Thoughts on why my Scythe pwm fan is clicking?

Control: management of fans, temp/rpm monitoring via soft/hardware

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

DougS

Thoughts on why my Scythe pwm fan is clicking?

Post by DougS » Mon Feb 27, 2012 11:55 am

Title says it all. Scythe pwm fan(SY1225SL12LM-P), Thermalright Ultra-120 eXtreme Rev.C heatsink, Gigabyte Z68X-UD3H-B3 motherboard. I'm using the plastic fan shroud atm, ordered the metal fan clips to see if that makes any difference.

Anyway, I ordered a second Scythe after the first one exhibited clicking noises, second one has the exact same issue. Is this just the luck of the draw (quality control)? Can the "pwm" nature of the connection lend itself to this issue? Sigh...

Thanks in advance,

Doug

Vicotnik
*Lifetime Patron*

Re: Thoughts on why my Scythe pwm fan is clicking?

Post by Vicotnik » Mon Feb 27, 2012 11:59 am

I have one Scythe pwm fan that clicks, one that does not. I think it's just luck if one gets one that doesn't have any annoying bearing sound. In my experience it's the same with most type of fans, not just Scythe and not just pwm fans.

kuzzia
Friend of SPCR

Post by kuzzia » Mon Feb 27, 2012 1:02 pm

I also own a number of Scythe fans with ticking issues, though I run them at such a low speed that the ticking becomes inaudible.

DougS

Post by DougS » Tue Feb 28, 2012 10:06 am

Good to hear its not just me (I guess?). Rather it wasn't anyone.

Maybe third time will be the charm.

On an unrelated note, I ordered 2 Truequiet 120mm's to fill the front fan mounts (rear mount has one already in the Antec Solo II). Very impressed thus far, build quality appears excellent and smooth as silk at either 500 or 1000rpm with the built in switch. $8 or so at us.ncix.com with free shipping if you order > $50 I think. $12-13 at Newegg.