need help choosing case for positive air pressure

Enclosures and acoustic damping to help quiet them.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Devonavar

toronado455

need help choosing case for positive air pressure

Post by toronado455 » Sun May 06, 2012 12:42 am

I would like to get a new case that I can set up for positive air pressure and will have filters on the intake fans that are easy to remove and clean. I'd prefer something with no modification needed and <$150.

kuzzia
Friend of SPCR

Re: need help choosing case for positive air pressure

Post by kuzzia » Sun May 06, 2012 1:53 am

Antec Solo II. One 120 mm exhaust fan and two 120 mm intake fans (with dust filters of course). The internal volume is relatively small, so I believe the three fans will easily suffice. The SPCR review also shows that the thermal performance is quite good with the single exhaust fan (a very good fan by the way). And the built-in HD suspension system is really good!

toronado455

Post by toronado455 » Sun May 06, 2012 2:52 am

Thanks. I'm glad you mentioned the Solo II because it had dropped off my radar for some reason. I do like many things about the Solo II.

One negative for me is that the top vent doesn't appear to be filtered. So the PSU is going to get a lot of dust in it over time unless I can figure out how to filter that top vent. This may be why this case dropped off my radar. Otherwise, there's a lot I like about it.

kuzzia
Friend of SPCR

Post by kuzzia » Sun May 06, 2012 3:36 am

The PSU does look filtered in this picture:
http://www.silentpcreview.com/article1218-page3.html

toronado455

Post by toronado455 » Sun May 06, 2012 11:33 am

kuzzia wrote:The PSU does look filtered in this picture:
http://www.silentpcreview.com/article1218-page3.html
I think that's just a fine mesh intake grille. If that's in fact a 'filter' then it doesn't look easily removable. I wonder if putting a (rinsed) dryer sheet on top of that intake would catch the dust without causing too much additional airflow restriction. If not I suppose some other material could used.

Either way, I have another concern: the heat from the CPU radiating up and warming the bottom of the PSU. All of my current cases have top mount PSUs and I think I want my next case to use the bottom mount arrangment. I like the isolated chamber approach of the P183.

kuzzia
Friend of SPCR

Post by kuzzia » Sun May 06, 2012 12:02 pm

Then perhaps the m-ATX cases Fractal Design Define Mini or Silverstone Temjin TJ08-E (the latter has a similar version with two 120 mm front fans instead of a single massive 180 mm fan).

The Define Mini (and the R3) has room for two front 120 mm fan (filtered) and a bottom 120 mm fan. So three intakes. That's quite a lot :)

toronado455

Post by toronado455 » Sun May 06, 2012 12:13 pm

Thanks, but I want regular ATX, not m-ATX. (I probably should have specified that) I'll take a look at the R3.

paapaa

Post by paapaa » Sun May 06, 2012 1:01 pm

I don't know about positive pressure thing but other than that R3 is a great case. The included fans suck - you want to replace them. They made some slightly clicking noise. I now use a single 800RPM Nexus case fan and my computer is very, very quiet.

amjedm

Post by amjedm » Sun May 06, 2012 1:50 pm

I have the Fractal Design Core 3000. Two front intakes - 120 and 140, plus bottom fan. Also has option to install two 120 at the top and one on the side.

Having said that, I believe the build quality is far better on the R3...

toronado455

Post by toronado455 » Sun May 06, 2012 2:46 pm

From the pictures I've found of the R3, I can't tell how exactly air flows into the case from the air vents that run vertically along the left and right sides of the front bezel. Specifically, I can't tell whether air flows directly into the case from those vents unfiltered, of if those vents supply additional airflow to the front fans (pre-filter) and the air gets filtered at that point.

SST Guy
-- Vendor --

Post by SST Guy » Mon May 07, 2012 12:17 am

From SilverStone, KL04 and TJ04-E are two tower cases that you can consider. Both were designed for positive pressure and with easily removable filters on nearly all sides.

toronado455

Post by toronado455 » Mon May 07, 2012 10:14 am

SST Guy wrote:From SilverStone, KL04 and TJ04-E are two tower cases that you can consider. Both were designed for positive pressure and with easily removable filters on nearly all sides.
Thanks. I'll take a look at both.

The TJ04-E is certainly different. I'm not sold on the idea of drawing in air from vents in the top of a case. Dust naturally settles down, and warm air naturally flows up. In addition, there is the risk of a hot air loop from the exhaust on the top rear getting pulled back into the case through the top vents. If there are vents in the top of a case, I'd prefer those to be used as exhaust vents.

On the TJ04-E, you could always reverse the fans on the top, but then you will need to increase the speeds of other intake fans or add more intake fans to compensate and restore the positive pressure. Before you know it you've got 7 fans running.

It seems to me that positive pressure would easier to do in a case that has fewer vents in general, and could be therefore accomplished with fewer fans in general. I want to make sure I'm getting air flow over the logicboard heatsinks surrounding the CPU. With air exiting the case in multiple locations, it becomes more of a task to direct airflow in a specific area.

I think if I got the TJ04-E, I'd be tempted to seal off the entire back panel and use only the top vent for exhaust, which is probably the opposite of how the case is designed to work. :-)

At the moment, my favorite is the Antec P280, though I still really like the Solo II.

toronado455

Post by toronado455 » Mon Jun 11, 2012 7:52 pm

amjedm wrote:I have the Fractal Design Core 3000. Two front intakes - 120 and 140, plus bottom fan. Also has option to install two 120 at the top and one on the side.

Having said that, I believe the build quality is far better on the R3...
How would you say the Fractal Design Core 3000 compares with the NZXT Tempest 410? They both seem to be about the least expensive cases with filtered fans you can buy. The Core 3000 looks better to me. The PSU filter on the 410 is a joke. Too bad neither case has a filter on the 120mm fan placement on the case floor next to the PSU. How would you rate the front intake filter on the 3000? From the pictures I've found, it appears the the front intake filters on both the 410 and 3000 are not very easily accessed.

Olaf van der Spek

Post by Olaf van der Spek » Tue Jun 12, 2012 5:24 am

toronado455 wrote:Either way, I have another concern: the heat from the CPU radiating up and warming the bottom of the PSU. All of my current cases have top mount PSUs and I think I want my next case to use the bottom mount arrangment. I like the isolated chamber approach of the P183.
Don't you have airflow from the exhaust fan? I doubt the CPU will heat up the PSU.

I can't imagina Antec not having a filtered intake for the PSU. A PSU on top would allow intakes on the bottom, but Antec didn't take advantage of that.
toronado455 wrote:On the TJ04-E, you could always reverse the fans on the top, but then you will need to increase the speeds of other intake fans or add more intake fans to compensate and restore the positive pressure. Before you know it you've got 7 fans running.
How about moving the fan to an intake instead?