quietest fan for veritcal placement (front intake).

Control: management of fans, temp/rpm monitoring via soft/hardware

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

TigerUK

quietest fan for veritcal placement (front intake).

Post by TigerUK » Fri Feb 24, 2012 1:13 pm

I'm going to place the fans deeper into the case, so instead of being in front of the hard drives, they will be place behind the harddrives.

I ask because I've heard that having obstructions before or after the fans can affect it's performance drastically. In this case there will be obstructions before.

flemeister

Re: quietest fan for veritcal placement (front intake).

Post by flemeister » Fri Feb 24, 2012 3:54 pm

Scythe Slipstream 120mm 800RPM fan set to ~400RPM (5v). Extremely smooth sounding and without imperfections. Even a quiet 5400RPM hard drive suspended with elastic would be more noticeable. :)

TigerUK

Post by TigerUK » Fri Feb 24, 2012 6:17 pm

thanks for the speedy response

Just looked these up, their odd shape isn't going to fit inside my case, it's for the front intake so it has to be conventional square shape.

I can get these used for half price from another member on a different board that I'm a member of.

http://www.quietpc.com/gb-en-gbp/produc ... t-120-1450

Would these be Ok for my purposes?

flemeister

Post by flemeister » Fri Feb 24, 2012 6:46 pm

They are the normal square shape: http://www.scythe-usa.com/product/acc/0 ... etail.html

Perhaps you were thinking of the 140mm version?

The Scythe GT has an odd tonal noise, similar to how Noctua fans make a noise like an airplane flying overhead (not the same noise as the GT, but the effect is the same - it's noticeable, enough to make it just a very quiet fan, rather than a near silent fan). You may or may not notice it, but I'd stick with the Slipstream (or a Nexus 120 @ 5v).

ces

Post by ces » Fri Feb 24, 2012 8:14 pm

TigerUK wrote:II ask because I've heard that having obstructions before or after the fans can affect it's performance drastically. In this case there will be obstructions before.
The hard drives don't need a lot of air current... and the slower the current, the lesser the effect that obstructions will have on them. I don't think you have anything to worry about.

TigerUK

Post by TigerUK » Fri Feb 24, 2012 10:14 pm

ces wrote:
TigerUK wrote:II ask because I've heard that having obstructions before or after the fans can affect it's performance drastically. In this case there will be obstructions before.
The hard drives don't need a lot of air current... and the slower the current, the lesser the effect that obstructions will have on them. I don't think you have anything to worry about.
the air isn't for the hard drives, I'd happly run hard drives without any air at all. The air is to feed the GPU and generally keep the case temps down. (it's the only intake avenue I have on my p280 case). Without the intake fans, the GPU fans are always groaning because they're spinning up fast even without running games.

flemeister

Post by flemeister » Sat Feb 25, 2012 12:14 am

TigerUK wrote:the air isn't for the hard drives, I'd happly run hard drives without any air at all. The air is to feed the GPU and generally keep the case temps down. (it's the only intake avenue I have on my p280 case).
Ah a P280. I used 800RPM Slipstreams in that case, to feed a fanless HD6850. Worked great, and the hard-ish mounted (still not as good as suspension) Caviar Green drives were more noticeable by far. :)

Photo

Hell, even after I rigged up a suspension mount, the Slipstreams @ 400RPM were still quieter.

Photo
TigerUK wrote:Without the intake fans, the GPU fans are always groaning because they're spinning up fast even without running games.
Could be due to youtube videos or movies triggering GPU acceleration and warming it up? Also, have a play with the fan speed curve using MSI Afterburner (or a similar program) if you haven't already.

TigerUK

Post by TigerUK » Tue Feb 28, 2012 12:00 pm

flemeister wrote: Photo
TigerUK wrote:Without the intake fans, the GPU fans are always groaning because they're spinning up fast even without running games.
Could be due to youtube videos or movies triggering GPU acceleration and warming it up? Also, have a play with the fan speed curve using MSI Afterburner (or a similar program) if you haven't already.
It's a hd4870, it runs very hot. Since I put the front intake fans in the GPU stopped making noise, but the fans I have right now are stock from antec0280 and they're abit noisy.

I didn't get antec quiet fans with yellow corners like shown on the youtube prerelease video. I got the two speed generic looking ones. Which are quite noisy.

Btw I just ordered the scythe fans, they were surprisingly cheap. being Japanese and such a high level brand, I would have expected them to be more dear to be honest Will see how it goes.