Noctua NH-U12P-SE only use one fan for heatsink ok?

Control: management of fans, temp/rpm monitoring via soft/hardware

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

lessbluez

Noctua NH-U12P-SE only use one fan for heatsink ok?

Post by lessbluez » Sun Mar 04, 2012 12:51 am

I have an Abit IP35 Pro and a Q9550 quad core processor in an Antec Solo case. I'd like to get my PC quieter, the Arctic Cooling heatsink in there is old and the fan is making some noise.

I was thinking of purchasing the Noctua NH-U12P-SE which comes with two NF-P12 fans. Use only one fan for the heatsink and the other for the case exhaust. I would setup the heatsink like my current Arctic Cooler, with the fan in a push state, sending the warm air to the rear exhaust fan.

I don't game or overclock my Q9550 and generally don't have problems with temps. I run a passive Radeon 5450 video card but I do have four hard drives in there.

I was wondering about the PWM of the Noctua's and this is stated in the Abit IP35 Pro manual:
Either a 3-pin or 4-pin CPU cooling fan connected to the “CPUFAN1” connector is still capable of having its fan speed controlled. Please refer to the BIOS setup route: “PC Health Status” -> “ABIT FanEQ Control” -> “CPU FAN Type” to select the one of your own.

If there is another more affordable suggestion for the Q9550 and a rear exhaust fan I am definitely all ears.

ces

Re: Noctua NH-U12P-SE only use one fan for heatsink ok?

Post by ces » Sun Mar 04, 2012 1:13 am

Here is the performance of the older version of this heat sink that came only with a single fan:
http://www.frostytech.com/articleview.c ... 199&page=5

I don't think you have anything to worry about.

lessbluez

Re: Noctua NH-U12P-SE only use one fan for heatsink ok?

Post by lessbluez » Sun Mar 04, 2012 12:40 pm

ces, thank you for that link. going to order one now.