It is currently Sun Aug 31, 2014 11:51 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Formatting 3TB drive
PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2012 12:59 am 

So this isn't really about silent computing, got that under my belt already, but rather trying to work a new 3TB drive I just bought. Its a Seagate 3TB Barracuda.

Blame it on not researching before I bought in, but I am having problems trying to get the drive to format right now. I'm using it with a Thermaltake BlackX external dock and its only reading 768GB (or so).

I've done my research about this and read up on UEFI, updating Intel RST, downloading the Seagate DiscWizard. Haven't gotten anything to work yet.

Only thing I haven't tried is connecting the drive into the system and giving it a go. Can't coax out that extra 2TB no matter what I tried so far.

A64 3200+ Winchester @ 2.4Ghz, ASUS A8V-E SE, ASUS EN8800GS w/ Accelero S1, 2x 512MB Corsair XMS Pro Dual Channel, Samsung T166 500GB, NEC 3550A DVD RW, Scythe Andy Samurai(passive), Aspire/Turbo case X-Dreamer II w/ modded Seasonic Super Tornado 300W

Post subject: Re: Formatting 3TB drive
PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2012 4:35 am 

I had exactly the same problem. You must convert the disk to GPT. Right click on your desktop computer icon and click on manage. Go to disk management and right click on your new disk in the left column; Choose "convert to GPT" and the entire disk should be recognized. HTH

Post subject: Re: Formatting 3TB drive
PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2012 6:36 am 

EvoFire wrote:
I'm using it with a Thermaltake BlackX external dock and its only reading 768GB (or so).

I would suggest trying it directly connected to SATA port to rule out hardware issue - that is the SATA to USB inside the external dock.