Lian-li PC-C50 with FUll ATX, Flex-ATX PSU w/ plate, possibl

Enclosures and acoustic damping to help quiet them.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Devonavar

Blood
Friend of SPCR

Lian-li PC-C50 with FUll ATX, Flex-ATX PSU w/ plate, possibl

Post by Blood » Fri Mar 16, 2012 1:13 am

Anyone where has experience or idea whether it would be possible to fit a full atx mobo in a shallow depth made for micro-atx case like the Lian-li PC-C50 http://www.lian-li.com/v2/en/product/pr ... =68&g=spec or silverstone gd05 http://www.silverstonetek.com/product.php?pid=241&area= while using a SFX psu like the ST45SF http://www.silverstonetek.com/product.p ... 53&area=en with included adapter?

The PSU would face upso intake is not partially be blocked by the mobo (if the mobo has enough space to actually fit underneath it?

Or anyone has any experience asking a shop to make a custom metal PSU mounting plate?

Thanks.

boost

Re: Lian-li PC-C50 with FUll ATX, Flex-ATX PSU w/ plate, pos

Post by boost » Fri Mar 16, 2012 2:37 am

The first thing that popped into my mind was: Why? What advatage or feature is there on a full ATX board that cannot be found on a mATX board?
Looking at the adapter that comes with the Silverstone unit I think it won't work or at least it's very tight.
If you replace the PSU bracket of the Lian Li case with a custom one, there's a good chance it will fit.

The Silverstone PSU is not the best unit out there. If you do make a custom bracket (or have one made for you), you should take a look at the Silverstone SS-350TGM. When you put it on it's side with the fan ponting towards the mainboard, it's as tall as standard ATX PSU, but only 63.5mm wide, compared to 150mm for a ATX unit. That leaves plenty of room for the mainboard. I think the Seasonic 350W unit won't deliver significantly less power than the Silverstone (FSP sourced) 450W unit.
If you list your planned components you could get an estimate for power draw. If you already have them, you could use a kill-a-watt and check yourself.

Blood
Friend of SPCR

Post by Blood » Sat Mar 17, 2012 12:40 am

boost wrote:The first thing that popped into my mind was: Why?
No real advantage at all, even a mini-itx would do (using HD HomeRun for cable duty, which takes up no card slot).

I am planning on retiring a few old core 2 systems (Core 2 e4500 to q9550) with full atx motherboards and trying to find away to re-use them. Had a Silverstone Lascala system in the past, but that along with any full atx HTPC case I can find are too deep to comfortably fit in a console. So i am considering trying to fit a full atx in those micro-atx cases.

As for power draw, I expect somewhere around 150-200W, which is just a bit too high to comfortably use a pic-PSU with, or else that would've been quite an ideal situation. TFX PSUs would be better, but I don't see any off the shelf ATX -> TFX adapter plates.

Do you know a good metal shop that might take orders online? I live in a city apartment now and don't have regular access to good tools and bench.
Last edited by Blood on Tue Jul 03, 2012 4:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

boost

Post by boost » Thu Mar 22, 2012 1:37 am

There's an online solution:
Front panel designer you can download it for free, design the panel and it will show you the cost, and you can order it through the tool. The panel itself should not be too expensive, but shipping might be.

Blood
Friend of SPCR

Post by Blood » Sun Apr 01, 2012 11:42 pm

Thanks. Will check it out.