That's an unusual result, I've never seen anything like it. I have to admit, I've rarely run a full series of load tests at the higher voltage, just a few spot checks, and the rule of thumb (rarely broken) is ~2% lower efficiency at 120VAC. I would be loathe to run such load tests in both input voltages; the time required to do so with my entirely manual test setup nearly doubles. Techpowerup's PSU review has obviously upgraded his test system recently -- it's pretty impressive.

_________________
Mike Chin,
Editor/Publisher, SPCR
Support SPCR with your donations!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Kingwin LZP-1000: Platinum Efficiency at a KiloWatt
PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2012 7:34 am 
Offline
*Lifetime Patron*

Joined: Tue Sep 02, 2008 10:16 am
Posts: 49
Location: Australia
MikeC wrote:
That's an unusual result, I've never seen anything like it. I have to admit, I've rarely run a full series of load tests at the higher voltage, just a few spot checks, and the rule of thumb (rarely broken) is ~2% lower efficiency at 120VAC. I would be loathe to run such load tests in both input voltages; the time required to do so with my entirely manual test setup nearly doubles. Techpowerup's PSU review has obviously upgraded his test system recently -- it's pretty impressive.
Whenever I read a PSU review, I always want to see how efficient it is at the 10-40W DC end as that seems to be where our computers spend most of their time these days.

Would it be possible to just show the results at 20W DC for 115VAC and 230VAC as well as the mid-range test that you do? That would also allow you to see if there are any weird results occuring at low loads when on 230VAC, as well as satisfying my own curiosity as a person in a 230VAC country :D

Just as an aside, I predict this year we will start to see the first no compromise gaming computers being assembled that will idle under 25W AC. This should be achievable right now with a well chosen PSU and motherboard with a HD7950 or HD7970 that switches off their fans and use around 1W when entering ZeroCore Power mode. The next evolution of this would be integrating a special core into the GPU that can do basic 3D effects and video decode while consuming 1W max, like the designs being used in the current tablets from Apple and Samsung, etc. Ah well, I can only dream...


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Kingwin LZP-1000: Platinum Efficiency at a KiloWatt
PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2012 8:07 am 
Offline
Site Admin

Joined: Sun Aug 11, 2002 3:26 pm
Posts: 11830
Location: Vancouver, BC, Canada
Kriz wrote:
Whenever I read a PSU review, I always want to see how efficient it is at the 10-40W DC end as that seems to be where our computers spend most of their time these days.

Would it be possible to just show the results at 20W DC for 115VAC and 230VAC as well as the mid-range test that you do? That would also allow you to see if there are any weird results occuring at low loads when on 230VAC, as well as satisfying my own curiosity as a person in a 230VAC country :D

Yes, that's doable. OK.
Quote:
Just as an aside, I predict this year we will start to see the first no compromise gaming computers being assembled that will idle under 25W AC. This should be achievable right now with a well chosen PSU and motherboard with a HD7950 or HD7970 that switches off their fans and use around 1W when entering ZeroCore Power mode. The next evolution of this would be integrating a special core into the GPU that can do basic 3D effects and video decode while consuming 1W max, like the designs being used in the current tablets from Apple and Samsung, etc. Ah well, I can only dream...

I dunno.... maybe <30W, but I can't see <25W.

The most efficient PSU I measured at 22.5W load (Kingwin LZP550 Platinum) was 77.5% -- it drew 29W AC. If we lower the output, efficiency gets worse quickly. For that PSU to draw <25W AC, the DC output would have to be <18W. Is this feasible now with motherboard, RAM, SSD & 1W video card? Maybe. We're also going to start seeing 80 Plus Titanium PSUs some time this year. 90% eff. at 10% load, 92% at 20% load, 96% at 50% load and 91% at full load. That's only for 230VAC; no Titanium defined for 115VAC. But that probably won't help with <20W load -- you need a <200W rated Platinum for any chance of seeing even a 2W AC power reduction at <20W load (compared to that Kingwin). The lowest power retail Platinum is the 500/550W Kingwins, afaik; Dell has a 350W unit but it's an unsuitable noisy 1U server type.

_________________
Mike Chin,
Editor/Publisher, SPCR
Support SPCR with your donations!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Kingwin LZP-1000: Platinum Efficiency at a KiloWatt
PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2012 9:50 am 
Offline
*Lifetime Patron*

Joined: Tue Sep 02, 2008 10:16 am
Posts: 49
Location: Australia
MikeC wrote:
Yes, that's doable. OK.

That's great to hear :D

MikeC wrote:
I dunno.... maybe <30W, but I can't see <25W.

The most efficient PSU I measured at 22.5W load (Kingwin LZP550 Platinum) was 77.5% -- it drew 29W AC. If we lower the output, efficiency gets worse quickly. For that PSU to draw <25W AC, the DC output would have to be <18W. Is this feasible now with motherboard, RAM, SSD & 1W video card? Maybe. We're also going to start seeing 80 Plus Titanium PSUs some time this year. 90% eff. at 10% load, 92% at 20% load, 96% at 50% load and 91% at full load. That's only for 230VAC; no Titanium defined for 115VAC. But that probably won't help with <20W load -- you need a <200W rated Platinum for any chance of seeing even a 2W AC power reduction at <20W load (compared to that Kingwin). The lowest power retail Platinum is the 500/550W Kingwins, afaik; Dell has a 350W unit but it's an unsuitable noisy 1U server type.

Bring on the Titanium PSUs! It would be interesting to see how close it would be if we were to combine the parts of Vicotnik's i5-2500K system in their sig with a Kingwin LZP550 or STR500 PSU and AMD HD7970. The lowest wattage I've seen is the Antec EarthWatts Platinum 450W that just started arriving in Australia, but if the 650W had issues at low wattage with 230VAC then the 450W is also likely to. Maybe it was just that review unit?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Kingwin LZP-1000: Platinum Efficiency at a KiloWatt
PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2012 5:39 am 
Offline
Moderator

Joined: Mon Dec 09, 2002 7:11 pm
Posts: 7368
Location: Maynard, MA, Eaarth
Great power supply, but way too much for almost any computer, I think. It might work well for a slot car track...

_________________
Sincerely, Neil
http://neilblanchard.blogspot.com/


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 

All times are UTC - 8 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group