[Automatic] and effective fan for CPU cooling?

Cooling Processors quietly

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

SnowJim

[Automatic] and effective fan for CPU cooling?

Post by SnowJim » Wed Feb 15, 2012 5:43 am

Hi,

I have a Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus on a i7 in a Fractal Design R3 chassi. The fan noise is way to heigh even on non-load, it is much higher then the last build I had with Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro rev.2 on Intel Q6600 in a Antec Sonata 2 chassi.

The question is if I only need to change the fan on my Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus? And if so, witch fan?

One sugestions would be a Scythe Gentle Typhoon 120mm - 1450 RPM but thay do not set the proper rpm dynamic, instead the rpm is fixed and this feels really like a old solution. The motherboard knows the degrees on the CPU and should be able to set the correct rpm on the fan.

The motherboard I got is : Asus P8Z68-V PRO GEN3

mkk

Re: [Automatic] and effective fan for CPU cooling?

Post by mkk » Wed Feb 15, 2012 7:45 am

Check the temperatures. Perhaps the motherboard simply isn't regulating the CPU fan well enough.

kuzzia
Friend of SPCR

Post by kuzzia » Wed Feb 15, 2012 10:51 am

You could also consider using the FanXPert (Windows application) to control the fan. It can be found in the ASUS AI Suite.

rseiler

Post by rseiler » Tue Mar 06, 2012 12:08 am

Did anything become of this? Is there a quieter, variable fan? In an Antec Three Hundred, it's loud enough that I can hear the annoying variation in speed whenever there's the slightest CPU activity. I don't know why it has to react so quickly, but it does.

ces

Post by ces » Tue Mar 06, 2012 12:16 am

rseiler wrote:Did anything become of this? Is there a quieter, variable fan? In an Antec Three Hundred, it's loud enough that I can hear the annoying variation in speed whenever there's the slightest CPU activity. I don't know why it has to react so quickly, but it does.
rseiler wrote:Is there a quieter, variable fan?
A fixed speed Nexus undervolted to about 800 rpm will be quiet and do a good job of moving air.

PWM fans seem to be louder than non-PWM fans and some people are annoyed, like you, about speed variation. I don't think SPCR has ever identified a PWM fan as good as a non-pwm fan. Maybe this will change, Mike tells me that SPCR is about to publish a new set of fan tests.

One hopeful sign is the Noctua has just started to sell a new line of PWM fans. I'm sort of hoping that these might end up being good PWM fans.

rseiler

Post by rseiler » Thu Mar 08, 2012 12:09 am

Sounds like a plan. So you're thinking of something like the Nexus BASIC D12SL-12 with a Zalman Fanmate 2 (or whatever's appropriate)?

ces

Post by ces » Thu Mar 08, 2012 12:13 am

rseiler wrote:Sounds like a plan. So you're thinking of something like the Nexus BASIC D12SL-12 with a Zalman Fanmate 2 (or whatever's appropriate)?
A Nexus at 700 or 800 rpm it's going to be basically silent.... most people will not hear it.

rseiler

Post by rseiler » Thu Mar 08, 2012 12:29 am

No doubt, but their fixed-speed fans, like that one, bottom out at 1000rpm (18 dBA) by default, which is why I mentioned the Zalman as one potential way of dropping it a bit.

Interestingly, I see that the CM212+ is supposedly 13dBA at its minimum of 600RPM (mine's typically 700RPM), so I'm not sure why I hear it varying speeds, but I do.