Questions about homemade cooler.

Control: management of fans, temp/rpm monitoring via soft/hardware

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

dsh

Questions about homemade cooler.

Post by dsh » Sun Feb 19, 2012 1:57 am

Hi,
I built a cooler for my Asus G60, since it presented high temps during Fall and I was worried about the Summer.
I used two Noiseblocker XK2 I had. To power them I though about USB since it was for a laptop, but that wasn't powerfull enough and never even tried. Then I tried with an external HDD transformer (output 12V and 2A) and it worked just fine. Then I also had an idea to use an old CPU fan controller I wasn't using and voilá. The fans went from +- 500 rpms to 1080 rpm, so this allowed me to control noise and... let's just say that at max speed my mouse hand gets pretty cold.

My first question is (just out of curiosity), since laptops have small air intakes, would it be wise to put the two fans in series (one in front of the other) instead of parallel (side by side)? I'm merely asking because I noticed that as when they are in series the airflow is higher than that of a single one (though they also make more noise as they go up to 1200 rpm). The G60 has many air intakes so I guess parallel works better, but I had a G50 before and it had a sole big intake and I wonder...

My second question is about the way I built the cooler. Do you think there's anything I should do to improve it? (namely the rpms and the fan's lifetime)

I'm posting some pics. I admit it could be better built and there'll be a 2.0 when I have the time. It's not that portable right now, but it can still be packed in my Asus bag.

ces

Re: Questions about homemade cooler.

Post by ces » Sun Feb 19, 2012 10:23 pm

1. About all you can do is feed the air intakes fresh air.

2. On version 2 consider using scythe slipstreams that will run on 5 volts from a USB line.

3. On version 2 consider buying a cheap metal one and modifying that to your needs.

dsh

Re: Questions about homemade cooler.

Post by dsh » Mon Feb 20, 2012 12:36 am

ces wrote:1. About all you can do is feed the air intakes fresh air.

2. On version 2 consider using scythe slipstreams that will run on 5 volts from a USB line.

3. On version 2 consider buying a cheap metal one and modifying that to your needs.
2. I see. But is it possible to feed two 140mm fans with 5V? I think that'll only serve a single 120mm at best. USB isn't that powerful... But I might be wrong, so I'll check into that.

3. Yes, that's my idea :). I have to check a couple stores to see what they have and then I'll start drawing.

EDIT: Thanks :)