Coolers for Mini-ITX Intel build

Cooling Processors quietly

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

kaotikfunk

Coolers for Mini-ITX Intel build

Post by kaotikfunk » Thu May 03, 2012 12:35 pm

The new Noctua review looks good, but I think it will block the PCI-e slot in the Intel DH77DF ivy bridge mini-itx board. Noctua says it will block the PCI-e slot in the DH67CF, which appears to have the same layout. (list here http://www.noctua.at/main.php?show=comp ... 1155_Intel)

I looked into the Scythe Big Shuriken, and it looks like it has the same overhang. Does anyone have other suggestions that would work on a standard layout Intel board without blocking the PCI-e slot? I think the Q11 will give me 90mm vertical clearance, plus a few more with a SFX power supply.

Here's my planned build:
Lian Li Q11
Intel DH77DF
Cooler - unknown
Core i5-2450S (65w)
2x 4G Samsung DDR3-1600, 1.35v
Dual SSDs
FSP 300w SFX power supply - this will give a bit more clearance, but I'm not counting on going past 90mm tall cooler
Asus HD6850 - pulling from old system in my signature

ntavlas

Re: Coolers for Mini-ITX Intel build

Post by ntavlas » Thu May 03, 2012 2:45 pm

The Prolimatech Samuel 17 could be a solution. It`s not the best value but it`s design allows it to clear the pci-e slot in most mini itx boards.

kaotikfunk

Post by kaotikfunk » Thu May 03, 2012 4:31 pm

Thanks for the tip - that looks better. Does it work with the Intel backplate?

Do you happen to have the model # of the fan? I have only found 25mm tall so far @ NewEgg

Abula

Post by Abula » Thu May 03, 2012 5:08 pm

Using a standard PSU you can fit on Thermalright AXP140 on a Q11, but no room for a 25mm fan, i believe you can go with 10mm, but crosscheck it in the following thread New Lian Li PC- Q11 itx case : Specification & Feature. Now with SFX PSU i believe you might be able to fit it with a 140x25mm fan, like TY140 or Noiseblocker PK1. The AXP 140 is very nice as its desgin when positioning the pipes oposite to the PCI express it allow the the slot to be used fully by a GPU (as long as it doesnt have wierd stuff on the back like heatsinks). Here is an interesting build with the AXP140 and mini itx board, but this is on Q08 which do allow the fan 140x25mm with a standard PSU, Mini ITX H67 Silent Gaming System.

ntavlas

Post by ntavlas » Fri May 04, 2012 3:27 am

Does it work with the Intel backplate?

Do you happen to have the model # of the fan? I have only found 25mm tall so far @ NewEgg
The first question should be best answered by someone who has used this cooler on a similar board, what I do know is that on mini itx boards it`s possible to encounter components near the backplate that can interfere with the installation of many coolers. Fortunately, Newegg has pictures of the backside of most motherboards so you could take a look before choosing a cooler.

As for the fan, the Samuel comes without one. I`m 90% sure a 25mm fan will fit but you prefer to use a 12mm thick one you could look at those made by Skythe. Not that there are many choices when it comes to slim fans.

ces

Post by ces » Fri May 04, 2012 9:14 am

ntavlas wrote:The Prolimatech Samuel 17 could be a solution. It`s not the best value but it`s design allows it to clear the pci-e slot in most mini itx boards.
I have a Lian Li Q09 with the FSP 300 and the Samuel 17 running a Nexus fan. It is running a Q9550 chip which generates much more heat than the CPU in question. Everything runs very cool in the 30s.

kaotikfunk

Post by kaotikfunk » Thu May 24, 2012 11:57 am

I couldn't find the Samuel 17 anywhere, but I'll keep looking. For now I decided to go ahead and install an Antec Kuhler 620.

Here's a teaser showing how it fit, but I'll post a full build thread once its done.
WP_000687.jpg
WP_000702.jpg
(edited - switched from bad links to attachments)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by kaotikfunk on Fri Jun 01, 2012 12:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

4mat

Post by 4mat » Fri May 25, 2012 8:18 pm

Hello,

I would suggest the Zalman CNPS8900 low profile cooler (60mm). You get good cooling performance for its height(temps will drop 6C-10C over stock cooler)

jdubs

Post by jdubs » Fri Jun 01, 2012 8:56 am

kaotikfunk wrote:I couldn't find the Samuel 17 anywhere, but I'll keep looking. For now I decided to go ahead and install an Antec Kuhler 620.

Here's a teaser showing how it fit, but I'll post a full build thread once its done.

Your pics didn't come through and I would definitely love to see / hear more about how you dealt with the Antec Kuhler and the Q11 case....sounds like a great combo!

-Jim

kaotikfunk

Post by kaotikfunk » Fri Jun 01, 2012 12:24 pm

jdubs wrote:Your pics didn't come through and I would definitely love to see / hear more about how you dealt with the Antec Kuhler and the Q11 case....sounds like a great combo!

-Jim
Images fixed.

Here's recommended install steps, I'll try to get a complete gallery up later.
0. Burn everything in first using stock CPU cooler and whatever RAM. I lost 2 weeks in multiple RMAs trying to get a stable 2x8G setup. Getting back to those slots won't be easy.
1. Dremel or file down backplate so that only 1155/1156 posts are left. Needed for component clearance on DH77DF
2. I chose to top-mount the radiator to get the CPU heat out of the case immediately. I used a 4 3/8" hole saw, a stepped drill bit, and a half-round file to make a nice clean mounting pattern on the top. I also used a reinforced cutting disk on my dremel & file to carve out the 5 1/4" bay bracket to give clearance for the radiator. Mnpctech.com has a great guide on drilling & modding panels if you're not familiar with it.
3. Mount radiator in case
4. Don't mount motherboard, but dry fit it in case with CPU but no RAM
5. Route cables but don't attach to motherboard.
6. Get an idea of where the kuhler backing plate will be in relation to the case
7. Take motherboard out, put a piece of cardboard or book (Intel CPU manual was perfect) where the backplate will be
8. Hold Kuhler backplate on board, then put the motherboard back in the case. The book will hold the backplate where it needs to be
9. Attach CPU block firmly per instructions
10. Lift motherboard slightly, retrieve book
11. Finish mounting motherboard, ram, cables. Do video card then power supply last.

In other news, the Prolimatech Samuel 17 is back at Newegg today. I think that will fit with enough clearance and good cooling if you use a SFX power supply. Its an easier install, and might actually be quieter since there would be no pump noise.

kaotikfunk

Post by kaotikfunk » Fri Jun 01, 2012 12:37 pm

4mat wrote:Hello,

I would suggest the Zalman CNPS8900 low profile cooler (60mm). You get good cooling performance for its height(temps will drop 6C-10C over stock cooler)
That's a good point. I haven't found anyone that has confirmed whether or not it will block PCIe or RAM slots on this board yet. If anyone tries that (or the Prolimatech), be sure to post it :)