Scythe Kozuti Low Profile CPU Heatsink

Want to talk about one of the articles in SPCR? Here's the forum for you.
PsychoStreak

Re: Scythe Kozuti Low Profile CPU Heatsink

Post by PsychoStreak » Sun Feb 05, 2012 11:54 pm

After confirming the Big Shuriken woudn't fit in a Coolermaster Elite 100 on an AM3 board, I picked up one of these since it would easily fit, height wise.

Two issues I found with the HSF, one minor and more of an annoyance, but the other kind of a deal killer for what I wanted it for.

First, their seems to be wax or some similar substance either on the screws or in the holes on the base where you attach the mounting brackets. It's pretty hard and I had to use a sacrificial screw to shove it out. It doesn't block the holes, but it's in the threads and made it nearly impossible to get the regular screws in without head stripping pressure. It's possible a little heat would soften whatever it was up so that it wouldn't be a problem, but that shouldn't be necessary.

The second, and more problematic issue was that it didn't fit the M4A88T-I Deluxe I wanted to use it on. In either orientation it hits the chipset heatsink, which is about a quarter of an inch too wide to allow it to fit. it's a near thing with the RAM as well and makes using SODIMMS with finned heat spreaders impossible. I just have plain ones, but it was still a tight fit.

As it is, I'll now likely look for a mini ITX H67 board with a low chipset HS, and pair it with a 35W i3 or something.
It's disappointing, as it would have let me use that combo mounted to an LCD for a machine I didn't need to run a ethernet cable to, or use a USB WiFi adapter on.

ces

Post by ces » Mon Feb 06, 2012 5:52 am

babgvant wrote:
MikeC wrote:
babgvant wrote:If the case has vents above the HSF it could make a decent difference.
But this means either the intake will be improved or the exhaust will be improved (depending on which way the fan is mounted). 6 or half a dozen...
There are three potential outcomes: no change, better and worse. My understanding is that with a top mounted fan, a down blowing orientation has been found (through testing) to be the preferred approach in most situations. AFAIK, that analysis has not been conducted for these types of HSF.
It may be a bit more complicated than that. Outcomes for what? It may be that with it blowing down, different parts of the motherboard are being cooled, which would not be cooled if it were blowing up.

Orochium

Post by Orochium » Fri Apr 20, 2012 12:26 pm

Mats wrote:Thank you for the review, I've been waiting for this one.
leem wrote:Would the cooler also work if the fan blew upward through the fins?
This.
Sort of hilarious, but I registered here just to report my experience with doing exactly this (since this result comes up highest in the list when googling for Kozuti)

I purchased and installed the Scythe Kozuti inside of a Lian-Li Q11B on a Zotac Z68ITX-A-E wifi board (made a teeny tiny game box for lan gaming) and figured out a few things.

1. The Kozuti's 80x80x10mm (rather anemic) fan is not the most durable build quality. Flipping it to blow 'up' through the kozuti's fins, and thus out the PSU exhaust (since its right overtop the heatsink inside of the Q11B case) did in fact work, but on the fan I received, the fan blades were rather loose and wobbly on the center hub, sometimes it works properly, sometimes it doesn't. If you want to find an out-of-pocket replacement, check out the Evercool 80 x 10 22CFM/<27 db fan over on frozen CPU (not an endorsement, but one of the few places that carry it) as an alternative.

2. It works better in this case blowing up into the PSU exhaust. With the kozuti fan blowing at the base of the Heatsink, it idled around 50-52 C after I had the whole system together.

Currently it idles around 32-34C with the fan blowing up through the fins towards the PSU exhaust fan, all of the BIOS/Speedstep settings stayed the same between tests (65W Core i3-2105 used for testing).

3. Running this for a 95W CPU is not recommended, the highest I'd go in this sort of configuration is an Intel Core i7-2600S 65W Quad-core Hyper-threaded processor, as it gives you the best blend of processing power and cool/silent operation (which is my next upgrade).

4. The kozuti is quiet, until you load it, during games it gets a healthy set of pipes, so be prepared for an earful when this happens, luckily, the PWM keeps it mostly quiet when you're not really cranking things out.

Note: I was not attempting to build a perfectly quiet system when making this, but a portable LAN party system, that was both efficient and capable of handling most of the things I threw at it, it was a great success in the end, so figured I'd share my notes with you folks here.

Photos (WARNING: huge)
http://www.demonpop.com/private/4_heatsink_fitment.JPG
http://www.demonpop.com/private/7_power ... lation.JPG

Scrooge

Post by Scrooge » Sat Oct 27, 2012 7:33 am

This little guy, unfortunately, seems to have been discontinued. Hard to find something else this small and effective.

EddyMac

Post by EddyMac » Sat Oct 27, 2012 3:19 pm

Scrooge,

Not sure what makes you think it's been discontinued. I just bought and installed one this week and Amazon's listing is still very much alive:

http://www.amazon.com/Scythe-Profile-Un ... 00501PZ7C/

flemeister

Post by flemeister » Sat Oct 27, 2012 6:14 pm

Scrooge wrote:This little guy, unfortunately, seems to have been discontinued. Hard to find something else this small and effective.
I wonder if the Noctua NH-L9 can be a good replacement? Need to see a performance comparison though.

Scrooge

Post by Scrooge » Sun Oct 28, 2012 7:34 am

flemeister wrote:
Scrooge wrote:This little guy, unfortunately, seems to have been discontinued. Hard to find something else this small and effective.
I wonder if the Noctua NH-L9 can be a good replacement? Need to see a performance comparison though.
That and the TR AXP-100 would make an awesome review.

MikeC
Site Admin

Post by MikeC » Sun Oct 28, 2012 7:42 am

Noctua samples are coming but no info on TR samples yet.

flemeister

Post by flemeister » Fri Nov 23, 2012 1:40 am

Review of the Noctua NH-L9 just popped up, for anyone interested. :)

http://www.silentpcreview.com/Noctua_NH-L9i