HTPC case with drive slot and space for 4x 3.5" HDDs?

Enclosures and acoustic damping to help quiet them.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Devonavar

Cantello

HTPC case with drive slot and space for 4x 3.5" HDDs?

Post by Cantello » Thu Feb 16, 2012 11:35 pm

I am currently converting my Lian-Li Q08 NAS to a HTPC system. Previously I used the NAS to serve digital media via UPnP to my PS3, but as I really don't use the Playstation as a gaming console anymore, I thought it would be more efficient to just use the PC as an HTPC.

However, as there are still four hard drives in the case, I am looking for a silent, nice-looking case with just a slot for a new BluRay drive.

Similar cases would be the hfx mini metal, various A-Tech cases or the semi-DIY Modushop MD11 (just with a drive bracket instead of a slot). The first two also seem to be excellent for a silent case (although not enough space for HDDs), for the latter, I don't know.

Does anyone know of further examples? I'd like to have a clean look if the case goes into the living room and not two separate devices anymore.

Thanks!

boost

Re: HTPC case with drive slot and space for 4x 3.5" HDDs?

Post by boost » Fri Feb 17, 2012 12:48 am

NAS type cases:
The most silent case has passive heatpipe cooling solutions, but 4 HDDs might be the loudest component:
HFX PowerNAS 5 HDDs in hot swap, one slimline optical drive. The CPU heatpipe cooler is sold seperately. A Pico PSU type set will be another ~100€ (considerably less from the UK). The solution will run you ~400€ (350€).
The Chenbro ES34169 has 4 hot swap bays for HDDs, a card reader and room for one slim optical and one 2.5" drive internally. There are two versions with 120W and 180W passively cooled PSUs.
The CFI A7879 has 4 hot swap bays, a 200w internal PSU, but no room for an optical drive. You can get it for 130€ or £83.
The Fractal Design Array R2 (spcr review) has room for 6 3.5" drives internally, comes with a 300w PSU but has no room for an optical drive, not even front USB ports. It's prone to rattling.
HTPC type cases for 4+ HDDs The Silverstone LC 17 and LC20 along with some others can hold up to 6 HDDs.
Cubes for 4+ HDDs and a stadard PSU
The Lian Li Q25 has hot swap bays, but no rom for an optical drive. The V354 and Xigmatek Gigas have room for micro ATX boards.

Cantello

Post by Cantello » Fri Feb 17, 2012 3:21 am

Thanks for the suggestions, boost!

One thing that I forgot to mention is that the case should be in HTPC form factor. The hfx POwerNAS looks *very* interesting but sadly won't fit into the home theater rack. A PicoPSU is not a problem as the current NAS runs from an 80W PicoPSU and a Zotac H55-ITX mini-ITX board (less than 30W with four HDDs).

Silverstone's Grandia cases also look very nice (especially the GD06) but it lacks the slot for the slot-in drive. Maybe I just have to live with that.

I guess a custom case from Modushop will be the best solution but I am afraid that it will just look nice and not be silent and well-cooled after all.

Any more suggestions maybe?

boost

Post by boost » Fri Feb 17, 2012 4:06 am

A drive bay converter 5.25" to slimline. Aluminum 5.25" converter -> 1 slim optical + 1 3.5" HDD or 2 2.5" HDDs. Simple 5.25" converter -> 2 slim optical converter. Ihve the second one for my slot in drives. Build quality is good, the front is plastic.
You could use the first one in a Lian Li C33 or C60 case for a better look. I doubt these cases match the modu ones for build quality. They state the case is 2mm aluminum and front a solid 1cm aluminum.