It is currently Thu Apr 24, 2014 10:12 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 21 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: Best noise-canceling headphones?
PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 2:45 am 
Offline

Joined: Mon Mar 05, 2012 1:00 pm
Posts: 182
What would be the best noise-canceling, comfortable, great sound headphones with a mic?

After doing some research I have come to the conclusion that these might be the ones to have all of those 4 qualities for that acceptable price range.
Am I right?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Best noise-canceling headphones?
PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 4:15 am 
Offline

Joined: Mon Mar 05, 2012 1:00 pm
Posts: 182
Well, I hope I will get at least one response within a week.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Best noise-canceling headphones?
PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 5:14 am 
Offline

Joined: Wed Feb 04, 2004 2:12 am
Posts: 2831
Location: USA
Mettyx wrote:
What would be the best noise-canceling, comfortable, great sound headphones with a mic?

After doing some research I have come to the conclusion that these might be the ones to have all of those 4 qualities for that acceptable price range.
Am I right?

First you say you want the "best noise-canceling, comfortable, great sound headphones with a mic," then only later do you add that it should have an acceptable price range. What is an acceptable price range?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Best noise-canceling headphones?
PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 7:07 am 
Offline
Site Admin

Joined: Sun Aug 11, 2002 3:26 pm
Posts: 11789
Location: Vancouver, BC, Canada
Not a good query, I agree, m0002a.

To Mettyx: Your language/tone is completely uncalled for :? -- consider this a first moderator warning. You will be tossed out of here if a second warning is called for. Apologize & change your post!

What research? Your link is only a catalog listing. My impression of Plantronics is that they make headsets mostly for communication, not music, and I don't recall they ever made anything really outstanding. They might sound great for voice but compressed and constricted for music. You have to be clear on what the priorities & applications are. As it stands, your query is too unfocused for anyone to bother responding to.

_________________
Mike Chin,
Editor/Publisher, SPCR
Support SPCR with your donations!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Best noise-canceling headphones?
PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 9:09 am 
Offline

Joined: Mon Mar 05, 2012 1:00 pm
Posts: 182
I would have picked one of the Sennheiser models of course, but bizarrely, none of the Sennheiser headphones have a mic so they are out of the consideration.

I've found so many headphones that are really good but don't have mic, it is a real problem to find.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Best noise-canceling headphones?
PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 11:43 am 
Offline

Joined: Fri Jan 20, 2006 10:12 am
Posts: 545
Location: UK
Mettyx wrote:
...none of the Sennheiser headphones have a mic...

They do lots and lots of noise cancelling heaphones with mics.

_________________
https://mrevil.asvachin.eu/


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Best noise-canceling headphones?
PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 11:57 am 
Offline

Joined: Mon Mar 05, 2012 1:00 pm
Posts: 182
Mr Evil wrote:
Mettyx wrote:
...none of the Sennheiser headphones have a mic...

They do lots and lots of noise cancelling heaphones with mics.


When you have foamy ear ridges they are not closed and not very good at noise canceling, they are even called "open ear" based on this very property.

Only leathery ear ridges provide what is called "closed ear" headphones, or "circumaural".

The "noise canceling" was referring to microphone not the earphones.

Also the cheapest one is 100% more expensive.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Best noise-canceling headphones?
PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 3:20 pm 
Offline
Friend of SPCR

Joined: Wed Nov 19, 2003 9:55 am
Posts: 364
Location: Western Mass.
A noise-cancelling headphone with a mic sounds like an oxymoron. Because the sound of your voice would be part of the external sound that the noise-cancelling circuitry cancels. You would talk louder to get the accustomed auditory feedback, and the circuitry would cancel more sound the louder you talked. You'd create a paradox that might blow all your equipment to bits, and maybe even destroy the entire universe. :lol:

Even if the mic fed back to the headset you still wouldn't hear how loud you were talking.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Best noise-canceling headphones?
PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 6:53 pm 
Offline

Joined: Thu Feb 04, 2010 6:06 pm
Posts: 3395
Location: US
Reachable wrote:
A noise-cancelling headphone with a mic sounds like an oxymoron.
There are lots of blue tooth sets for cell phones that have noise cancelling.

_________________
= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =
"Aristotle calls man the rational animal. All my life I have been seeking evidence to confirm this" Bertrand Russell
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former" Albert Einstein


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Best noise-canceling headphones?
PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2012 3:23 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon Mar 05, 2012 1:00 pm
Posts: 182
So, no one on this forum has ever had any kind of closed ear headphones and has never thought about anything like this?

I'm getting a really weird vibe from this forum ever since I joined.
I can't decide yet is it because it's a ghost town or is it because people are lazy snobs who view people who ask questions on an internet forum as unworthy peasants..


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Best noise-canceling headphones?
PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2012 4:03 pm 
Offline

Joined: Thu Feb 04, 2010 6:06 pm
Posts: 3395
Location: US
Mettyx wrote:
I'm getting a really weird vibe from this forum ever since I joined. I can't decide yet is it because it's a ghost town or is it because people are lazy snobs who view people who ask questions on an internet forum as unworthy peasants..
I think it is as simple as it is a subject that isn't attracting that much interest.

I wouldn't read too much into it. I don't know what happened with m0002a. I would just disregard him. Here is how you can do that:
viewtopic.php?p=556502#p556502

I think if you have a concrete problem that people can help you with, you will find that people around here will help... and it will be high quality thoughtful help.

_________________
= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =
"Aristotle calls man the rational animal. All my life I have been seeking evidence to confirm this" Bertrand Russell
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former" Albert Einstein


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Best noise-canceling headphones?
PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 12:20 am 
Offline

Joined: Tue Sep 07, 2004 11:03 am
Posts: 1128
Location: Europe
Mettyx wrote:
So, no one on this forum has ever had any kind of closed ear headphones and has never thought about anything like this?

I'm getting a really weird vibe from this forum ever since I joined.
I can't decide yet is it because it's a ghost town or is it because people are lazy snobs who view people who ask questions on an internet forum as unworthy peasants..


I think that if you restate your question in a more specific way you will get better answers, because right now it is not so clear what kind of headphones you are looking for.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Best noise-canceling headphones?
PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 12:58 am 
Offline

Joined: Wed Feb 04, 2004 2:12 am
Posts: 2831
Location: USA
Mettyx wrote:
I can't decide yet is it because it's a ghost town or is it because people are lazy snobs who view people who ask questions on an internet forum as unworthy peasants..

Seriously? Are those the only two choices?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Best noise-canceling headphones?
PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 5:14 am 
Offline
Friend of SPCR

Joined: Tue Jul 08, 2008 4:53 am
Posts: 1310
Location: CT
I have a pair of noise cancelling Seenheiser but they are the "open" kind and don't have a microphone. They work very well though (used when traveling on airplanes or trains).
I saw a mod somewhere where someone bought a pair of open ear headphones, a nice set of closed ear noise reduction ear protectors (the king used for construction or for operating noisy machines), and modded them to insert the open ear set into the closed ear set. He/she added a coat of paint on it (pick you favorite color) and voila ! This also might be the cheapest way to do what you are asking (adding the mic shouldn't be hard).
Something like this : http://www.online-tech-tips.com/cool-we ... the-cheap/

Also, I found this : http://www.sennheiserusa.com/PC-stereo- ... set_504121
quotre : "Aggressive noise blocking design"

Mettyx wrote:
I'm getting a really weird vibe from this forum ever since I joined.
I can't decide yet is it because it's a ghost town or is it because people are lazy snobs who view people who ask questions on an internet forum as unworthy peasants..

When you ask for advice, you don't insult the people you're asking advice to ;)

_________________
Main/gamming : Antec Solo|X-650|Asus P5Q-E|Intel Q9550@3.4GHz|HR-01 Plus 120mm Nexus @6V|Corsair 2x2Go XMS2 DHX cas 4 @4-4-4-12|Exhaust Nexus 120mm @9V|Intel X25M G2 160Gb|Samsung 1TB in SQD|2xGigabyte GTS450 OC (@900/1900/3800)|GPU fan 120mm Nexus @6V
HTPC/folder/Storage : Silverstone|E5300 with Samurai-Z|2Go RAM|GTX460@800|2x1To WD EARS|Intel X25M G2 80Go

Fold with SPCR


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Best noise-canceling headphones?
PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 7:42 am 
Offline

Joined: Tue Nov 20, 2012 1:03 pm
Posts: 6
I got a pair of Nokia in-ear, passive and active noise cancelling, APT-X (requires APT-X in the pc, which is included in Apple's units), with microphone for talking. It's got NFC as well. Don't know if it'll fit your usage scenario.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Best noise-canceling headphones?
PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2013 4:32 am 
Offline

Joined: Wed Apr 06, 2005 9:44 am
Posts: 164
Location: Europe
The best and cheapest noise-cancelling headphones are the closed ones. They dont cancel external sound, but the closed back isolates from it. If you want a couple suggestions:

http://www.amazon.com/Superlux-HD-662-Closed-Studio-Headphones/dp/B007IV7OBM/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1373027437&sr=8-1&keywords=superlux+662

http://www.amazon.com/Superlux-HD661-Closed-Back-Professional-Detachable/dp/B0062OOFAY/ref=sr_1_fkmr1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1373027437&sr=8-2-fkmr1&keywords=superlux+662


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Best noise-canceling headphones?
PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2013 3:36 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sun Dec 12, 2010 5:17 pm
Posts: 32
Location: Grenoble, France
Mettyx wrote:
So, no one on this forum has ever had any kind of closed ear headphones and has never thought about anything like this?

I do have some very good closed headphones. But they aren't noise-cancelling (only passively isolated), and, as I only use them for listening to music, I don't need a mic (they do have one, but I haven't tested it). So why, exactly, do you think I could contribute something to your request just because I've "ever had any kind of closed ear headphones" ?

Mettyx wrote:
I'm getting a really weird vibe from this forum ever since I joined.
I can't decide yet is it because it's a ghost town or is it because people are lazy snobs who view people who ask questions on an internet forum as unworthy peasants..

Seriously, there's no need to be rude just because no one here happens to have the answer you're looking for. SPCR, as the name implies, is primarily about computer hardware, not about headphones. Maybe there are some headphones connoisseurs here, and then again, maybe not. Why, exactly, do you expect to necessarily get a lot of answers to your headphones-related questions here?

Edit: Also, don't expect to get meaningful advice about headphones (or anything, really) without giving enough information. People cannot guess what's in your head if you don't tell them. What's your typical usage scenario like? What sort of sound do you like? How much money are you willing to spend? Etc.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Best noise-canceling headphones?
PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2013 11:05 pm 
Offline
Moderator

Joined: Mon Dec 09, 2002 7:11 pm
Posts: 7335
Location: Maynard, MA, Eaarth
I just bought a Logitech USB headset that has good sound quality, "leatherette" pads and a very decent noise canceling microphone.

http://www.logitech.com/en-us/product/stereo-headset-h390?crid=36

It is confusing terminology: noise canceling often refers to the headphones (like Bose) that cancel out constant background noise so you can't hear it, and thereby let you hear the headphones themselves better.

_________________
Sincerely, Neil
http://neilblanchard.blogspot.com/


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Best noise-canceling headphones?
PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2013 9:21 am 
Offline

Joined: Fri Apr 12, 2013 12:24 pm
Posts: 5
Noise cancelling is a good concept but in reality, it doesn't work. Most of these headphones are equipped an inaccurate microphone to pickup the ambient noise which does more harm than good. I recommend getting a closed back monitoring headphone if you need a really good isolation. Beyerdynamic DT 770 M is a good choice, it's commonly used for tracking vocals and loud instruments (like drums).


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Best noise-canceling headphones?
PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2013 3:33 pm 
Offline
Friend of SPCR

Joined: Wed Nov 19, 2003 9:55 am
Posts: 364
Location: Western Mass.
tjlee87 wrote:
Noise cancelling is a good concept but in reality, it doesn't work. Most of these headphones are equipped an inaccurate microphone to pickup the ambient noise which does more harm than good. I recommend getting a closed back monitoring headphone if you need a really good isolation. Beyerdynamic DT 770 M is a good choice, it's commonly used for tracking vocals and loud instruments (like drums).

I have a set of Bose QC15 noise-cancelling headphones and they work wonderfully. They take out the low end far better than any barrier or isolation method. On higher frequencies they aren't as good, but they're still an improvement and certainly don't do more harm than good.

Again, neither the Beyerdynamic nor the Bose would be what the OP was looking for. He was looking for headphones with a noise-cancelling microphone.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Best noise-canceling headphones?
PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 12:25 am 
Offline

Joined: Sun Sep 06, 2009 1:27 am
Posts: 28
Location: Borlänge, Sweden
Bose also makes aviation headsets with noise canceling and they incorporate a microphone.
Amazon search


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 21 posts ] 

All times are UTC - 8 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group