The quest for a silent 120mm PWM fan!

Control: management of fans, temp/rpm monitoring via soft/hardware

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

hyperspun

The quest for a silent 120mm PWM fan!

Post by hyperspun » Sat Apr 28, 2012 8:09 pm

Hey what's up guys, first time posting here but have been a silent computer enthusiast for years!

Lately I've been trying to find a 120mm pwm fan that is extremely silent, but so far no luck. I've ordered a couple of Cougar CF-V12HP fans from newegg which has high ratings, and although the motor itself is quiet, and static pressure/airflow is excellent, these still omit a very annoying humming noise. Many reviewers suggest the humming comes from the PWM motor.

I'm using an Antec P180 Mini case with an Asus Maximus Gene-Z IV motherboard, which only have 4-pin fan connections (PWM). This way I'm controlling the fans through software and adjusts speeds according to temperature. Yet for whatever reason, using regular 3-pin fans do not respond and are at a fixed rpm.

So back to my original question - what is the most silent 120mm pwm fan out right now? Any help is appreciated!

Lithium466

Re: The quest for a silent 120mm PWM fan!

Post by Lithium466 » Sun Apr 29, 2012 12:49 pm

I think Nanoxia FX Evo 1000rpm PWM http://www.nanoxia-world.com/luefter/fx ... 00rpm.html
since it runs @ 1000rpm only... otherwise you can try Noiseblocker PL-PS or M12-PS, or be quiet! Shadow Wings PWM.

kuzzia
Friend of SPCR

Post by kuzzia » Sun Apr 29, 2012 1:12 pm

A Scythe PWM fan is a safe bet - it can be dialed down to 300 rpm (virtually silent) via PWM fan control, and I, among others, have very good experiences with this fan.

If on a budget, you could also try the Arctic Cooling F12 PWM. Try searching for it in the forums. One of the members has posted his comments on the mentioned fan.

hyperspun

Post by hyperspun » Sun Apr 29, 2012 1:38 pm

Thanks for the suggestions! I'll look into those.