Cheap, silent, cool itx case w IGP, pico, optical, 2.5" hd.

Enclosures and acoustic damping to help quiet them.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Devonavar

ist.martin

Cheap, silent, cool itx case w IGP, pico, optical, 2.5" hd.

Post by ist.martin » Tue Feb 14, 2012 2:32 pm

This seems like a basic general purpose, non-gaming system. I am considering an itx build where I can get by with the IGP on the motherboard. All I need to add is a single 2.5" ssd and an optical drive.

I have a history of 0dB systems where the hard drive has overheated, so I'd like this simple system to keep the hard drive cool. I'd also like it to be relatively cheap and inaudible on my desktop.

I'll probably use a DH61AG with it's integrated pico-like power supply. So really, all it needs to do is fit an itx mb with SODIMMs, a single SSD and an optical drive (slim-line is acceptable).

What would you guys choose when silence is a much bigger priority than size?

Thanks.

boost

Re: Cheap, silent, cool itx case w IGP, pico, optical, 2.5"

Post by boost » Wed Feb 15, 2012 1:13 am

I would choose aLian Li Q-07. You can fit a large heatsink in the case. with a dual core CPU fanless should work.
Take a look at the pictures in the review of this board on missingremote, the back has a lot of parts soldered on that could potentially interfere with the backplate of a CPU cooler. Not sure if that is a problem or not. If you can, install a big cooler like the Thermalright HR-02 Macho or Scythe Ninja Mini for passive cooling.