Antec Solo II HD suspension bad for drives?

Enclosures and acoustic damping to help quiet them.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Devonavar

scoring4film

Antec Solo II HD suspension bad for drives?

Post by scoring4film » Thu Apr 26, 2012 7:29 am

Thanks in part to the great reviews here at SPCR, I just picked up an Antec Solo II.

The retail tech tried to talk me out of buying it, claiming that Solo II's HD suspension system increases the risk of HD failure.

He claimed that the vibration of the free-floating drive will cause the drive to be in constant motion and that this slight motion will stress the read/write heads of the drive, which will need to compensate for the motion, and that this extra stress will shorten the life of the drive.

Anyone heard this claim before or have any thoughts on it?

thanks!

dhanson865

Re: Antec Solo II HD suspension bad for drives?

Post by dhanson865 » Thu Apr 26, 2012 8:20 am

scoring4film wrote:Thanks in part to the great reviews here at SPCR, I just picked up an Antec Solo II.

The retail tech tried to talk me out of buying it, claiming that Solo II's HD suspension system increases the risk of HD failure.

He claimed that the vibration of the free-floating drive will cause the drive to be in constant motion and that this slight motion will stress the read/write heads of the drive, which will need to compensate for the motion, and that this extra stress will shorten the life of the drive.

Anyone heard this claim before or have any thoughts on it?

thanks!
It'll lower performance but not reliability. (slower random access times, long transfer rates will be essentially unchanged)

Depending on your fan positions, type, speeds, etcetera the suspended drive may be warmer or cooler than a drive in contact with the metal of the drive cage.

Don't worry about either, the effects on reliability are minimal to non existent.

ces

Re: Antec Solo II HD suspension bad for drives?

Post by ces » Thu Apr 26, 2012 11:09 am

dhanson865 wrote:It'll lower performance but not reliability.
Can you explain the cause and effect in a little more detail?